Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: How is the weather?

Nothing like an ice storm to clean out the dead branches in the tops of trees.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    How is the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Nothing like an ice storm to clean out the dead branches in the tops of trees.
    Yeah watch out for those widow makers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Cincinnati acted like armageddon was coming--schools closing early, riots at the grocery store, it was madness. We didn't get a single flake.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

Raining and 52 degrees here>>>
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Yesterday saw the started of getting hot summer weather on this side of the globe.
    We had to move house for one of the boys. Moving house rates extremely high
    on my want to do list. Nooooooooot!. Oh joy, especially when the temperature is stinking hot.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    How is the weather?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    How is the weather?

I'm in north Jersey. Got about 20 inches. Big storm but we can handle it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

Weather people got it wrong. Was suuposed to be 4 to 6 inches we got well over a foot. Spent 4 hours shoveling at my house and helping my mom dig out. I have now become one with my recliner and football playoffs hope everyone stayed safe and is well.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I've never been Ice fishing.... How do you ice fish ?
    Well, I've only ice fished a few times, on a pond, and that was years ago, but from what I remember:
    I'd wait until the ice on the pond was at least six inches thick, even thicker ice was better. Then I'd go out to the middle of the pond and wail on the ice with an axe until there was a hole six to eight inches wide completely through the ice, and drop a fishing line through the hole with some good stinky bait.
    That was a good sized pond, it covered around two acres in area and was around fifteen feet deep near the center. As you might imagine, fish are not terribly energetic when it is that cold, so patience was mandatory then. And it really didn't matter what kind of fishing equipment I used as long as there was enough fishing line to let the baited hook sink to the bottom of the pond, because that's were the fish would hang out in the winter.
    I personally found that the ability to tell a good fish story was a useful skill for ice fishing too, as if I remember correctly more often then not I'd go home empty handed.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 01-25-2016 at 01:01 AM.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Well, I've only ice fished a few times, on a pond, and that was years ago, but from what I remember:
    I'd wait until the ice on the pond was at least six inches thick, even thicker ice was better. Then I'd go out to the middle of the pond and wail on the ice with an axe until there was a hole six to eight inches wide completely through the ice, and drop a fishing line through the hole with some good stinky bait. I think you'd need at least a good sized pond for that, the one I was at covered around two acres in area and was around fifteen feet deep near the center. As you might imagine, fish are not terribly energetic when it is that cold, so patience is mandatory. And it really didn't matter what kind of fishing equipment I used as long as there was enough fishing line to let the baited hook sink to the bottom of the pond, because that's were the fish would hang out in the winter.
    I personally found that the ability to tell a good fish story was a useful skill for ice fishing too, as if I remember correctly more often then not I'd go home empty handed.

I was picturing people ice fishing heading out in a kayak with rod,real,knapsack and paddle in hand. Float around on an Iceberg or something like that.

Kayak fishing is quiet popular here in our location. You see a few people using kayak's for sneaking up on fish in an around falling trees and snags in river.

Barramundi fishing is the main prize trophy fish in our part of the river. Barramundi can grow to around 1.5 meters in length. After Barramundi reach a size of around 95cm the fish turn into females. The Barra then swim upstream into the freshwater to breed. There is a mandatory catch an release policy in place if the fish are larger than 1meter.

I'm about 7-8km from two main boat ramps. Our local region has the largest boat owner per capita than any where else in Queensland. I believe we have 2nd best fishing area in Australia, only second to the Northern Territory in the Top end of Australia. Large quality fish numbers have slowly declined over the years though.

They've now stopped all the Pro-fisherman from netting the river systems,in an effort to boost the fishing tourist dollar in the region. With the nets gone from the river the recreational Angler's are hoping that fish stocks will regain in the coming years. At least everyone is confident that they will.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 01-25-2016 at 01:21 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••