Service Manager 250+ Posts landspeeder's Avatar

Ricoh MP171 driver

Sold a used MP171 that was here in the shop. The buyer has a mac computer and cant get it to print. She called Ricoh support and they said you have to have the Postscript 3 card installed. It doesnt have one of coarse.
    Is there any way around this as I want her to keep the printer and not be threating to bring it back.....which she is...of coarse!!
    Thanks
    You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.... and
    if this was an easy thing to do then everybody would be doing it! But it isn't and they are not!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Ricoh MP171 driver

Macs use CUPS as their printing processor, which requires PostScript. There are other drivers that you can try, but you can't guarantee that there won't be issues, or that features won't be missing or unable to work.

One question you always need to ask before a sale is what kind of computer the person is thinking of using with the device. If the customer is using a Mac they should be used to overpaying anyway, so the cost of a PS card shouldn't be unreasonable. You should be able to find a card online. There are a couple of good sources for these, if you can't just get it straight from Ricoh still.

I got one for my office machine when I started using Linux laptops for supporting a few customers from here: Ricoh and Sharp Parts 50 to 80% Off Harvested Parts but it looks like the 171 is currently out of stock.

Service Manager 250+ Posts landspeeder's Avatar

Thanks for the info.....we didnt know that... have a great day!!

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Macs use CUPS as their printing processor, which requires PostScript. There are other drivers that you can try, but you can't guarantee that there won't be issues, or that features won't be missing or unable to work.

One question you always need to ask before a sale is what kind of computer the person is thinking of using with the device. If the customer is using a Mac they should be used to overpaying anyway, so the cost of a PS card shouldn't be unreasonable. You should be able to find a card online. There are a couple of good sources for these, if you can't just get it straight from Ricoh still.

I got one for my office machine when I started using Linux laptops for supporting a few customers from here: Ricoh and Sharp Parts 50 to 80% Off Harvested Parts but it looks like the 171 is currently out of stock.
    You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.... and
    if this was an easy thing to do then everybody would be doing it! But it isn't and they are not!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP171 driver

EBay. $50 +/-

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP171 driver

Assuming that the customer is current are far as their OS is concerned, they can set up a generic PCL driver on the MAC. It does not support color or finishers but then the 171 doesn't either. https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0