Risograph Gr1750 drum (very) stuck

We have a risograph GR1750 with a stuck drum (error E01). We accidently inserted a drum with a piece of master sticking to it. I understand that was wrong.

Now we read that when you have this you have to remove the eject tray on the right side of the machine and turn the drum with your hand clockwise untill it unlocks
    IMG_20161212_173929405.jpg

That didn't work, there is now way to rotate the drum (only thing I get is dirty fingers).
    Then I read that from the back there is a latch you should press which may also release the drum
    IMG_20161212_172834591.jpg
    (center bottom, with the hook). But we tried also to no avail. I think the hook should caputure the plate next to it, but can not get it there.

Now I could try to dismantle the machine further but I'm afraid with all these springs and adjustments, I will never get it back working again.

Does anyone have a good idea how to proceed.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Re: Risograph Gr1750 drum (very) stuck

From the 2nd pic your hook is disengaged so the impression roller is NOT in contact with the drum, which is good. You need to remove the EXIT belt section so you can get your hands in there and rotate the drum. You could also have someone on the backside of the machine turn the drive belt. Just make sure you are working together. You will get dirty hands and it's not easy but once the clamp plate is unstuck from the sep finger it should spin a little easier.

thanks
    I have the idea I tried to rotate that belt but it didn't move. I may have been too carefull
    which one is the drive belt exactly

We are two, but what does the other person need to do...check if the light goes on so the drum can be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by reinierv View Post
    thanks
    I have the idea I tried to rotate that belt but it didn't move. I may have been too carefull
    which one is the drive belt exactly

We are two, but what does the other person need to do...check if the light goes on so the drum can be removed?

You machine is off timing, the gold disc on the picture should be aligned with the sensor right in the middle.
    If you see a push switch under the IC in the board in the pic, push it and you can center it with the sensor open the front door I it will release the drum

Quote Originally Posted by LA TECH View Post
    You machine is off timing, the gold disc on the picture should be aligned with the sensor right in the middle.
    If you see a push switch under the IC in the board in the pic, push it and you can center it with the sensor open the front door I it will release the drum
    Which IC are you talking about? There are several. You mean the IC with the label on it? I think I see a push switch there..

I push and then rotate allign the gold disc until the drum light in the fron goes on?

image3.jpg

It is really really stuck. I did pres sthe button, I only got some hicks from the machine...attempting to turn the drum using the main belt, even with some forse, didn't work.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reinierv View Post
    It is really really stuck. I did pres sthe button, I only got some hicks from the machine...attempting to turn the drum using the main belt, even with some forse, didn't work.
    Well, it sounds like the drum clamp may be caught in the master disposal hooks, and the only thing to do for that is rotate the drum by hand.
    You might want to get some good heavy gloves for this as the ink you will encounter might make it look like you have "hobo hands", and there are some kind of sharp edges there too.
    After you open the scanner of the machine (like you would when installing a new master roll) you or someone else will have to reach in and pull the drum towards you until you can see the master clamp plate. Then flip the clamp plate towards you, and you should be able to press the green button inside the front cover to get the drum out of the machine. Then make sure the clamp plate isn't bowed or bent (there's only a millimeter or two between the clamp plate and the master removal hooks during normal operation).
    Once that is done, you'll have to retime the machine, but the instructions for that are already here in the duplicator forum.
    Good luck!