Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts hotfuser's Avatar

Re: C224e/C284e/C364e/C454e/C545e cyan dev unit problems

Quote Originally Posted by EarthKmTech View Post
    just checked my machine via csrc - 53,000 colour pages printed as of today on last cyan dev unit - I'm happy with that....

way better than the 6k pages i was struggling to get out of them before.
    how is the cyan dev unit holding out?

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hotfuser View Post
    how is the cyan dev unit holding out?
    Just logged on, 61169 pages on the cyan dev now - still no problems.

It is a high school so it will be pretty quiet for the rest of the year, serious printing will begin in the new year.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yianni View Post
    How are you sure it's not toner related? Because it's Konica-Minolta toner? There are counterfeits.

This problem occurs -for sure- at the developer units. The magnetic developer roller transfers except the toner the developer too. This is either bias voltages or toner.
    All technicians in this thread (total 120 posts in about a year) checked all possible cases. Except the toners. Why some technicians faced many such problems, but others none?
    I have seen this same problem for black in a Xerox DC250 copier.

I ask you just do the one minute test to see if the toner cartridge contains developer. May your case is different, almost all others have problem with cyan only.
    Pls see my previous statement. we are using C8000 toner without any problem, sometimes we add C8000 developer in toner bottle, but such cases are very rear. I am not suggesting to use C8000 toner for long run, but just to isolate the problem. Why we could not think of it could be manufacturing defect from KM plant. This we have observed such failure wrt xerox developer. Just try for few thousand prints to confirm, as it is cyan dev are failing so whats a big deal in trying.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    You guys that are having all the issues with the developer units.
    Are you absolutely sure that you haven't got a toner delivery issue? I have had two of these machines now that have had seized Cyan delivery augers. The symptom is C-2551 errors. State confirm indicates toner levels of 1 or 2%.
    It appears that toner pushes past the seals in the auger bearing & locks it solid. On one machine it was only the Cyan, but on the other it was Cyan & Magenta.
    If you remove the upper cover & the toner bottles you can observe the auger drive rods from the toner delivery motors. If the bearings are seized you will see the drive rods vibrate instead of rotating.
    I hope this post is of some assistance.

This is the the exact issue and solution we have had with 3 - 4 machines. (We had the TCR level error) The first thing to do it look at the TCR levels in Service Mode/State Confirmation/Level History1. If they all say zero, do a CMYK half toner at 255 and they will go to the correct read. If you remove the front cover behind the waste toner box with the drum labels on it you will see four white caps on the front of the sub-hopper assembly, these have the auger seals in them and they sometimes get filled with toner behind the seal, and the section just before the dev unit with the auger gets jammed so the motor cannot turn. This seems to happen around 60-80,000 pages for us. If you look at the white caps, you should not be able to see much toner behind it. If you do see a lot of colour it may have broken through the seal. I removed the cap and vacuumed out the toner from the auger, and then vacuumed the toner from underneath the hopper (the section that drops the toner into the dev unit.) and removed most of the toner from the hopper. If you pull out the sub-hopper assembly you can now see if the motor can turn freely behind it by turning the cog with your finger. (Open the bottom flap and hold it over a box so the toner can drop out the bottom of it.) Once you clear the toner and the motor turns, run a few halftones at 255 and make sure the TCR level increases. It should increase by around .5% with each A3 half tone page until it gets back to around 6.5 - 7%. If it doesn't increase by itself manually force toner into the hopper in Manual Toner Add under Image Process Adjustment and try the half tones again. Because the seal has been broken, the likelihood of this happening again is high, so this may be a temporary measure until you replace the seal/cap with a new one, or replace the entire sub-hopper assembly.

Sub-Hopper-Assembly.jpg
    (White caps on sub-hopper assembly)

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mo0651 View Post
    My reason for suggesting toner supply is we had a black dev. unit fail. (we thought). On this model there is carrier and toner in the toner bottle. It continuously replenishes the dev unit. It fills a toner hopper and then goes into the dev unit from the hopper. There are a couple of motors that run that process. We had one not working and causing the problem. Good luck.
    I think that the black is the only developer that gets replenished this way.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by AjitN View Post
    Pls see my previous statement. we are using C8000 toner without any problem, sometimes we add C8000 developer in toner bottle, but such cases are very rear. I am not suggesting to use C8000 toner for long run, but just to isolate the problem. Why we could not think of it could be manufacturing defect from KM plant. This we have observed such failure wrt xerox developer. Just try for few thousand prints to confirm, as it is cyan dev are failing so whats a big deal in trying.
    Here's my crucial question: Has anyone used a compatible DEVELOPER product in a C364 or the like? Are any of them any good? Replacing cyan developer assemblies is awfully costly. We use oem all the way but have obtained maybe a month's use before the developer is half gove again. We bought this unit used with only 100k but some idiot had vacuumed out all 4 developers before returning it to the leasing company. We obtained a set of developers from another relatively young machine and everything was fine until the cyan screwed up, and it has done so now for the 3rd time. We think an HVT board may need replacing but we also have to replace the developer when we do. Does that sound right?

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    C224e/C284e/C364e/C454e/C545e cyan dev unit problems

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wescott View Post
    I think that the black is the only developer that gets replenished this way.
    On the 4 and 4e series, all four dev units get replenished with developer in the toners.

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Our standard procedure is now to replace the drum, developer and toner with vacuumed hopper at the same time and the problem has still not repeated on any machines with this issue since doing this. I'm 100% convinced its defective toner or settled and separated developer / toner mix in bottle not being shaken enough / at all by customer before install.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    C224e/C284e/C364e/C454e/C545e cyan dev unit problems

Its either cheap toner or a bad drum. I know I had one where the black had been sucked dry, drum looked fine but to be sure I swapped M and K drums next day customer reported M grit on paper. I dont really understand how a drum can start sucking dev if it looks perfectly fine with no scratches or visible wear. Can anyone else explain this?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts hotfuser's Avatar

i have heard through a good source that this has been an issue for quite a while.

it seems to be a problem with the drum lifes.

while there is no issues with copy quality and how many copies it seems to be the amount of minutes the drums are doing ecspecially the black drum.

i have C224e go for a year to 18 months with out a problem or even a call and all of a sudden the cyan dev unit has been completely drained.

the drum minute life seems to be the problem as after replacing the drums i have had far fewer failures than i have had previously.

let me know your thoughts.