Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Re: Quality of our coworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    A couple of years ago (he, he) I went to the main office to pick up a Mita DC-111 (without the C) for a new placement. When I arrived, I was pointed towards three boxes. "It's all there."

And it was all there ... a day later. The drum was a tad light-shocked, but I only had to provide a handful of screws, and entirely re-assemble the machine from the frame up. I was totally surprised that it actually worked. It's hard to imagine that you can get so many parts into a small tabletop copier. =^..^=

Must admit i it I do feel good after I've butchered a machine to its shell & it still works after putting it back together😂 More often I'm crying because it won't work after I've touched it🤔

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    Must admit i it I do feel good after I've butchered a machine to its shell & it still works after putting it back together😂 More often I'm crying because it won't work after I've touched it🤔
    Only a tech gets truly excited when a machine boots up after a hard repair. I had an HP T510 today that booted to a paper jam. I found this unusual because my knowledge of plotters is that the one paper detect sensor jut tells the machine if paper is there or not. I never had a plotter say paper jam. They had called HP first and got quoted $1000 to get someone to show up. I looked and could not see anything in the machine. I decided to start taking it apart. But first I decided to do something I would do to a laser printer with the same symptom. I took a sheet of paper and managed to force a corner through far enough to grab it with some stats. I pulled it through and at about half way I saw it. A small square piece of paper with two small pieces stapled to it, like a tag or marker. I assume the piece was thick enough to jam the platen roller and cause the encoder wheel to show a fault for not moving. Not only did it make my day but I also seem to have a new loyal customer after charging them $80.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Well CTN suppose to have all the answers, so why the analyzing. There are tons of walking manuals here, so just send a one line post, someone will respond in record time. CTN is great, but the basics in how the machine works must be understood for a tech to achieve a measure of independent analysis.
    The main problem with that is the lack of troubleshooting means wrong and unusable tech info is shared along with the correct.
    A secondary problem is that without troubleshooting we may be overlooking new problems that none of us have heard of before.
    I've railed about this before on CTN, so I'll just shut up now.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Quality of our coworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    The main problem with that is the lack of troubleshooting means wrong and unusable tech info is shared along with the correct.
    A secondary problem is that without troubleshooting we may be overlooking new problems that none of us have heard of before.
    And with end users that don't know the basics of photocopying trying to fix things; that is what keeps techs employed (or retired).
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    True, how many posts have said jamming & the replies are jam code? Log? What have you done so far? Its like the Spanish Inquisition at times to get some simple answers.

one that stands out for me was a post on a firmware request. Machine doing a soft reboot & wanted firmware? First question I asked was what was the log showing? 🤔

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    And with end users that don't know the basics of photocopying trying to fix things; that is what keeps techs employed (or retired).

I was on a Ricoh with an 899 code. When I ask operators to clear their Que, you would have thought I ask them to invent time travel.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

[language warning, for all those with sensitive sensibilities, or corporate espionage over the shoulder]

Yesterday I got excited because a bizhub 501 came back to life after I replaced the OACB (some shiny happy person decided to bang a door into the network cable, broke the port, and network connectivity was at best one out of six pings returned), swapped the memory cards, swapped the NVRAM, and the little black chip that loves to stab me under the fingernail, I think it's an eeprom, reseated all connectors, fired it up and did the ISW, reconfigured the network settings and it worked. I became happy because that son of a bitch machine worked after I replaced its brain.

I try not to post replies to threads when I do not understand the problem mentioned. I figure that's like giving bad directions, you just don't do that shit (to quote my uncle). I was looking up the xerox 003-318 error code for the "need help" post, I couldn't find anything because I don't know xerox machines, don't have access to service manuals for them. So I didn't reply. Easy thing to do would be "Hello, I.T. Have you tried turning it off and on again?" but what would be helpful about that?

I thoroughly appreciate all the help I've gotten here, and I try to help others when I can.
    Now I have to replace a CCDB on a bizhub 364e because that's what SSD said might fix the fax image rotation. It's not the ADF.
    So there's my afternoon.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post

I try not to post replies to threads when I do not understand the problem mentioned. I figure that's like giving bad directions, you just don't do that shit (to quote my uncle). I was looking up the xerox 003-318 error code for the "need help" post, I couldn't find anything because I don't know xerox machines, don't have access to service manuals for them. So I didn't reply. Easy thing to do would be "Hello, I.T. Have you tried turning it off and on again?" but what would be helpful about that?
    I don't mind that kind of advice. Most of the time I ask a question, it's because I've run out of things to look into. So even bad advice might get the gears in my head turning and I'll think of something else to check.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I don't mind that kind of advice. Most of the time I ask a question, it's because I've run out of things to look into. So even bad advice might get the gears in my head turning and I'll think of something else to check.
    It's quite surprisng at how and off the cuff suggestion from one person can lead to a lightbulb moment in another. That same lightbulb moment can lead the thought process and problem-solving skills off to a solution.

Teach the guy to fish and....

I must admit, I'm guilty with a tad of apathy at times. I'd rather post/talk to someone preferrably than plod alone in the brain-fog of the problem. It's good to soldier on but it can make you battle weiry with "carer's fatigue", especially if the time-line is a factor.

The joys of being a solo indepandant Tech has it's ups and downs...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    It's quite surprisng at how and off the cuff suggestion from one person can lead to a lightbulb moment in another. That same lightbulb moment can lead the thought process and problem-solving skills off to a solution.

Teach the guy to fish and....

I must admit, I'm guilty with a tad of apathy at times. I'd rather post/talk to someone preferrably than plod alone in the brain-fog of the problem. It's good to soldier on but it can make you battle weiry with "carer's fatigue", especially if the time-line is a factor.

The joys of being a solo indepandant Tech has it's ups and downs...

With you on that. The second pair of eyes sometimes untangles what you have thought have been through already or even the youths that has the eagle eyes you once had. The internet has changed approaches radically and is my go to first besides the machine manuals. I use to be very sharp and so called proud when i dropped pins ect. and find them easily, now it takes longer.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke