Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Re: Rubber rejuvenator? any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Waylon View Post
    when cleaning feed rollers in copiers etc. we used to used alcohol, but that dries out rollers and shortens their natural life.

for years we have used a product called HL Platten cleaner, by coopers, that we would get from Katun, but we cannot seem to find it any more.

We are looking for product that will extend the natural life of rollers. any suggestions?
    We use AF Platenclene from Katun, just checked their website you can still get it, it's also good for cleaning the encrusted toner at the entrance of fusers
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Rubber rejuvenator? any suggestions

Either WD-40 or water+soap. About WD40 curing arthritis I don't know (although if I ever develop arthritis, I'll let you know), but it saved my wife's cell phone's touchscreen after it got sprinkled with wall paint.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Either WD-40 or water+soap. About WD40 curing arthritis I don't know (although if I ever develop arthritis, I'll let you know), but it saved my wife's cell phone's touchscreen after it got sprinkled with wall paint.
    Painting and texting at the same time - you have quite a talented wife mrwho.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Painting and texting at the same time - you have quite a talented wife mrwho.
    You have no idea...
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Service Manager 100+ Posts kyrenecopy's Avatar

Easy, soap and water or replace the tires. doesn't matter what the tire is made of.
    Testing 1-2-3, testing, testing. Is this thing on?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    The way I see it, if cleaning it with plain watered down windex does'nt do it, then its time to replace the rollers. Trying to clean them with any harsher cleaners will only earn you an extra trip to the customer's here and there. Cheaper to fix it right the first time
    Replacing the part is perhaps the best in many circumstances, but sometimes one should actually work instead of switching out some Lego pieces.
    There are many clients that do not have service contracts rendering indiscriminate replacement(s) not viable. Why does everyone seem to default to replacing parts as if they are free in this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWTAPE View Post
    I used to use wd40 on certain rubber feed rollers and path rollers. It'd seemed all good until a couple a months later, the rubber turned like a sticky putty. Bad, Bad, Bad. Jams galore. Never again. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF SOLUTION BESIDES ALCOHOL, SOAP OR WATER.
    Okay...

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Drop the alcohol and your golden. Soapy water works best, but alcohol wrecks rubber, so that won't work even a little bit.
    Yes, if one were to bathe rubber in alcohol for extended periods of time it would probably cause issues, but the way I see it, it works very well for cleaning purposes. And I believe that the damage would be so microscopic its not even worth consideration.

Maybe we can take a tip from the Romans and start cleaning with urine: cleaning
    (I wonder why there is a hyperlink in my prior post in "master brake cylinder," strange...)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Put your heart to rest,....simply use Water & soap. There's a powder detergent here on our market called 'OMO', manufactured by the internationally renowned Dutch company ' UNILEVER'. Mildly dissolved in water it does wonders on the rubber feed tires, as well as the plastic covers. A few years ago a chemical in a pressurized container, labeled 'Contact Cleaner' invaded our local market here. It was really good. It was a PHILLIPS brand from Netherlands. We could even use it to clean dusty Sensors, optical rails etc. It was selling like 'hot cakes', much better than the WD-40. Then the unthinkable happened! The product disappeared from the shelves for sometime, and when it 'came back' on the market it was not the the same PHILLIPS contact cleaner we knew, but its Duplicate or possibly even Quadruplicate with NO clear label of origin. This did us great damage. You could spray it on the sensor or rubber tires at your own peril. We resorted to the WD-40 instead, its good for removing dry joints & squeaking noise in machines. I now mostly use nothing but water with mild detergent or soap.

We have Omo here, it's a detergent used to hand wash clothing. It's not practical to carry it around, but I'll probably try to carry a small bottle with water'n'Omo and see how it fares...
    Mascan42

Ibid

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

We have Omo here, it's a detergent used to hand wash clothing. It's not practical to carry it around, but I'll probably try to carry a small bottle with water'n'Omo and see how it fares...
    You are right to say it's not practical to carry it around. What I normally do is to 'pre-mix' the two to form a weak solution in a separate bowl and then pour in a small bottle. make sure the omo is completely dissolved, with little or no particle seen in the mixture. (Warm water quickens the dissolution process). Apply on apiece of lint-free cloth to clean the rubbers, after this you may also need to 'rinse' with clean water damped on a separate piece of cloth. For cleaning the external covers, you may need to increase the concentration of the solution. Good Luck.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

well if it does cure arthritis....then maybe you won't get it....cos it's cured it before you had it....
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...