Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Risograph FR3910 master crumpling while burning image

Machine stopped burning images on master. I located the issue to be happening during the master feed. The master starts feeding weird and during the burning the master starts crumpling and getting jumbled up. Once it' makes it to the drum the master is applied fine but with either no image or only on the edges.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Risograph FR3910 master crumpling while burning image

Open the right front cover and check that the pulley on the master loading motor is not loose. The pulley gear has hex drew that losens with time. Check belt tension as well. I would also check the belt tension of the master cutting motor. Assumed you're using genuine master.

Technician

Checked both and the tension seemed fine. Here is a video of what's going on.
    https://youtu.be/P2YRi_Lzkd4

Technician

Here is a picture of the test pattern with the master crumpling
    .IMG_5260.jpg

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Have seen the video, I had a similar challenge multiple times. Your problem is uneven rotation of the write roller and associated rollers. Open machine rear to access the cutter motor, adjust the belt tension by loosening the screws. Belt shouldn't be too tight or loose, keep testing...making master with each adjustment. It's tricky, consumes master and requires patience, but eventually it yields.

Technician

Each time I make an adjustment the drum gets stuck and the machine gets out of time. After I remove the drum and put it back in time and make the adjustment it just get stuck and out of time again.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

i think the front pulley set screw is loose as well. sometimes its hard to detect because it may get in a place it doesnt seem loose

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Sounds like the master clamp plate on the drum is operating incorrectly and is causing the drum to bind somewhere in its rotation. Put some light oil on the clamp plate bushing that's next to its drive gear and make sure the clamp plate will travel from open to closed position without stalling at any point. Make sure the clamp plate lays flat when it is entirely open, too.
    The next time you have the drum completely out of the machine you might want to see if the master removal hooks are in good shape. They are on the upper left hand side of the drum cavity, next to the lower vertical transport rollers.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Sounds like the master clamp plate on the drum is operating incorrectly and is causing the drum to bind somewhere in its rotation. Put some light oil on the clamp plate bushing that's next to its drive gear and make sure the clamp plate will travel from open to closed position without stalling at any point. Make sure the clamp plate lays flat when it is entirely open, too.
    The next time you have the drum completely out of the machine you might want to see if the master removal hooks are in good shape. They are on the upper left hand side of the drum cavity, next to the lower vertical transport rollers.
    The drum works properly in another machine so I'll assume theres something wrong with the master removal hooks. Would the machine still make a master if I remove the hooks and just take off the masters manually until I get replacement hooks?

Thanks !

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by austinlonz View Post
    The drum works properly in another machine so I'll assume theres something wrong with the master removal hooks. Would the machine still make a master if I remove the hooks and just take off the masters manually until I get replacement hooks?

Thanks !
    The machine will make masters fine without the master removal hooks. Before you replace the hooks though, make sure they are operating correctly. There's a solenoid in the front left hand side of the drum cavity that moves the hooks, press on that solenoid's plunger a time or two and make sure the hooks aren't hanging up somewhere.
    Also make sure there isn't a big wad of master material on the lower VTR shaft that prevents the hooks from retracting properly. I've never seen that on the FR line, but I have sen that enough times on the GR line that it is probably important.