Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lexmark X502n

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Lexmark X502n

I have Lexmark X502n colour MFP and it copied with very low contrast. Printing was OK.
    I cleaned the scanner assy with glass and mirror cleaner and after then the wide black stripe (around 8cm) appeared.
    Then I made another cleaning of mirrors and glass, but another black stripe appeared also on left side.
    So now, I have on the right and left side wide black vertical stripes.
    It appears through ADF copying and also glass copying.

Where can be the problem?

Thanks.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Lexmark X502n

You know the old saying, "if it was okay before you worked on it, re-trace your steps." First guess is that you got something back together incorrectly when you took apart that scanner.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I've tried to make same steps again.
    No black stripes, but the text is blurry and missing sharpness.
    The scanner didn't scan it like really looks it, but I hope for example it's enough.

Before:

After:

Have you some idea, where can be the problem, or what to do to have same sharp text as before?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

That looks more like a bad toner cartridge. Stop it mid cycle and see if the image on the drum is dark.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by draph View Post
    That looks more like a bad toner cartridge. Stop it mid cycle and see if the image on the drum is dark.
    The prints from the device menu are OK.
    It happenes only when copying, so probably there must be something with scanner assy?
    I tried to clean only mirrors. I cleaned it several times same way on HP machines with no problems afterwards.
    Last edited by spree; 04-25-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Chances are you will need a new scanner unit. I have tried to clean Lexmark scanners, but have found it to be a waste of time as it never solves the problem for me.
    I guess you might double check the white reference strip to make sure it isn't dirty, but more likely than not the CCD is failing. And a new scanner unit is the only solution for that.
    Luckily, if you have the service manual, the scanner isn't that hard to change, and it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

What can caused the different image after every three disassembly, cleaning and assembly? The white stripe?

As far as the streaks go, it could have been the CCD circuitry trying to reset after you turned the machine on, and having trouble reading the outputs from a different group of elements in the CCD. Or it could be as simple as some dust in the scanner that you moved when you were cleaning it. It really doesn't take that much contamination inside the scanner to cause streaks.
    The print quality displayed in the pictures could be caused by the white strip. As that is what the scanner uses as a reference for white, if the white strip is dirty the machine will make light copies.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

CCD Reset - you mean Factory default settings, through "Clear menu settings" ?
    If yes, think I've tried it, but can do it once more.

Quote Originally Posted by spree View Post
    CCD Reset - you mean Factory default settings, through "Clear menu settings" ?
    If yes, think I've tried it, but can do it once more.
    Actually, when first turned on, one of the things the machine does is scan the white strip, and then checks the output value of every element in the CCD against the expected output. If the machine detects differences in any of the elements of the CCD, it tries changing things so that the output value is the expected value. If the white strip is contaminated, it can cause problems during that procedure.
    You probably already know that. Sorry, I should have explained that better.