Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: What is the dumbist customer comment/question you've heard?

About a year ago I got called to a lawyers office on a Bizhub 421 saying they couldn't get the toner loaded into the machine correctly. Common issue with this model, as the collar on the toner tray can become misaligned with the tray and the bottle won't fit 100% in it.

As I'm walking in to the customers office, I look at the receptionist and say I'm here to repair the copier, at that exact moment, I look over her shoulder and see the lawyer put the bottle in, close the two doors as best as he can, hold them in place, pick his foot up and KICK THE DOOR AS HARD AS HE CAN to get it to hopefully close. I heard the worst sound in the world as he Bruce Lee'd this damn machine. I walked up to him, said "Why?" and pulled the toner doors apart, pulled the bottle out, aligned the now broken collar and just sighed. This guy looks at me and goes "Well they should tell us about that!". Without missing a beat, I grabbed the box the toner came in and showed him the 6 pictures on the side of the box that distinctly warn the user about this.

He broke the toner tray, toner latches,the toner supply system, motors and OACB with that kick. And I charged him $1,000 to fix it, even though they were on contract and collected the check myself.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ignacio.cortez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Yep, had one of those as well, none of the techs could hear it, even the youngest one in his early twentys (does listed to doof doof music though) I got sent to sort it out even though my hearing is shot. Had to get one of the office girls to sit next to me while unplugged all the fans one by one until she told me the noise had stopped. Even with my ear up against the fan I couldn't hear anything, must have been a very high frequency squeal. Did get thanked by all the women in the office for getting rid of the noise that was setting their teeth on edge.
    LOL I had a similar one a couple of years back, a good troubleshooter that I am, wanted to get to the bottom of it, I pulled out my phone with the "Dog Whistle" App and let it rip.... sure enough, she peaked out her head to find out where the noise was comming out of....... PREICELESS.......!!

Fax related call....

Customer complained that the fax would not send!
    I asked her to show me what the problem was an she inserted a page in the machine, dialed a number and pressed send. We watched the page disappear into the machine and then reappear out the exit, to her screaming "See! It didn't go anywhere!! It's coming out the front!"
    I had to explain that the machine did not screw up the paper and stuff it into the phone line.. Still not sure if she believed me....

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ignacio.cortez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordless12 View Post
    Fax related call....

I asked her to show me what the problem was an she inserted a page in the machine, dialed a number and pressed send. We watched the page disappear into the machine and then reappear out the exit, to her screaming "See! It didn't go anywhere!! It's coming out the front!"
    I had to explain that the machine did not screw up the paper and stuff it into the phone line.. Still not sure if she believed me....

Should have told her that there are some Gremmlins that copy the information really fast, then call the Gremmlins on the other machine, The Other Gremmlins write down the information and print it for the recipient to see

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What is the dumbist customer comment/question you've heard?

Quote Originally Posted by cordless12 View Post
    Fax related call....

Well cordless12, I think you customer might CLUELESS.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We just had a customer email in to say that they found the Service Department unhelpful and rude. I thought "that can't be right, we're either unhelpful or rude, we wouldn't go out of our way to be both!"
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    We just had a customer email in to say that they found the Service Department unhelpful and rude. I thought "that can't be right, we're either unhelpful or rude, we wouldn't go out of our way to be both!"
    I hate being the focus of something like that, so sometimes, if I'm in a foul mood, I spend a few minutes in the car out the front of the business taking deep breaths and putting my happy mask on.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Well cordless12, I think you customer might CLUELESS.

Either way... It made me feel "USELESS"...!!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I once had a new fax customer who insisted that she could program her speed dials by faxing it a text document, and that it would automagically program itself. (Keep in mind that this was probably 20 years ago - NO fax machine had a network cable going to it back then.)

When I told her that was impossible, she said: "Well that's how we programmed our old one!"

Yeah, right...
    Actually there was a Sharp machine FO80 and that was exactly how you programmed the speed dials and some service parameters..
    It was a tick sheet sort of thing that you scanned ADF not exactly faxing yourself but I could see a customer explaining it that way...

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drwevil View Post
    Actually there was a Sharp machine FO80 and that was exactly how you programmed the speed dials and some service parameters..
    It was a tick sheet sort of thing that you scanned ADF not exactly faxing yourself but I could see a customer explaining it that way...
    That was a program called "FAST" - not something we advertised to our customers; handy, but a PITA.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --