Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts COPYDOCAZ's Avatar

Angry Ricoh aficio MPC 2051 problems printing on Photo paper

Just need the opinion of some Ricoh Professionals, I have a customer that originally called me for smearing toner and jamming in the fuser. Upon arrival I found toner buildup on the fuser belt and pressure roller. He also showed me copies with unfused but melted toner all over on both the front and back side. So I rebuilt the fuser...replaced the belt and pressure roller bearings and oil roller and cleaning roller, an expensive repair but necessary due to the issues I observed at the time.
    He called back a week later saying it was worse then ever, I went back and ran several test copies which were fine. Then he tells me well plane paper works fine its only when I am making photos that I have the issue, and he opens a drawer and pulls out some photo paper ... yes the kind you get with the very shiny finish and heaver than regular bond paper.
    I told him to run that thru the bypass and adjust the machine for the heaver stock in the paper menu. When he insisted that he needed to run them thru the paper tray I adjusted the paper tray (tray 1) for heavy stock, that worked but he called back saying now the machine was to slow due the the extra warm up required to run the fuser up every copy.
    Can anyone advise me on this situation I can't see anything in the specs that this unit is designed to print on photo paper at all.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts tjvincent's Avatar

Re: Ricoh aficio MPC 2051 problems printing on Photo paper

What's the weight of the paper in Grams per meter squared and does the paper say it's meant to run in a laser printer ?

The guide states the following about Heavy/Glossy Paper;

Paper2.jpg Tray 1 16-68lb Stock. Tray 2 16-45lb Stock. Bypass 13.8-68lb Stock.
    Paper3.jpg Tray 1-2 Plain Paper types. Tray 3-4 Gloss, coated, thick.
    Paper1.jpg Thick Paper effectively halfs the printing speed.

Glossy Heavy Paper is going to take longer no matter what as you are aware, so unfortunately there's nothing else to really tell him other than that.
    If he is using paper outside of the listed stock weight, it's going to cause issues and no amount of setting will really help. The paper itself may even just be too much for that particular model.
    We have a customer who wants to print their envelopes through a 5210, it never works. Our envelopes do. The difference is theirs are pre-printed and have a coating on them that makes fusing difficult and even at max temp it will rub off over time. Sometimes the machine just can't handle it and the customer will find out the hard way.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

It sounds like you've done all you can to adjust the machine. Unless there is aftermarket toner involved, that makes this problem worse.
    If that person can print the photos on plain paper, they might get the full 20 CPM, but that's kind of doubtful as paper will likely jam in the fusing unit. Otherwise, the machine will only do 12 CPM on heavier paper, especially with a glossy coating.
    That person needs an op guide, and also to read said guide.
    Sorry.

As far as I'm aware you can't run gloss photo paper through a Ricoh business machine.
    That is e.g. Kodak style photo paper as the "gloss" is a coating and not thermal compatible.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Agree fully with Oze, you can not feed glossy photo paper through the copier. It is resin coated and will destroy the fuser, the OP should know that. Gsm specs are for plain paper/card , not glossy photo paper. Tell the customer to get an photo inkjet printer if he wants to print on photo paper, and if he throws a tantrum, thats just too bad.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

At the end of the day, this is an office black to colour MFP, not a £250,000 production print machine.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh aficio MPC 2051 problems printing on Photo paper

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    As far as I'm aware you can't run gloss photo paper through a Ricoh business machine.
    That is e.g. Kodak style photo paper as the "gloss" is a coating and not thermal compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    Agree fully with Oze, you can not feed glossy photo paper through the copier. It is resin coated and will destroy the fuser, the OP should know that. Gsm specs are for plain paper/card , not glossy photo paper. Tell the customer to get an photo inkjet printer if he wants to print on photo paper, and if he throws a tantrum, thats just too bad.
    A few years ago this would have been true, the glossy coating on the paper would melt at fusing temperatures. Currently that is only true of paper that is for use in ink jet printers. A number of manufacturers now make laser compatible semi gloss and glossy paper. Look at the label on the paper. If it is laser compatible,it will be labeled as such.

As for the MP C2051 running too slow with the settings you have made, with the toner type used in older models it was necessary to reduce the speed for thick paper in order to achieve proper fusing.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh aficio MPC 2051 problems printing on Photo paper

Sounds to me like he fuc%#d up the fuser running out-of-spec media, tries to tell you that he's only going to us tray 1 for it (which is also out-of-spec), and doesn't like the print speed required for the machine to successfully give a decent image. Don't embrace the insanity, fight it. Just another douchebag that thinks he has a pro model machine and won't listen to the guy that actually knows the equipment. How stupid is that?
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

LASER GLOSS!!::Re: Ricoh aficio MPC 2051 problems printing on Photo paper

...the ONLY Gloss paper that I have run thru a color laser printer has been GLOSSY BROCHURE PAPER FOR LASER! It is coated with CLAY to give it the gloss!...You have to slow the speed waaay down and ramp the heat up on the fuser! I have been successful before but BECAUSE of the high heat retention properties of the clay in the paper, you have to have someone at the machine to snatch the paper out of the output tray....if you don't, you will have a stack of paper with sheets stuck together since the toner is still tacky on the hot paper!...you might be able to point a small fan at the tray to cool the paper as it's coming out! I stopped using the clay based paper since it is a PITA...now I just use a 34+ Lb matte finish paper which works fine and I don't have to worry about the heat build up issue!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html