Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: Banding at HP T11xx

Just a thought--we haven't actually seen the "banding". Since it's doing it on 2 different machines, could this just be a moiré problem? Can you post a scan of the part that is banding?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Banding at HP T11xx

This is gist of the reply from HP:

It looks like ink starvation. Try roating the print 90 or 180 degrees, see if it does the same thing. If the media is set to Plain or Bright White, change it to Coated. If it's a PS model, try printing through the web interface.

If you can get me the actual file, my contact at HP offered to try printing it to see if they get the same results.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi,

1. It is not on the driver.

2. Previous firmware and current firmware - still same results.

I checked the machine base on the doubt that this may be due to ink starvation. I looked for a file that is the same or almost same amount of color as my test file is. There it is, banding happens a quarter part after starting the print. Rotate the file 90deg, same thing happen. Banding starts to happen not on the beginning but somewhere near the center.

I tried to print in A2 (before always in A1), same thing happens. I printed using black and white, banding happened in the center, then went OK again on the later part.

Printed landscape and portrait, same banding happens but different patterns. The weird part for me is, when i print the same file or orientation twice, the pattern of the banding is almost exactly the same.

KIRAN, where is this bongo pumps/filter you're talking about, how to check them?

And i am looking on a starvation on the gray ink?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Just a thought--we haven't actually seen the "banding". Since it's doing it on 2 different machines, could this just be a moiré problem? Can you post a scan of the part that is banding?
    i have attached a sample file in the beginning of the post

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Scans.jpg

The one on top is from our shop, the one below is from our client, both banding is happening, it means that both of them are having the same problem?

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vishop View Post
    Scans.jpg

The one on top is from our shop, the one below is from our client, both banding is happening, it means that both of them are having the same problem?

If you can print other prints on these machines that are fine, you do not have a machine problem. The issue is with the file, the firmware or the drivers. Unless someone can explain how a machine can mess up for one file, logic says it is the file.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Banding at HP T11xx

KIRAN, where is this bongo pumps/filter you're talking about, how to check them?

And i am looking on a starvation on the gray ink?
    iss.jpg

(They are lifters, not filters.) They are located in the ISS underneath the ink cartridges. They push upwards into that rubber bulb in the bottom of the ink cartridge and pump the ink from the cartridge into the tube assembly. If you remove all the ink cartridges and turn the printer on, during the initialization it will move these up and down once.

Have you physically checked each ink cartridge to make sure none are empty? Are you using genuine HP inks, and not refilled/refillable cartridges? This is extremely important.

Run the IDS diagnostic, it will also test the bongos, checking that they move up and down when expected, then you hold down each one and have it test the movement. Just follow the service manual.

Kiran

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I agree with fixthecopier. And as you have changed the firmware and drivers and nothing happened, I'd be suspicious of the file format. I'm a little more suspicious that the print defect happens on two machines when printing the exact same file. Especially as both machines apparently print everything else without that print defect.
    The fact that you could print the images with no problem on the 4000 makes me even a little more suspicious. While not always the case, machines with larger model numbers can sometimes be more advanced and can handle more file types than machines with smaller model numbers.
    If possible, could you let us know what kind of file is causing this print defect?
    If you have already shared that, I missed it like a dummy and I apologize.
    And now, for something completely different - have you tried unplugging the machine's power cord for a while? Sometimes fluctuations in the power supplied from the wall outlet can cause machines to behave really weirdly. This is kind of a long shot, but you might wish to consider trying that if there have been energetic storms or construction in the area.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi,

I checked the machine base on the doubt that this may be due to ink starvation. I looked for a file that is the same or almost same amount of color as my test file is. There it is, banding happens a quarter part after starting the print.
    Sorry for the confusion, as i have mentioned earlier, i no longer used my test file as reference for troubleshooting. As per Kiran's analysis of ink starvation, i looked for another file that is almost the same color quantity as my test file.

Test File = PDF format, full image, can be seen on my initial post.
    Second File = JPG format, full image, recent post

I may have troubleshoot the printer wrongly as i printed the internal demo page which is a map and is more on cyan and yellow. And the other file i have printed before was of different color concentration.

When i printed now another file with almost same color comparison, i also got the banding.

right now im concentrating repair on our machine as both are showing same symptoms, i think if i fix this one, i could also apply the same thing and fix the client's machine.

please bear with me. totally confused.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    iss.jpg

(They are lifters, not filters.) They are located in the ISS underneath the ink cartridges. They push upwards into that rubber bulb in the bottom of the ink cartridge and pump the ink from the cartridge into the tube assembly. If you remove all the ink cartridges and turn the printer on, during the initialization it will move these up and down once.

Have you physically checked each ink cartridge to make sure none are empty? Are you using genuine HP inks, and not refilled/refillable cartridges? This is extremely important.

Run the IDS diagnostic, it will also test the bongos, checking that they move up and down when expected, then you hold down each one and have it test the movement. Just follow the service manual.

Kiran
    None are empty, all are genuine HP inks fresh from the box, sealed coming from our US office. I'll have a check on that bongos...

thanks