Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Re: So How Has Your Day Gone...?!

I'm on call next week. I am told by several people (who would know the answer to my question) that we do NOT work on Christmas day. Not even in an emergency, where fixing a printer jam is the only thing that will prevent the device from detonating and save the city, no... not on Christmas. We leave that shit for John McClane, or Chuck Norris, or MacGyver, or some sort of Super-man. Or "double-O sheven".
    So even if I get an after-hours call on 25 December, I am not to go. Difficult thing to convince a soldier to do, not go when called.

But SO HELP ME, if I get an after-hours call on Christmas Eve, I will be wearing a festive hat to that call, no matter where it is. Professionalism goes out the window if you take me away from my family on Christmas Eve. And I shall jingle all the bloody way, for my hat shall bear at least one bell.

Wednesdine.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    So How Has Your Day Gone...?!

Typically this time of year slows down. Were we not 3 techs down that might be the case. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Today is the greatest day. Will only work half day and tomorrow is a public holiday.
    Monday i can be awakened by the first call if any for i am on standby.

Come January i will be missing and hopefully missed for the entire month.
    Its getting festive!!!

If they try me on Christmas day i will be off sick...
    Whatever

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

You know it's slow when you finally get a call and thank the customer for breaking the machine.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    So How Has Your Day Gone...?!

In the 20 years that I spent as a field tech the number of times I ran out of jobs you could count on one hand. Usually there was two or three jobs waiting for me. These days we are always telling the techs to go and have a cup of coffee and we'll call you when something turns up.
    The machines are getting better and the copy count per month is slowly dropping, how much longer have we got before we're all thrown on the scrap heap?
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    In the 20 years that I spent as a field tech the number of times I ran out of jobs you could count on one hand. Usually there was two or three jobs waiting for me. These days we are always telling the techs to go and have a cup of coffee and we'll call you when something turns up.
    The machines are getting better and the copy count per month is slowly dropping, how much longer have we got before we're all thrown on the scrap heap?

If people were smarter than they are, most of us would be out of work. I am counting on the technological ignorance of people to keep me employed for another 15 or more years.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Yes things are slowing down...

The currently low circulating dollar is allowing professional labour to be outsourced to a cheaper foreign work force. As will always happen : the dollar talks, the cheapest rate wins the contract or the cheapest contractor.

Foreign work forces(take it as good or bad) can stifle a local economy in many ways.

Foreign workers are willing to work for a cheaper rate, which is good for the boss but bad for the local economy as a whole. Money removed from local circulation will stifle the local industry firstly.

An example of a foreign work force crippling the industry happened to the Australian Wool Shearer industry around the 1980's here in Australia. At that time the standard rate to shear a sheep for a born and bred Australian shearer was around $1.00 per sheep. Foreign workers from New Zealand came into the Australian Shearing industry to shear sheep at a much cheaper rate. The foreign work force of New Zealand shearers could shear the Australian sheep at half the rate of the local work force, which was around 50cents per sheep. The scab labour rate as it was known in the industry, nearly reach crises point with extreme violence between the local and foreign workers.

How the foreign cheap(scab) labour problem worked:

At the time the exchange rate between New Zealand and Australia was a low 50 cents(NZ) to $1(AUD). When New Zealand workers came over to Australia to shear sheep the money in their pockets halved in value. $1(NZ) bought 50cents(AUD). But when the NZ shearers transferred their Australian wages back to New Zealand their money doubled in value. The "magic" of the exchange rate allowed New Zealand shearers to work for half the wages of any other local shearer, which allowed NZ workers to dominate the Shearing industry and draw money out of the Australian economy; further crippling the working Australian shearer labour force. The money from the local Australia shearers was never spent in their own local communities, and hardship was being felt further by local business. It had a flow on effect you might say.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••