Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

LJ M600 - Tray 2 not lifting - no motor running

I have an M601 where it says "Tray 2 Lifting" but the tray never lifts. The lift motor does not turn on. I replaced the lifting assembly, but nothing changes. I would assume the next component to replace is the DC Controller, but does anyone know of something I might be missing?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Re: LJ M600 - Tray 2 not lifting - no motor running

IHave you tried component test?

Component tests
    These tests activate the selected component.
    1. Press the Home button.
    2. Open the following menus:
    ● Administration
    ● Troubleshooting
    ● Diagnostic Tests
    3. Scroll to the Print/Stop Test item, and then press the OK button.
    4. Use the arrow buttons to select the particular component test that you want to perform, and then
    press the OK button.

TRAY PICKUP MOTOR This test activates the tray pickup motor. pretty sure this is tray lift

Then you should be able to verify without sensors being a factor. then Go with dc controller

60.00.0Y Tray <Y> lifting error
    Description
    A tray lift motor error has occurred.
    Recommended action
    Lifter driver assembly Tray 2 failure
    1. Use the Tray/Bin manual sensor test to verify that the Tray 2 paper (PS107 and PS907) surface
    sensors are properly functioning.
    2. If this part has been removed or replace, check the connector (J73 and J94) on the on the DC
    controller PCA.
    3. Check the media stack surface sensor level and place it in the correct position to move smoothly.
    Replace the sensor lever if it is damaged.
    4. Replace the media stack surface sensor.
    5. If the error persists, replace the lifter drive assembly (Tray 2).
    Izzy

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Is there an update to this call?
    Izzy

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I'm sorry.

It ended up being the DC controller.

Talking Re: LJ M600 - Tray 2 not lifting - no motor running

Here is another weird cause for this, I had an M602 with "Lifting Tray2" on display, would not code, no motor. If you put paper in Tray 1, and ran a Config page, it would say Printing from Tray 1, but never move. MY SOLUTION - Had the wrong toner in it!! An Aftermarket Q5421 for the 4350 was put in, it knew
    it had a cartridge, but would not read the chip! It could not because the chip is a diffrent size in a different place. Also I had been told a defective cartrdge could do the same. My NY tech has the same situation today, but says New Cartridge, new DC Controller, has not solveed it yet.Supplies for HP 43-45-M6.pdf

This fixed mine!!! It had a HP LaserJet 4100 (C8061X) toner cartridge in it. Put a new M602 cartridge in and it works great! Thanks for the tip!

Tracker

Lightbulb Re: LJ M600 - Tray 2 not lifting - no motor running

Quote Originally Posted by willschill View Post
    Here is another weird cause for this, I had an M602 with "Lifting Tray2" on display, would not code, no motor. If you put paper in Tray 1, and ran a Config page, it would say Printing from Tray 1, but never move. MY SOLUTION - Had the wrong toner in it!! An Aftermarket Q5421 for the 4350 was put in, it knew
    it had a cartridge, but would not read the chip! It could not because the chip is a diffrent size in a different place. Also I had been told a defective cartrdge could do the same. My NY tech has the same situation today, but says New Cartridge, new DC Controller, has not solveed it yet.Supplies for HP 43-45-M6.pdf
    I just had the same error at one of the stores I service. When I arrived the printer showed Lifting Tray 2, no other errors or issues. Checked tray, even swapped tray with another printer. It wouldn't print from tray 1 either. When powered down and restarted no tray lift or motor start. After doing some detective work and talking with Hp support found that someone had changed the Toner Cartridge (OEM) and they forgot to pull the Orange Shipping tab to ready the Toner Cartridge. This small step caused then to be down 3 days until I made it on-site. This model Laserjet 600 - 602M, Doesn't give any Toner Errors when the shipping tab hasn't been removed. Go figure.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I'm having this same problem today. I was fixing a noise problem and went to print and tray wouldn't lift, wouldn't print from tray 1, no error code, nothing. I finally realized I'd forgot to put the toner cartridge back in lol. But now I think there is still a problem, even without a cartridge in it, it shows full on the screen which is why I didn't realize I hadn't put the toner back in. When I first started working on it, I printed a toner status page, it was at 20%. I was curious so I put a cartridge from another printer in it and it read 60%. So, I put the original one back in and now it says 60%, not 20%. Seems it's not reading the toners properly. I googled this issue and found some threads under the tray lifting problem which sometimes turned out to be the cartridge tabs not removed or wrong toner, but nothing like mine where it's reading improperly or saying there's a toner in it when there isn't.
    Last edited by Tom; 12-24-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Well, a cold reset fixed some issues, a firmware update others, so I guess I'm good. Never in my life seen a printer say full toner installed when nothing was in it. Also weird that a toner not being installed keeps the tray from lifting. Hp--- go figure.