Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: vioce over internet protocol

Quote Originally Posted by colour_field_98 View Post
    You require a Cisco Modem. Turns digital signal to analog. Install it then make an adjustment on the Call Manager and it will be fine.
    This is true overall, but some Cisco modems don't work well at all with fax, at least with some Ricoh models.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

If you're a true geek (or extremely bored), Wireshark has some really cool telephony reading abilities.

It will allow you to not only see all the data exchanged, with the signals labeled, you can also play back audio of the transmission.

Using this method I was able to prove that a customer's fax gateway (attached to a RightFax server) was bad - turned out that a firmware update was needed.

There are some good instructions on how to do this on Wireshark's site.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    vioce over internet protocol

Quote Originally Posted by Klydon View Post

Bottom line for a service tech is do not let the VOIP provider put it on you in the customer's eyes that there is an issue with your machine as to why it won't fax on their line.......
    Had one or two arguments with the customers Voip suppliers, they don't seem to see the logic in the argument " Well, it was working fine until YOU changed things so the problem must be with your system"
    If they don't come to the party over that then you go on the attack "Yes, we can come out and adjust the fax settings, but are you or the customer going to pay our call out fee?"
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    vioce over internet protocol

We have VOIP business service at our office. At the time we ordered the service we informed that one of the lines was to be used as a FAX line for a MFP. We have no problems as the provider made sure that the line met Group 3 facsimile specifications.

Technician

Thank You all for your attention. I new this particular situation was gong to try me. This person who was providing the "VOIP" service had my customer convince that it was the machine with the problem. Not only that but, I told my customer that I have no business in her phone closet. I also told the provider that I was not jumping wires or punching down wires onto phone blocks. Thanks again.