Riso GR drum, dead ink pump?

I picked up an untested GR drum off eBay a while back and have the sneaking suspicion that the ink pump might be broken. I gave it a full cleaning (the plan was to switch it from a one color to another) and put in a new bottle of ink, but the pump isn't pulling any ink from the tube through the ink pump.

My machine is an FR3950UI. Here's what I've done so far:
    After completely cleaning the drum (squeegee unit, ink pump unit, screen... everything), I put on a confidential master and ran several hundred sheets through the machine, bypassing continual "replace ink tube" error messages along the way. No ink was on the screen so I pulled out the ink tube, peered into the drum, and noticed that no ink had made it out of the ink pump unit onto the squeegee roller. I dismantled the entire drum again to confirm that everything was correctly installed, all PC boards were plugged in, etc., and tried it all again. Same fate. I ran test mode 101 for a couple minutes, but still no ink. In a previous thread, some had commented on a "sound" they heard while running test mode 101—I assume it was the sound of the ink pump doing its thing—but I don't notice any sounds that can't be heard while in normal printing mode (for comparison's sake, I put in another working drum, ran test mode 101, and it sounded the same).

Questions:
    Does this mean I have a dead ink pump on my hands?
    Are there any other tests I can run to confirm that the problem is pump-related, as opposed to perhaps a sensor error?
    Is it simply that the pump not priming?
    Could it be something else that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Riso GR drum, dead ink pump?

I'd be more suspicious of the drum board, because the ink pump won't run even in test mode if the drum board tells the machine that drum is properly inked. That's why you didn't hear the pump run on your good drum.
    Make sure the antennas are cleaned and properly adjusted. If you have a junk drum you might even try swapping drum boards.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I'd be more suspicious of the drum board, because the ink pump won't run even in test mode if the drum board tells the machine that drum is properly inked. That's why you didn't hear the pump run on your good drum.
    Make sure the antennas are cleaned and properly adjusted. If you have a junk drum you might even try swapping drum boards.
    Try another ink motor?

Thanks for the suggestion, Iowatech. I swapped both of the drum PCBs (the control PCB in the front and the other one that's sitting next to the ink pump) from another working drum in my inventory, but it's still not drawing any ink into the pump. As DAG mentioned, perhaps it's the pump motor (however I'm less inclined to remove this part from a working drum for the purpose of science...).

Before I label this drum a parts-drum, any other suggestions?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I suppose I'd check the connector on the drum to make sure it connects correctly with the connector on the machine just to be sure, but that's really unlikely to be the cause of the problem.
    Looks like DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS has the best idea. Be sure to give him the credit for that too if you can.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cicr View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, Iowatech. I swapped both of the drum PCBs (the control PCB in the front and the other one that's sitting next to the ink pump) from another working drum in my inventory, but it's still not drawing any ink into the pump. As DAG mentioned, perhaps it's the pump motor (however I'm less inclined to remove this part from a working drum for the purpose of science...).

Before I label this drum a parts-drum, any other suggestions?
    Just give it a try, science is both theory and practical. By doing so, your findings will help other forum members with similar challenge. You could also check that rubber at the spigot of the drum if its intact. This is at the point where the ink bottle mouth enters into the drum's ink unit inlet. That spigot rubber provides the required suction pressure for the ink. Sometimes it slides off into the ink bottle, causing loss of pressure.
    Last edited by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS; 03-18-2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: additional information.

Please if someone have drivers for V8000 win XP ...... Send me link igorbirokip@gmail.com
    Thanks

if you disassembled the ink pump make sure the pressure springs have the rubber caps and they are in the position you took them off, lube the piston, and also there is a metal screen mesh inside clean it, I would put the ink pump into the cartridge without the motor and pump it manually, to see if it has pressure and will pull the ink.