ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: The random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by nottoosharp View Post
    Do you mean an executive order? And everything the president does can be vetoed so study some freaking law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The president has the power of veto over bills. The congress can override the veto.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    The president has the power of veto over bills. The congress can override the veto.
    In other words : The president has the power to levitate off the ground by pulling on his boot straps, and Congress has the power to snip off his boot straps....

The separation of powers is foremost the most important factor in a healthy democratic society. It is a very real "paper , rock , scissors" power structure.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 10-08-2016 at 01:26 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

How to purchase a flashlight

Any more, the light from a smart phone screen works pretty well for a general purpose flashlight for navigation around the home. At least it does here anyway.
    Now I'm curious. Theoretically I've got an old Army crook neck flashlight around here somewhere, I need to pull that out and see if it still works. It was the handiest thing back in the day.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    The random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by nottoosharp View Post
    Do you mean an executive order? And everything the president does can be vetoed so study some freaking law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You have that wrong. Anything that Congress passes can be vetoed by the President. Both houses of Congress can override a veto by a 2/3 vote in each house. To override an Executive Order, Congress would have to pass a Bill stating that. The President can then veto it.

When originally used, the Executive Order was intended to provide guidance from the President to the appropriate bureaucracies as to how the President felt an existing or newly signed law should be carried out by the remainder of the Executive Branch, not to create an equivalent to a law where no law currently exists.

In my opinion, all Executive Orders should become null and void with the swearing in of a new President.

I guess I will never grow up. When I watch these weather reports on the hurricane and they say we are going to get 6 to 10 inches, I hear Beavis and Butthead going "That's what she said"
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    The random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtrooper View Post
    Here's the thing. Just about EVERYONE hates it when they think someone is "getting away with" something they think is wrong or should be illegal. Taxes, gun control, loud music, saggy pants, welfare.

Doesn't matter if it's a sensible gripe or not it pisses them off. Now I'm willing to wager than a higher percentage of Democrats/Progressive run more on feels than reals, not to say there aren't people on the opposite side of the spectrum that are the same either.

When someone FEELS really strongly that what you are doing is JUST WRONG, they tend to get pretty wrapped around the axle about it.
    Political leanings should have nothing to do with being angry about millionaires or multi-bankrupt billionaires not paying their way while all the burden to fill the govt coffers falls upon the ones making the least.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Slackers rejoice! Instead of putting up with tediously standing in line you should be able to sit in a fully automated chair soon!

So as the hurricane got close, nobody really cared. After all it was only a cat 1, and was going out to sea. Well, we got our asses kicked. After the 12 inches we got the previous week, the 14 this storm dumped was more than the ground could handle. My area became an island with all the bridges washed out. I went out the next morning to check on my mother and spent an hour trying to get to a point that usually takes 10 min. Most of the bridges are fucked. Major detours for months. Can't get coffee or drinks anywhere as water is unsafe. I only spent 3 days without power, some will not have any for many more days. No cable or net at the house. Time to go. See ya.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    So as the hurricane got close, nobody really cared. After all it was only a cat 1, and was going out to sea. Well, we got our asses kicked. After the 12 inches we got the previous week, the 14 this storm dumped was more than the ground could handle. My area became an island with all the bridges washed out. I went out the next morning to check on my mother and spent an hour trying to get to a point that usually takes 10 min. Most of the bridges are fucked. Major detours for months. Can't get coffee or drinks anywhere as water is unsafe. I only spent 3 days without power, some will not have any for many more days. No cable or net at the house. Time to go. See ya.

No good to here...

We get our more than fair share of excess flood water periodically every couple of years.
    We have a very large land mass catchment area that directs the water flow down through our city and then out to sea.

If it rains in the upper catchment for any length of time we get the flood water arriving here. The water carries with it all sorts of rotting plant and animal matter, which makes the place a bit on the nose for a while. After the last cyclone went through we had a bad case of hepatitis and e-coli out break through out the drinking water system.

Hope all is well your end.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Whenever this job gets me feeling sad I just remember the Welsh word for microwave is "popty ping".

That helps.

I'm never calling it a microwave again.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!