View Poll Results: Do you get a company vehicle?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES-and it's a nice vehicle

94 29.56%
  • YES-It's an ok vehicle

89 27.99%
  • YES-And it's a piece of s*&%

24 7.55%
  • NO

111 34.91%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Re: Do you have a company car?

Quote Originally Posted by Llama God View Post
    I've been informed that my new car will be a BMW 330e. The tax bill will be less than half what I'm paying for my Mercedes A Class. Hybrid is the way forward for the company car driver, until the government move the goalposts and shaft us all again.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but 2017 it goes tits up! As zero or low emissions get pretty much no tax to the economy it's all being redesigned again to recoup the lost revenue. If your car car is registered before then it's fine but after.... Then you're.....👎🏻

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but 2017 it goes tits up! As zero or low emissions get pretty much no tax to the economy it's all being redesigned again to recoup the lost revenue. If your car car is registered before then it's fine but after.... Then you're.....👎🏻
    It's coming in July so that's all good. They are fitting a full telemetric tracking thing to it, so there's no arse-out fun to be had in it!

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Llama God View Post
    It's coming in July so that's all good. They are fitting a full telemetric tracking thing to it, so there's no arse-out fun to be had in it!
    at this rate I think it's going to be a bicycle as the next transport given to us. I've seen the new tax law & its crap! Got a tracker on mine but no ones bothered with it. I've done a 100 the odd time for a short distance & averaged 80 & never been questioned. They have picked up someone doing a lot past the speed limit & reminded them but apart from that it's fine,more for tax purposes than anything. Oh and never get questioned on when I left my last call of the day!

Well having your own car can be fun like learning all about stretch drive belts and the installation thereof. Imagine getting miss Lopez in a skinny jean!
    Whatever

Yes. A company delivery truck and a company Nissan Sentra for service calls.

Yes, VW Passat estate replaced every 3/4 years with fuel card, 20/30k pa.

In the UK we have 3 classifications for company vehicles and some companies can screw you over on things by forcing one of the options on you.
    1) Company pool car - used by employees on a day to day basis travelling to and from the registered business address on company business only. Company pays for 100% of maintenance and fuel (whether that is petty cash, claim back with receipt, company credit/debit card or fuel card) It must remain on the company premises when outside of normal working hours, it cannot be taken home. (exception where it is in a garage for service or repair)

2) Company car - used by employees to go about their daily work, can be taken away from company premises and kept at employees home. Company pays £0.40 per mile for usage(Employee pays for fuel and claims back at the end of each month/quarter) Company pays for maintenance, upkeep, insurance and other running costs. It cannot be used for personal journeys ie trips to shops or at weekends.

3) Company car with personal use - given to employees to use however they want. Fuel claimed back at prevailing rate (£0.09 per mile at the moment changes every so often on Government review) Employee pays for all upkeep and maintenance, claims back from company at the prevailing rate around about 30% at the moment. Company pays for insurance.

Some companies force you to have it with personal use so they have less to payout, they make it a condition of the employment contract.
    They also buy the car outright and then after a few years sell it and they don't have to account for it in their records later, they sell it and the money usually goes into the directors pocket.
    A company i worked for once had the 3rd option as mandatory. I was paying out around £700 per month in fuel traveling from one side of the country to the other just on their behalf. I was only able to claim back around £360 per month. Total rip off and left me out of pocket. I still had my own car that i used at weekends and night time cause I hated the crappy plastic interior, 1.8 liter diesel engine no turbo and the ride turned your spine to dust saloon car and i was supposed to be happy (and grateful) to accept that and give up my 2.3 liter petrol turbo, leather interior and trim, heated seats estate car.
    Be careful what they tell you, they will try and make out that they are doing you a favor by giving you a new car.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts nekowaiidesu's Avatar

Don't have on specific vehicle assigned to me. We have a bunch of Opel Corsa bakkies (pickups / lorries) and a register to book them in and out.
    They are reliable vehicles but the company obviously tried to save as much as possible: No clocks. No CD player / radio. No aircon. Half of them don't have working fans (sucks in the heat - dangerous in the rain when the windshield is fogging up) there's even one bad-boy that doesn't have power-steering. Needless to say we all fight over the 2 with working fans and power-steering.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2o View Post
    In the UK we have 3 classifications for company vehicles and some companies can screw you over on things by forcing one of the options on you.
    1) Company pool car - used by employees on a day to day basis travelling to and from the registered business address on company business only. Company pays for 100% of maintenance and fuel (whether that is petty cash, claim back with receipt, company credit/debit card or fuel card) It must remain on the company premises when outside of normal working hours, it cannot be taken home. (exception where it is in a garage for service or repair)

2) Company car - used by employees to go about their daily work, can be taken away from company premises and kept at employees home. Company pays £0.40 per mile for usage(Employee pays for fuel and claims back at the end of each month/quarter) Company pays for maintenance, upkeep, insurance and other running costs. It cannot be used for personal journeys ie trips to shops or at weekends.

3) Company car with personal use - given to employees to use however they want. Fuel claimed back at prevailing rate (£0.09 per mile at the moment changes every so often on Government review) Employee pays for all upkeep and maintenance, claims back from company at the prevailing rate around about 30% at the moment. Company pays for insurance.

Some companies force you to have it with personal use so they have less to payout, they make it a condition of the employment contract.
    They also buy the car outright and then after a few years sell it and they don't have to account for it in their records later, they sell it and the money usually goes into the directors pocket.
    A company i worked for once had the 3rd option as mandatory. I was paying out around £700 per month in fuel traveling from one side of the country to the other just on their behalf. I was only able to claim back around £360 per month. Total rip off and left me out of pocket. I still had my own car that i used at weekends and night time cause I hated the crappy plastic interior, 1.8 liter diesel engine no turbo and the ride turned your spine to dust saloon car and i was supposed to be happy (and grateful) to accept that and give up my 2.3 liter petrol turbo, leather interior and trim, heated seats estate car.
    Be careful what they tell you, they will try and make out that they are doing you a favor by giving you a new car.

Boy that sucks, anyway you go. I couldn't do that to my employees if I had some. It's like this... if you own the equipment doing the work you own that part of the company, so where are your shares? Think truck drivers & large equipment operators like excavators operators or airplane pilots even. They rent out their services to companies as a contractor usually. You might as well just split off from your company and start your own business. You're already paying for it. Just call it (Your Name) which their is no need for business licensed in the US in most states, to do that.

I've got a company vehicle with fuel card. I take it in for maintenance on the company card and never have to worry about anything other than parking it on my property at night and washing it on company time. I use it to get to and from work and service calls. It's a 2014 Dodge Ram Promaster. Lots of room for hauling machines or carrying stock. A few things that have not really been all that great on it is that it gets rock chips easy and the first two years of having it , it had to go in for a bunch of warranty work. It has no windows in the back but a reverse camera and I'm able to listen to audio books, pandora, and whatever else using my phone (also paid for by my company), (via bluetooth, usb or phono plug) while I'm on the road to calls out of town. We get snow where I'm from and the promaster does okay since its front wheel drive but I've been stuck in the snow a few times ( I now carry a shovel).

Here in my home town just a few months ago, most of the pizza delivery drivers have got a company car with company logos. That's better than most of the guys I read about on here today.

I'm thankful after reading these posts.

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

I use my own car and get paid 55c a mile. That is fair in my opinion.

Unfortunately I drive a Fisher-price aka. Kia