Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    General Manager 50+ Posts copyruss's Avatar
    Used to keep a package of those velcro dots in my toolcase. The old Mita 152 & 211/313z series, the front cover magnet was on the machine, the catch plate was on the front cover, held in by flimsy tabs (which everyone tried to glue, epoxy, jb-weld). A set of those self-stick velcro dots kept the door closed, but I do admit that it sounded pretty damn funny whenever the front cover was opened...

Technician
    I had a Canon NP 50 that was 150 miles away and the customer called asking how to fix a streaking copy. In those days Canon supplied an alcohol bottle with a cleaning swab to clean the coronas. Of course these seismographers had lost their bottle. I asked them if they had any alcohol. They had some gin. I had them clean the coronas with a q tip and gin. One happy copier and some happy customers.

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    MacGuyver Tool-kit: Sticky-back velcro tape, sticky-backed thin aluminum strips, twisty-ties from bread wrappers, duct & electric & painters tapes, Paper Clips. Even those spiral plastic binder thingies you find at engineering accounts. What else goes in MacGuyver's Tool Kit ?magician_rabbit_hat.jpg
    Kevin900

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Whats Your Best Macguyver

These, in various sizes.

What are they called in english?

' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

WOETC
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    These, in various sizes.

What are they called in english?

Those are cable ties round here or zippy ties, and they are the invention that put sliced bread down the list. I've lost count of the number and type of repairs I've made with those. They have made a number of exit actuators and held marriages together.

General Manager 50+ Posts copyruss's Avatar
    Zipties also come in handy making great practical jokes. One of my faves - you need one of the long zipties - the longer, the better (that's what she said) - secure it around your "victim's" driveshaft of his car. A variation of the rubber glove prank. Makes a helluva racket, especially if positioned so that it hits the muffler - dual exhaust even better. And of course I would never condone such a thing.

USMC 50+ Posts

speaking of cars, my Mac. moment was on my way to a call !!! we have chev *** as tech cars . while on my way to a call aprox. 1.5 hrs away my car quit . upon restart could not turn key . what to do ? well my old days as a car guy came in use . I noticed the shifter was not engaging to unlock key. I then took shifter apart found broken shaft made of plastic. called AAA said it would be over 1 hr wait. not wanting to miss this call (you know the ones $$$) I was able to fabricate a new shaft using a web rod from pana 2310 and spring from fusser pressure unit. reinstalled shifter put in park key came out . this was aprox 20k miles ago still working.

I've done so many i dont know where to begin with... soldering iron and paper clips are some of my best friends... zip ties, Araldite, super glue, random pieces of plastic are always in my case
    One i had to pull out of the hat in a hurry, went to a client to answer a call on a Kyocera... Wile i was there out of the blue one of the clients printer an OKI B&W gave fuser error... since i was there i took a look, the thermal sensor on the fuser was pretty bad... the protection tape was worn and one of the legs of the thermal probe broke... (Client) But i have a kazillion bills i need to print and sent out in the mail today!!!!!!! i was like UGH! hummmm how to make it work... pulled out the charger of the laptop... the probes of the multimeter... and on top of the knee made an electro arch soldering... protected the tip again... and its still working till today....

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Whats Your Best Macguyver

This was a fun fix. The "D" shaped bore of this gear 22T has spun. There wasn't much material to work with so I added a little steel:

Gear 22T eStudio 3510C Primary Cleaner.JPGGear 22T Cleaning Unit.JPG

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Whats Your Best Macguyver

12_05 129.jpg12_05 133.jpg12_05 138.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    @scepter2112
    awesome...I'd have liked to see photos of that one

@Dalamar
    I couldn't open Dalamar's photos. would have liked to see those too.