Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Risograph RA 4050 Error code E22

Hi Everyone

I have a Risograph RA 4050 that has sat in my back bedroom since I bought it from new quite some years ago. I think it has done 1.25 million copies :-)

I've gone to it today after not using it for well over nine months and after some initial struggling with other errors which I have cured myself I am getting an E22 error "Master was not fed properly"

I have opened the Master Loading Unit, wound up the master roll and fed the master below the green film. After closing the unit, I have removed the spare piece of master as is often the case but get the error again. When I open the Master Loading Unit I find that the master has been fed down the gap before the green film :-(

I have done this now about ten times and the same thing is happening all the time.

To be honest I don't even want to cut a master at the moment I just want to print some important work but cannot clear the error message.

Help PLEASE !!

Re: Risograph RA 4050 Error code E22

By the way, I am not a technician at all but have looked after this machine for the past five years or more since not needing the company I bought it off all those years ago.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

First things first, reset the machine by holding down the "Reset" key while turning the machine on, and continuing to hold the key down for a little while. Ten seconds should be long enough, but personally I found it easier to listen to the motors initializing during the machine's start up, and releasing the key when those sounds got quieter.
    If the error code goes away, make a new master, and then make at least 20 prints from it.
    If the error doesn't reoccur, you are good to go.
    If the error does reappear, let us know.

Thanks iowatch, I cleared the error message and as the master was already cut I run off that print job no problem.

I now have to cut another master but the master sheet is not running through the machine correctly. This happens:

I feed the master sheet beneath the green film and close all unit covers. The machine goes through its motions and cuts off the excess which brings up E24. I remove the excess and close covers. Machine then comes up with error E22 after doing some shunting about. On opening the covers I'm finding that the master sheet has slid down between the rollers. It's still beneath the green film but it has fed itself down the rollers.

I'll try to attach some photos now

copier 1.jpgcopier 2.jpg

Any ideas please?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
    But here's a couple of things to check -
    Check for master material strips stuck in the cutter area. If you take a piece of paper and fold it in half, and then push that through the master cutter area, that can push master strips in the cutter area into the drum cavity.
    Also, manually rotate the rollers illustrated in the second picture you shared with your hands to make sure those rollers don't rotate freely even a little bit. If they do turn freely, the setscrews in the drive pulleys for those rollers are loose and need to be tightened. That was kind of a common problem back in the day.
    For what it is worth, the second picture you shared shows the machine operating correctly. The machine does that to prevent the master material from becoming wrinkled when it is applied to the drum. A bit of useless technical trivia, that is known as the stocker area. At least that's the way I remember it anyway.

Thanks for that Iowatech

Unfortunately, I have done all this and things are no different. The rollers as you advised to try are nice and tight. There are no pieces of master in the scanner but this E22 error keeps coming up.

I have switched off and held the reset button when starting. The machine has no error then does some moving then up comes the error.

Is there anything else I can try?

Where does the master material stop? That's kind of important, as the E22 error code is shown when the master material doesn't get to where it is supposed to be in the time allotted, or the sensors that detect the master material's progress through the machine aren't doing their job.

Technician

Hi, sorry to bump an old topic, but this is the only thing clsoe to what seems to be happening to my RA5900. The master doesn't move at all despite all the the relevant test modes seemingly indicating that they're fine. After I try a master operation, it looks like the master doesn't make it into the master stock area like in OP's second picture. I gently inserted it in there a bit to see if it would help it does advance the master and cuts off the bit like usual, then when I remove the strip it tries to advance the master again but displays error 22. Previous poster suggested tightening a set screw for one of the rollers in the same picture, my loser catch roller (I think, the gold back roller in OP's second picture) is a tiny tiny bit loose, is that really enough to mess it up this bad? Any tips are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Take the front cover off (the one that goes around the main power switch). Above/behind the power supply unit you will see a couple belts and pulleys, if the allen screw that holds the pulley to the shaft has backed out the gold and black rollers won't spin and load the master.