Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Re: Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

Quote Originally Posted by atwageman View Post
    I didn't see it, but customer caught the tech jerking his meat in the supply closet.
    Sorry, just not like in the "Movies" after you fix the machine the hot secretary wants to "properly thank" you for getting her "up and running". She might even help you "turn" the screw driver a couple times.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Dumbest thing u have seen a tech do!

We rebuild off lease machines and in doing so, we remove all the covers and wash and scrub them if necessary for the best like new look we can get. Well one of our newbies heard how great fedron is at cleaning metal parts and rubber rollers that he thought it would make his job easier to use fedron on the plastic covers instead of scrubbing them as instructed. If you have ever used fedron, you can imagine what happened. Melted plastic textured areas and black toner and dirt is now melted into the plastic. Had to order new covers, that were destroyed. If he had noticed the problem with the first one he used it on and quit, it would have been ok, but he had to keep experimenting with 7 or 8 different covers. He ruined every one. He was fired. He was also high on cocaine, we came to find out later.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Why is this thread dead?

I'll CPR it with one of those moments that happened to me today - one of those where your brain is definitely offline.

Clearing the laser shield glass of a machine (C901) - removed the screw holding the plate in its place, then placed the screwdriver and the plate on top of the machine. So.

Removed the glass, cleaned it thoroughly and placed it back on the machine. Grabbed the screwdriver and the plate, placed the plate in its place and then - where the fudge is the screw?

Looked around on the top of the copier - nothing. Maybe it fell on the ground. On my knees, ear glued to the ground looking around to see if the screw is anywhere to be seen - no such luck.

Fuck! Maybe it fell on the drum stay! Look around on the drum, cleaning unit, developing unit - nothing!

Well, screw that! (Pun intended!) I'll just grab another screw and finish with this.

Went to my jar'o'screws, picked a suitable replacement. Grabbed the screwdriver - lo and behold, the original screw was there, on the tip of the screwdriver, mocking me. I swear I could hear its squeaky little laugh.

So this is how it feels when you reach 40...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Why is this thread dead?

I'll CPR it with one of those moments that happened to me today - one of those where your brain is definitely offline.

Clearing the laser shield glass of a machine (C901) - removed the screw holding the plate in its place, then placed the screwdriver and the plate on top of the machine. So.

Removed the glass, cleaned it thoroughly and placed it back on the machine. Grabbed the screwdriver and the plate, placed the plate in its place and then - where the fudge is the screw?

Looked around on the top of the copier - nothing. Maybe it fell on the ground. On my knees, ear glued to the ground looking around to see if the screw is anywhere to be seen - no such luck.

Fuck! Maybe it fell on the drum stay! Look around on the drum, cleaning unit, developing unit - nothing!

Well, screw that! (Pun intended!) I'll just grab another screw and finish with this.

Went to my jar'o'screws, picked a suitable replacement. Grabbed the screwdriver - lo and behold, the original screw was there, on the tip of the screwdriver, mocking me. I swear I could hear its squeaky little laugh.

I may have done something like this before. May. I will admit nothing.

A tech who worked here previously had issues with properly tightening screws down. One day I go to a call for poor copy quality. Notice there is a good 1/8in wide gouge on the drum right down to the metal. Pull the drum apart and one of the screws holding down the drum cleaning blade falls out.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Well I don't know if this was mean or the trainee was just daft, but our trainee was refurbishing a C224 and he had changed the drums etc and asked me what do I do with the waste box ? I told him to clean it out and the best way was by using the compressor in the warehouse.
    Off he went and started blasting the waste box with the airline and we were falling about laughing at him.
    Needless to say he was black from head to toe LOL

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Wait until you're over 65........

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Helpdesk View Post
    Well I don't know if this was mean or the trainee was just daft, but our trainee was refurbishing a C224 and he had changed the drums etc and asked me what do I do with the waste box ? I told him to clean it out and the best way was by using the compressor in the warehouse.
    Off he went and started blasting the waste box with the airline and we were falling about laughing at him.
    Needless to say he was black from head to toe LOL
    Dude, that was pure mean on your part and well the trainee has to learn to think on his own

Remember waiting in line in the drive thru to buy our famous Tim Horton's coffee. My eyes suddenly starting to wander on my dash and i saw my cigarette lighter and then thought to myslef i have not used this thing maybe never, does is work. so i press it in and did not see is pop up or maybe did not wati ling enough, but i pulled it out and did not see the tip red. So i decided to put my finger to do the test,only for a mili second, which in the back of my mind i know i should not do, but never the less got what is called a fish eye. the impression of the roundness of the lighter on my finger tip and a slow burning sensation for a few days. It did not show up right away, i think the next day. Well as the saying goes, " curiosity killed the cat ".
    I am pretty sure i am not the only one done this. be real guys and admit it. It was my first time and it was dumb. I smoked for a long time and this never happened, now i don't and it did. sucks.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Dude, that was pure mean on your part and well the trainee has to learn to think on his own

Remember waiting in line in the drive thru to buy our famous Tim Horton's coffee. My eyes suddenly starting to wander on my dash and i saw my cigarette lighter and then thought to myslef i have not used this thing maybe never, does is work. so i press it in and did not see is pop up or maybe did not wati ling enough, but i pulled it out and did not see the tip red. So i decided to put my finger to do the test,only for a mili second, which in the back of my mind i know i should not do, but never the less got what is called a fish eye. the impression of the roundness of the lighter on my finger tip and a slow burning sensation for a few days. It did not show up right away, i think the next day. Well as the saying goes, " curiosity killed the cat ".
    I am pretty sure i am not the only one done this. be real guys and admit it. It was my first time and it was dumb. I smoked for a long time and this never happened, now i don't and it did. sucks.
    I once did check the sharpness of a knife by running my thumb against it. Does that count?

PS: It *was* sharp!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!