Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

"All" firmware and SD cards

Howdy,

Has anyone tried to use the "All" firmware package on an MP C4503 (normal operation panel), and had success?

I used an old trusty 1 GB SD card which has always worked OK (generic brand), but it fails with the C4503.

The screen sticks on "Please Wait", and it beeps a series of 5 beeps, 2 times.

I tried reformatting the card (Windows format) for Fat 16 and Fat 32, no love.

Tech support tells me that only the SD card listed in the parts manual (and possibly very few others) will work unless the Engine and System / Copy are current, or very close to it. Kinda self-defeating, iff'n you ask me.

I had an old 128 MB card that I flashed my demo C4503 (with Smart Panel), and it worked flawlessly... 13 minutes total. I can't use the same card for the normal panel machine, as the pkg file is about 140 MB, just a bit too big.

I am responsible for getting a fleet of these little gems updated, and I am trying to put together a battle plan for the field. I thought that the "All" package may be the answer, but it looks like it won't.

I have been pushing to get DMNX deployed, but that won't be for quite some time. @Remote isn't an option, as the machines are not allowed to be on the Internet to download the firmware.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Re: "All" firmware and SD cards

256Mb SD cards.

They seem to be the sweet spot between device compatibility and having enough free space on hand.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Howdy,

Has anyone tried to use the "All" firmware package on an MP C4503 (normal operation panel), and had success?

I used an old trusty 1 GB SD card which has always worked OK (generic brand), but it fails with the C4503.

The screen sticks on "Please Wait", and it beeps a series of 5 beeps, 2 times.

I tried reformatting the card (Windows format) for Fat 16 and Fat 32, no love.

Tech support tells me that only the SD card listed in the parts manual (and possibly very few others) will work unless the Engine and System / Copy are current, or very close to it. Kinda self-defeating, iff'n you ask me.

I had an old 128 MB card that I flashed my demo C4503 (with Smart Panel), and it worked flawlessly... 13 minutes total. I can't use the same card for the normal panel machine, as the pkg file is about 140 MB, just a bit too big.

I am responsible for getting a fleet of these little gems updated, and I am trying to put together a battle plan for the field. I thought that the "All" package may be the answer, but it looks like it won't.

I have been pushing to get DMNX deployed, but that won't be for quite some time. @Remote isn't an option, as the machines are not allowed to be on the Internet to download the firmware.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    KenB the package requires the system to be one of the newer versions for the package to work. also the package doesn't always include some of the accessories firmware. And I've found that the current package may not have the latest files in it, compared to the individual files................

P.S. I use cheap 1 gig cards bought on EBAY, they work just fine after formatting..................
    Last edited by Tonerbomb; 04-24-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

I always download the latest individual files as the package isn't always up-to-date or complete. I prefer to get a machine as current as possible, otherwise the effort is wasted. Note, and I'm sure you are already aware, the package update process is different from the usual method.

I have done a package update via @Remote which has worked well, though a progress indicator would be welcomed.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

When I go to rfg-esource to download firmware, I look at the creation date of the package and if it is 7 days or more after the last module firmware listed, it usually has the most recent. One of the files in the .zip for the package lists the versions of all the modules it contains. I have actually had a package contain newer updates than the individual modules. One thing though is that the package only contains mainframe updates. Peripherals must be updated separately. I have been told, but don't know for sure, that the package processes the list before starting and only updates those modules that need to be updated.

As for SD cards, I normally use a 512K card. I have used up to 4 GB cards on the newer models. Older models will only work with 1 GB or smaller. Not all manufacturers 1GB cards and some will not work. If you cannot find the size card you want, you can use a utility such as Minitool Partition Wizard to reduce the apparent size of a card. MiniTool Partition Wizard, the excellent magic for Windows.

When formatting an SD card do not use the Microsoft format function. The Panasonic format utility is recommended. I have also used the Toshiba utility that came with my work laptop and the Acer utility that came with my Windows 8 laptop at home. I have only had trouble on cards formatted with the Microsoft utility.

Thanks for all the replies.

Actually, the focus is to get the System / Copy, Scanner, and Engine current.

These are required for the latest Java versions to work.

The account has several hundred machines running Streamline, and Java needs to be updated before we can update to version 2.3.

I'm just trying to find the most efficient way to do this without a lot of errors, complaints, or wasted time.

I am not a fan of using Streamline ADM to update the firmware. IMHO, it's not exactly optimal for the task. (Translation: it kinda sucks at it.)
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

Actually, the focus is to get the System / Copy, Scanner, and Engine current.
    Å
    These are required for the latest Java versions to work.

The account has several hundred machines running Streamline, and Java needs to be updated before we can update to version 2.3.

I'm just trying to find the most efficient way to do this without a lot of errors, complaints, or wasted time.

I am not a fan of using Streamline ADM to update the firmware. IMHO, it's not exactly optimal for the task. (Translation: it kinda sucks at it.)
    This is exactly what @remote firmware update was intended for. Pushing firmware over night to multiple machines.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    This is exactly what @remote firmware update was intended for. Pushing firmware over night to multiple machines.
    Unless it's blocked, which it is. No MFP has Internet access, and proxy servers aren't allowed.

@Remote Enterprise Pro or DMNX would work, but the customer doesn't won't allow it on their network, at least not for a while yet. (Long story on that one...).

What a PITA.

BTW, we have a total of just under 850 machines to update. Ugg.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    Agree 100% with slimslob, the best formater-tool is from Panasonic, in Germany it´s a downlaodtool availible on the Ricoh-techsite.
    On the newer mfp´s it´s no problem to use a 2GB-card, but some machine´s don´t like the card i always use for fw-update, then i take one of my "spare-cards". Really don´t know why, but some machines are "Divas", therefore it´s the best to carry some sd-cards more in the pocket.
    On the METIS-range i allways play the package-fw on the machine and then the module for checking if there´s something older in the package-fw.(seldom, but it happens)
    Not integrated in the package-fw are the periphs & (really important) the power-saving-sys-fw. This method is a little bit time consumpting, but so i´m sure that the machine is on the newest fw.
    Greetings...

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

For SD cards, if the place you work for takes machines back in trade, and if any of those machines are going to be tossed into the hopper, see if you can harvest the SD cards from those machines to use for firmware updates.
    I have been using the same four SD cards that I got in that way for years, and they have always worked for me. It doesn't matter how old the SD cards are or what they were originally purposed for as far as I can tell. And they are free.