Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sebastianflyte

False toner depleted message on Lanier SP5210 sf

Greetings all,

This thing tells us that it's out of toner and won't allow us to print until a new cartridge is put in. I think there is probably a lot left in it, judging by how many pages we've printed and the fact that the printing quality is fine. I've had this problem on a lot of other printers and there's usually a simple override and, not surprisingly, the printer hums along with the 'depleted' cartridge for hundreds or even a thousand more pages before the toner is truly gone. Does anyone know an override for this for this machine? Any help on this is sincerely appreciated. Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Cheers.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: False toner depleted message on Lanier SP5210 sf

If it merely show a toner low message but is still printing, wait until it stops printing.

sebastianflyte

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If it merely show a toner low message but is still printing, wait until it stops printing.
    Thanks for the reply. That's the problem, it's stopped and won't start again until it's got a new toner. All the old tricks, taking it out, shaking it, etc are all to no avail. Other printers I've used there were keys you could hold down to get it to accept the toner cartridge that's in it, but I can't figure out a way to do it on this machine. Feels like an aggressive attempt on the part of the manufacturer to get you to buy new cartridges when you don't need them yet...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I downloaded the service manual and detailed description manual to check on this. Toner near end is determined by the resistance to the agitator plate in the cartridge turning. when the resistance drops, a spring loaded shutter open and and sensor can see the reflective plate. Toner end is 1250 copies later. The model series uses a RFID chip on the cartridge that once the machine determines the end of toner it is stored on the RFID chip and will only be reset by replacing the cartridge.

sebastianflyte

Well, I really appreciate you going to that much effort to check on it. Seems to be no way around it. Blerg.

Again, thanks.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I downloaded the service manual and detailed description manual to check on this. Toner near end is determined by the resistance to the agitator plate in the cartridge turning. when the resistance drops, a spring loaded shutter open and and sensor can see the reflective plate. Toner end is 1250 copies later. The model series uses a RFID chip on the cartridge that once the machine determines the end of toner it is stored on the RFID chip and will only be reset by replacing the cartridge.
    i saw the manual and there seem to be alot of stuff about software settings for the toner sensor but i dont know how to set them

also what if we cover the small toner sensor with black tape and it cant see the reflective plate should it work?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

we have a few of this copiers. Have taken toner cartridges apart and they are out of toner. They are to go 30000 copies at a 5% PERCENT RATE. Most what i see is about 16000 copies of coarse i don't know what my customer are copying. I have done a refill kit and put in toner and replace toner chip. drill a hole on waste side and use a toner vacuum cleaner to remove waste toner out.Then plugged hole Tested and copies look good just need to test in field.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COPIERMAN View Post
    we have a few of this copiers. Have taken toner cartridges apart and they are out of toner. They are to go 30000 copies at a 5% PERCENT RATE. Most what i see is about 16000 copies of coarse i don't know what my customer are copying. I have done a refill kit and put in toner and replace toner chip. drill a hole on waste side and use a toner vacuum cleaner to remove waste toner out.Then plugged hole Tested and copies look good just need to test in field.

I have covered the toner sensor with tape, will update when the toner runs auto

Copier man can you scan and paste the place where to drill whole for waster toner?

i ordered some rest chips they are one the way and will use any of the sp4001 toner to refill the cartridge sp5200ah

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by konica7022 View Post
    I have covered the toner sensor with tape, will update when the toner runs auto

Copier man can you scan and paste the place where to drill whole for waster toner?

i ordered some rest chips they are one the way and will use any of the sp4001 toner to refill the cartridge sp5200ah
    I'm not sure why anyone would drill a hole to empty waste toner
    You have to remove one of side covers to replace the chip anyway, so remove the other side cover, and then the wiper blade assy (2 screws) and you can dump and vaccum the waste hopper properly.
    I've only been rebuilding these for a short time, but I always replace the drum, wiper blade, and chip. I've done a dozen or so. The print qualtiy has been very good, but it's true the yields have tended to be 18K at the most. Copierman is overstating saying they're rated for 30K, it's actually 25K, but they fall well short, yet there is always still a fair amount of toner left in the hopper, so I'll be interested to here the results of covering the toner sensor.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

normally would not drill hole but drum and blade are still good and did not want to damage them buy pulling them out. I am trying to figure out how to up load picture keeps saying bad file when i try uploading it. I drill a hole 1/2 " on waste side about in middle of waste box. then using vacuum cleaner. i take a 1/4 ' tubing stick one in vacuum nozzle and other in waste box move around till almost toner is gone. For here in united states if you have to buy drum /blade /toner and chip and labor to do this is cheaper to buy cartridge. If just toner and chip then cost is ok.