Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Reduced support for Windows 7.

Howdy,

Just came across this a few days ago and figured I'd share.

I needed to put a test PC up with Windows 7. The PC I was using had no OS on it.

I found that you can no longer simply download a trial copy of it, as you could before. (Unfortunately, I do not have a TechNet subscription.)

After scrounging through my archives (better known as my disorganized heap of CDs and DVDs), I did come across a 90 trial of Win 7 Enterprise, and promptly installed it. Great! After installing, I ran all the updates.

I quickly found SP 1 (which my software required) did not get installed. Obviously, my trial disk did not have it included.

You can no longer download SP 1 from Micro$oft. It took at least an hour of surfing to find it on the net.

SP 1 is just under 600 MB. It took a good half hour to install, but it went.

It looks like that Microsoft is starting to cut back on Windows 7 support already. I would think that this was since the advent of Windows 10.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Reduced support for Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Howdy,

Just came across this a few days ago and figured I'd share.

I needed to put a test PC up with Windows 7. The PC I was using had no OS on it.

I found that you can no longer simply download a trial copy of it, as you could before. (Unfortunately, I do not have a TechNet subscription.)

After scrounging through my archives (better known as my disorganized heap of CDs and DVDs), I did come across a 90 trial of Win 7 Enterprise, and promptly installed it. Great! After installing, I ran all the updates.

I quickly found SP 1 (which my software required) did not get installed. Obviously, my trial disk did not have it included.

You can no longer download SP 1 from Micro$oft. It took at least an hour of surfing to find it on the net.

SP 1 is just under 600 MB. It took a good half hour to install, but it went.

It looks like that Microsoft is starting to cut back on Windows 7 support already. I would think that this was since the advent of Windows 10.
    I personally am not sure about Win7 being discontinued, however I found an online article to the contrary.
    Microsoft Windows 7 Operating Software Being Discontinued - Redorbit

Seriously though,like what happened to "Microsoft Windows 9"? Did Microsoft marketing department become worried that People would jump ship Macintosh-10 because "10" is the latest number in consumer software operating systems ? I've read about the number 9 being considered unlucky in with some cultures, and so one of the reasons Microsoft skipped over it. So is Microsoft Marketing dept superstitious ?.... Truth be known only to those, I guess.

Will Android marketing play O/S version catch up with consumer O/S versions currently at 6.0 ? It would be interesting to see if Android skips over version 9...

Re: Service packs.
    You can combine the operating system and service packs into one *.ISO DVD an install the operating system in one operation. Search on online for Combine service packs. Try the below Win-7 link as a starter.
    Slipstream Windows 7 + Service Pack 1 - Super User

I use to manually combine WIN-XP an all the service packs(1,2,3) onto one DVD an then install the entire operating system as one operation.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 02-13-2016 at 10:44 PM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Seriously though,like what happened to "Microsoft Windows 9"?
    Maybe they thought it would be offputting to people who speak German? (Windows Nein)

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Seriously though,like what happened to "Microsoft Windows 9"?
    It was called windows 8.1.................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

It was the same deal a few years back with XP.

While is was not yet officially "cut off", it was a real pain in the keester to find the service packs.

I had to use Win 7 this week, as the app I was testing (name withheld) is not supported on anything newer. It will be soon, but nor for a while yet.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Windows 7 SP1 is still available from Microsoft. It is a quirement in order to update to Windows 10. It might be that you were using the 90 day trial version that prevented Windows Update from installing SP1. You can download it from Microsoft Download Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) from Official Microsoft Download Center or from TechNet https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../gg635126.aspx

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Or, especially if it's just a test PC, you can go the good old pirate route.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Or, especially if it's just a test PC, you can go the good old pirate route.
    AYE, MATEY!!!

This Space For Rent 100+ Posts JimHegs's Avatar

Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/JimHegs

J
    Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Windows 7 SP1 is still available from Microsoft. It is a quirement in order to update to Windows 10. It might be that you were using the 90 day trial version that prevented Windows Update from installing SP1. You can download it from Microsoft Download Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) from Official Microsoft Download Center or from TechNet https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../gg635126.aspx
    You are correct. It is a 90 day eval. Win7 Enterprise, actually.