RP 3105 EP — Image quality issue with vectors and type

Hello everyone
    I am having an image-quality issue with our Riso 3105 (indeed an old one).
    We are getting great results with photographs and block colours, I can control the size of the mesh and get quite a fine dot. However, the main issue is that no matter what the settings are (both in the printer or PDF setup), the type keeps coming up a bit rasterized, that is to say, rough and missing a touch of smoothness, even at big sizes the angles look raster/bitmap like (attached a photo of what I mean). I am printing from a PDF file (not a jpeg), exported from Indesign, using the common guidelines that I've used successfully with other newer Riso printers; registration black, high res pdf, non–compressed line and vector.
    If it was an issue of the mesh resolution not being fine enough I would understand, but since I can print quite good–quality photographs I am puzzled as to why the type keeps appearing as such.
    Any help or suggestions would be more than welcomed!
    Very best
    Dario
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: RP 3105 EP — Image quality issue with vectors and type

First the caveat, I haven't worked on that many computer connected Risos. So this could be a stupid waste of time. Sorry about that.

Still, based on the pictures it looks a little bit like the images you are having problems with have a higher DPI rating than what the machine can print. Might not hurt to review the Riso's specs to make sure it can actually handle that sort of thing.

Gray scale pictures and PDFs are pretty different after all.

(By the way, thanks for the pictures, they help a lot.)

Also, I have to ask, what settings have you tried in Adobe Acrobat to fix this? That information can help the people more knowledgeable than me give you an actually useful answer.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Aftermarket masters?
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Post Re: RP 3105 EP — Image quality issue with vectors and type

Hello — thanks for the prompt answers!

Iowatech
    Good point, I will check the actual resolution of the riso when I am in the studio later today. However, the printing quality of the photographs is rather good, and I seem to be able to control the size of the mesh in the print-menu from the computer, which makes the images (however not the type) print more clear. They aren't many other options for type/vectors, and the few I've tried don't make a difference. I am under the impression that it isn't so much that the mesh/masters can't take the typeface/angular lines in terms of resultion, it's more as how the printer reads the information on my PDF. For reference, the results are the same wether I am printing a file with both type and photographs, or a file with just type. I'll upload some other examples.
    Also attached some screenshots of my PDF export settings.
    Will have a look at the resolution of my printer and report back.

RRodgers
    Thanks, I do get my masters from an official Riso supplier, and they seem to be original in brand new condition. The same masters give great results with photographs.

d

FYI, the RP3105/3100 is the bottom on the RP line at 300x400dpi master making resolution.

flameelement

Hi acacias,

Can you post picture of the photo you printed. I have issue with image printing - it looks like printed on 100 dpi. What settings you set for photo printing.

Kind regards in advance!
    Plamen

Thumbs up Re: RP 3105 EP — Image quality issue with vectors and type

Quote Originally Posted by jermyth View Post
    FYI, the RP3105/3100 is the bottom on the RP line at 300x400dpi master making resolution.
    Hi — just an update to wrap up this thread.
    Jermyth — your comment was the key, the 300x400dpi resolution is to blame. I was aware this was the resolution of our printer but didn't think it sounded that bad. However as you said, this is the bottom of the RP line, and I had experience printing with machines that were at least double of that, thus my point of comparison were not in the same level. I've managed to make decent prints by using registration black and avoiding small type.

To answer your query Plamen, there are a few tips that can help achieve 'the best possible' results when printing photographs:
    — Export files at a minimum of 300dpi
    — Keep your black to registration black, except when you have a dark/heavy ink covered image, in this case use normal black
    — Try to avoid very light grays in your images if possible, the printer will have trouble rendering them as an even gray texture, you might get random shaped/uneven white spots instead.
    — Use the printer settings from your desktop to control the image quality, you can set the photos to be printed using a fine mesh or as a grain, or even make the dot/matrix of the master even smaller.

However do note there is only so much that can be done, considering the resolution of the printer. Some photos will work out better than others (high contrast images tend to give better results that the ones that have a lot of grays/tones). Attached a sample of a three colour riso print, with the 3105

Thanks everyone for your input

d
    Last edited by acacias; 10-06-2014 at 08:25 PM.