Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Re: Sign of the times?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Typical IT twats, never bother to ask the end user what they actually want. I hate them more every day. Their latest trick to raise my ire, increase the security on my PC and now i can't erase or format copier HDD's. how do they expect me to do my job?
    same boat here.
    i feel for you brother.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    It may not be an issue. This 3 year old Toshiba that my IT giys make fun of, may live forever. The hinges are almost completely gone, having been repaired a year ago. The keyboard has a bow in it, different keys have popped off and been replaced, been dropped a couple of times and when I don't close it, it becomes an electric heated cat bed. I will keep using it until smoke rolls out or it blows up. I also have 2 old Dells at the shop I have been meaning to repair as back ups, maybe set up one as a Xerox computer.
    If there are any issues with that machine, make sure it isn't a battery issue. My old Dell Inspiron 8200 errored out back in the day and it turned out to be one of the two batteries went bad. I'd used that for quite a while at work, as with the dual battery option it never ran out of power even when using the CD drive a lot, which was essential then. I tried to fix it when it started having the errors even when it was connected to the port replicator, to the point that I eventually wiped the hard drive and installed the original copy of XP. Then I removed the batteries and the errors stopped. D'oh.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts doug94550's Avatar

I recently upgraded my old Asus to the latest and greatest Asus. It has no Cat5 port. It does have an Sd Card Slot, 2 USB-3 slots, 1 USB-C, and 1 HDMI port. It also has no cooling fan. It dissipates heat through the case.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Any Thumbs Up for Panasonic Toughbooks???

I don't have one, but wouldn't mind having one!

Every machine that I own which has a Windows distro on it is Windows 7!

The "social" aspect of Windows 8+ is not my cup of tea!...if the "social" aspect requires an operating system to be integrated into it, then leave me out! "Social", IMO, is platform agnostic and doesn't require somebody's "say so"--thanks Google+!

I have tended to not like the direction that Microsoft is going and have been looking into other operating systems, especially Ubuntu or Linux Lite OS. Fast, Slim & Secure!

PS--Dell with a dongle!....LOL!...almost sounds like an Apple to me!
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

Here is a sign of the times!

AMD Polaris graphics, 14nm finFET, 5+ teraflops of compute for less than 200$

I think that's 500,000,000,000,000 operations a sec.

I am living in the matrix right now.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Does your new laptop have a PCMCIA 2 slot? There might be a RJ45 adapter for that which you can use. I had to find a PCMCIA adapter for USB 2 to use with the old Inspron back in the day.
    In a way, that's better, too. If you need it, you just plug the adapter in. Otherwise, the RJ45 circuitry isn't wasting battery power.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Any Thumbs Up for Panasonic Toughbooks???

I don't have one, but wouldn't mind having one!

Every machine that I own which has a Windows distro on it is Windows 7!

The "social" aspect of Windows 8+ is not my cup of tea!...if the "social" aspect requires an operating system to be integrated into it, then leave me out! "Social", IMO, is platform agnostic and doesn't require somebody's "say so"--thanks Google+!

I have tended to not like the direction that Microsoft is going and have been looking into other operating systems, especially Ubuntu or Linux Lite OS. Fast, Slim & Secure!

PS--Dell with a dongle!....LOL!...almost sounds like an Apple to me!

I can get you an old military one. One of my IT guys would buy and refurb them. He has 1 or 2 left. They used to be 6 grand new, I think he wants $500.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Speaking of IT pushed security enhancements..Adobe is pissing me off, DC Reader won't allow you to download embedded .Zip, .Exe etc w/o a manual registry change. Guess what? Not permitted to make that change (even though I am an Admin on my laptop). Luckily, I have PDF pro that does allow this. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Oh, don't even get me started on the constant windows 10 update pop ups. I've had both my home and work laptop start "upgrading' despite clearly hitting "NO"! I managed both times to catch it. I hope windows suffers serious backlash for it, I even googled windows backlash and seen articles about potential class action lawsuits, only to have ANOTHER windows 10 update pop up.

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roho View Post
    Oh, don't even get me started on the constant windows 10 update pop ups. I've had both my home and work laptop start "upgrading' despite clearly hitting "NO"! I managed both times to catch it. I hope windows suffers serious backlash for it, I even googled windows backlash and seen articles about potential class action lawsuits, only to have ANOTHER windows 10 update pop up.
    I feel your pain. I got to work last week and my PC was updating to W10. They changed the prompt so that the X doesn't cancel the update. That was more than just annoying, I lost productivity and now some drivers don't work. What JERKS.