Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Riso/computer interfacing

Anyone know of a good resource as to which Risos can interface with a computer to print, as opposed to just copying? Or if there's particular vocab word I should look for in the brochures online?

I have a really new macbook pro with retina display, and want to use it to make books. Am looking at a
    GR3750 right now but this question constantly comes up.

Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Riso/computer interfacing

You'll need an SC rip (either 7700, 7500 or 5500) with the riso cord (to connect the riso to the rip, then a parallel to usb or something like that to connect your computer to the rip.) From what I've read, you can't print from a Mac with an OS newer than leopard.

There are a few threads on copytech about this... i'm desperate: gr3750 vs sc7500

Technician

What is a rip, exactly? I'm really really starting out here, haha. If there's a resource easier for you than explaining, please free to link, I really appreciate the help!

But you mean you can't print to a GR3750 with an OS later than leopard, right? Newer Risos are an exception?

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

RIP= Raster Image Processor

This is the "box" or print controller, that connects your computer to the RISO.

Using an old GR RISO with a newer Mac may be a challenge, either look for a newer RISO, or downgrade to an older Windows PC......
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

Technician

I had no luck trying to get my mac to network to my RP 3700. What I did was found an old windows laptop (usually really cheap or free on Craigslist if you look hard enough), installed the network software from riso's site and networked it to the printer. Then made a shared dropbox folder between my mac and the windows pc to transfer print files with ease. Also nice because I don't have to have my lug my mac computer directly next to the machine to print.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

The Riso GR line is obsolete (Drat.). As is the RN line (Yay!). As is the RP line (Um, aww.).
    You would be better served looking into the newer Risos. If you ever need parts, anyway.
    Well, unless someone paid you to take a perfectly working Riso GR which came with a SC3750 or something, then you'd probably have a gem, or at least enough money to take the thing to the dump.

My RP3700 and SC7950 work great on any OS, also OSX 10.10 (yosemite) and Debian Linux 8. Just use CUPS (+ the original riso ppd driver file)!

For Mac OSX:
    -make sure your rip is on the network, turned on and has an IP address
    -open cups in browser http://localhost:631/admin/
    - add printer
    - select Windows printer via spoolss
    - use the following format to fill in your RIP's IP: socket://ipaddress
    - provide ppd driver file for your riso
    - Done!

You will get an error after setting up, about conflicting settings, enable the multifeed(? i forgot..)
    Just enable multifeed tray (select 'installed' in drop down menu) and the error is gone.

Happy printing from any system print dialog!

Quote Originally Posted by bfbifocals View Post
    What is a rip, exactly? I'm really really starting out here, haha. If there's a resource easier for you than explaining, please free to link, I really appreciate the help!

But you mean you can't print to a GR3750 with an OS later than leopard, right? Newer Risos are an exception?
    I see you got your answers and "then" have a great solution, and I think I would have been happy to read something like that some months ago. But...
    but I've got to say I was wondering for an old riso because it's cheap for a time, but as far as I have searched, buying a RIP was so expensive and so hard to find I finally... buy a used RZ ! (plugged it on my modem et voilà).
    Depends on what you look for, but in terms of $, I think buying a GR can become more complicated than what it looks !

Quote Originally Posted by then View Post
    My RP3700 and SC7950 work great on any OS, also OSX 10.10 (yosemite) and Debian Linux 8. Just use CUPS (+ the original riso ppd driver file)!

For Mac OSX:
    -make sure your rip is on the network, turned on and has an IP address
    -open cups in browser http://localhost:631/admin/
    - add printer
    - select Windows printer via spoolss
    - use the following format to fill in your RIP's IP: socket://ipaddress
    - provide ppd driver file for your riso
    - Done!

You will get an error after setting up, about conflicting settings, enable the multifeed(? i forgot..)
    Just enable multifeed tray (select 'installed' in drop down menu) and the error is gone.

Happy printing from any system print dialog!
    So.... Wow. First of all: Thanks! Is that via RIP or can I just connect my RP via the Ethernet port to a Router and my Computer to the Router as well? I'm so overwhelmed by this network stuff. Could you elaborate on that a bit? (in case connecting via Ethernet works at all — I don't have a RIP)

My RIP has an ethernet-card, so I connect my computer to that and the RIP to the riso using the proprietary 'riso cable'. You could also plug the RIP in your (wifi)router/modem and print via wifi
    You will need to know the IP address of your RIP to set up up properly, here is another topic with the basic outline > RISO SC7700 Drivers