View Poll Results: What is your biggest obstacle in selling Document Scanning?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • No demand

7 46.67%
  • Too little margin

3 20.00%
  • No commitment from my boss

1 6.67%
  • Too long sales cycle

2 13.33%
  • I know too little

2 13.33%
  • Other

0 0%
  • No obstacles

3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Question What is the biggest obstacle in selling Document Capture as part of an MFP Sale?

MFP devices are touted as ‘multifunctional’ which includes scanning. So why are you limiting yourself and your customers to scan to email or scan to folder solutions OR bypassing scanning altogether?
    By incorporating Capture, the industry will take a big step in becoming more to the client than the ‘copier salesman’. Recently, I’ve heard many of you about charging per scan. What’s holding you back from exploring other ways to make money from scanning?
    At Fenestrae we're regularly looking for resellers for our cloud capture and processing solution Udocx - Smart Scanning Made Easy. We've noticed that most copier sales are very confident when it comes to hardware. You know your prints per minute, your costs per page, but once you turn to selling scanning solutions you're going to be talking software. And talking about ‘the cloud’ and ‘metadata’ for ‘workflow automation’ are things many of you may be unfamiliar with.
    What holds you back from getting the revenue you want from scanning?

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    What is the biggest obstacle in selling Document Capture as part of an MFP Sale?

Re: What is the biggest obstacle in selling Document Capture as part of an MFP Sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Irisvh View Post
    MFP devices are touted as ‘multifunctional’ which includes scanning. So why are you limiting yourself and your customers to scan to email or scan to folder solutions OR bypassing scanning altogether?
    By incorporating Capture, the industry will take a big step in becoming more to the client than the ‘copier salesman’. Recently, I’ve heard many of you about charging per scan. What’s holding you back from exploring other ways to make money from scanning?
    At Fenestrae we're regularly looking for resellers for our cloud capture and processing solution Udocx - Smart Scanning Made Easy. We've noticed that most copier sales are very confident when it comes to hardware. You know your prints per minute, your costs per page, but once you turn to selling scanning solutions you're going to be talking software. And talking about ‘the cloud’ and ‘metadata’ for ‘workflow automation’ are things many of you may be unfamiliar with.
    What holds you back from getting the revenue you want from scanning?
    What a clever way of disguising an advertisement.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Re: What is the biggest obstacle in selling Document Capture as part of an MFP Sale?

And here I was preparing for a genuine discussion on DMS software... Oh well, cute advert tho.

Technician

Haha, thank you guys. The question I pose is a real one though. I've been following the forums for a while now and it's almost always focused on printing. Is that really where the money is for you now and in the future?

What is the biggest obstacle in selling Document Capture as part of an MFP Sale?

Haha, thank you guys. The question I pose is a real one though. I've been following the forums for a while now and it's almost always focused on printing. Is that really where the money is for you now and in the future?
    Agreed, the validity of the question is real and should provoke a great discourse of the pros/cons of doc storage. My original post just highlighted the fact that while an interesting subject, all your post, so far, have always included a link to what you're advertising. The folks that are paying for advertising here are probably a little peeved by your 'free' advertising.
    The money, up until recently, has been with 'clicks' (copy-prints), and until we start charging for scans or the software for those scans to document storage, the money will still be for pages passed through the machine.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    (...) all your post, so far, have always included a link to what you're advertising.
    That's not true. See: What is up with the 30 second ad when I log in???????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    The money, up until recently, has been with 'clicks' (copy-prints), and until we start charging for scans or the software for those scans to document storage, the money will still be for pages passed through the machine.
    Do you like the idea of charging per page? Personally, I don't. Scanning doesn't use any paper or toner, and I already pay for the electricity etc. Besides, charging per scan if your competitors won't isn't going to leave you with many customers.

Alternatively, you can charge for the installation and support of scanning. That's tangible services, and you're probably already providing them free of charge for trouble with 'scan to email' or 'scan to folder' functionalities. Why not charge for that explicitly? Or even offer more advanced solutions?

Question Re: What is the biggest obstacle in selling Document Capture as part of an MFP Sale?

OK, you caught me in my dreaded use of an 'absolute' (all and always), I try to avoid absolutes for the very reason you pointed out. The point I was trying to make is that 'most' of your posts have a link to your business, and I'm assuming you're not paying for advertisements.
    P.S. - thanks for your contributing (not) posts.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Just on a side note: The link you sneaked in is not working.

Personally I would be interested in an easy to operate (and set up ofcourse) scanning software.

What is mainly needed? Putting a document on the ADF, hitting one or two buttons on the MFP, finding a SEARCHABLE scan on the workstation preferably in a folder specified by the user.

It's as simple as that. "Kat in't Bakkie"

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

From my experience there is little to no demand for document management software. I've sold DocStar, DigiDocFlow, NSI and eCopy over the years. Especially in this economy. Nobody wants to spend the money anymore for real document management software. They are content with the scanning capabilities at the machine. They don't want extra steps while standing at the machine. They want to select a destination and get it back to their desktop and that's about it. Also, many business software systems I run into in the field have a document management feature built in and I find myself configuring my machines to play nice with their existing system.

Technician

That's not true. See: What is up with the 30 second ad when I log in???????????????????

Do you like the idea of charging per page? Personally, I don't. Scanning doesn't use any paper or toner, and I already pay for the electricity etc. Besides, charging per scan if your competitors won't isn't going to leave you with many customers.

Alternatively, you can charge for the installation and support of scanning. That's tangible services, and you're probably already providing them free of charge for trouble with 'scan to email' or 'scan to folder' functionalities. Why not charge for that explicitly? Or even offer more advanced solutions?
    Well scanners have moving mechanical parts so eventually something is going to break. That has to be covered somehow