Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

B!tchy Technician!....LOL!

I got a fellow (older) technician at work....he was testing thermal bimetallic poppers on a ricoh-savin fuser.
    The poppers are in series...he took the metal link strip out between the poppers to test continuity of each popper...mind you, these poppers are in series--not parallel!....he got pissy when I told him you don't have to remove the link strip to test each popper if you are going to test point to point on each popper!...he said: I'm gonna do it this way, since I've been a technician 15+ years ago...yadda, yadda, etc.!

I just shut up and didn't say any more! I'm the new guy on the block and supposedly "inexperienced"....SHEESH!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

worker drone 250+ Posts

Re: B!tchy Technician!....LOL!

You are right but in his defense, you need to isolate the thermostats from the circuit or he would be measuring the resistance of the fusing lamp if one of the thermostats were open. By removing the junction strip, he did open the circuit I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    You are right but in his defense, you need to isolate the thermostats from the circuit or he would be measuring the resistance of the fusing lamp if one of the thermostats were open. By removing the junction strip, he did open the circuit I guess.
    This is a Savin/Ricoh machine....as soon as you remove the fuser from the machine, the circuit is "open"...PERIOD!!!...LOL!...easiest is to test point-to-point....the continuity is only being measured between the probes and when the circuit is a series circuit, it's easy to test!....if it was an LCR (Inductance-Resistance-Capacitance) circuit which also has series parallel components such as in a passive speaker crossover of a 2-way or 3-way speaker or a power supply, you would have to isolate each component to get a true reading!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    B!tchy Technician!....LOL!

You're lucky he only had 15 years experience. If you had tried that with some of the 30 to 40 year senior techs around here, they would ream you a whole new asshole. In all likely hood, he has worked on equipment in the past where you have to isolate each component to test, some you actually had to remove. It is better to always isolate than to run the risk of getting faulty results.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Actually the correct method would be to isolate one side of the themostat and then do the check. I always put the meter in diode mode and listen for the famous beep. It's either open or closed. As the poster said this is a relative simple check that it is not necessary to remove to test.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

There are guys the at the age of 55 still out running me!

The fuser would be out of the machine and the circuit would be broken anyway.
    Whatever

worker drone 250+ Posts

I'm one of those "55+" guys. Who would have thought you could make this many years getting kicked in the nuts? I was cleaning a toner spill the other day in a doctor's office and they asked me if I was worried about the toner being carcinogenic. I told them 40 years ago I worried about it but now I thought it would just be a "mercy kill".

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    I'm one of those "55+" guys. Who would have thought you could make this many years getting kicked in the nuts? I was cleaning a toner spill the other day in a doctor's office and they asked me if I was worried about the toner being carcinogenic. I told them 40 years ago I worried about it but now I thought it would just be a "mercy kill".
    ...might be to your benefit to find a "black lung" lawyer!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You're lucky he only had 15 years experience. If you had tried that with some of the 30 to 40 year senior techs around here, they would ream you a whole new asshole. In all likely hood, he has worked on equipment in the past where you have to isolate each component to test, some you actually had to remove. It is better to always isolate than to run the risk of getting faulty results.
    I understand that!...I took a class at a community college....the class was about machine control and "Ladder Logic" and programmable machine control!...now THAT could be confusing!!!...mind you, this was back in the 90's if I recall correctly, so the devices we worked with were more rudimentary!....we didn't have a computer connected system that checked the logic....we had to diagram and plan it all out!...DOH!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!