Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    HP 4100 FIVES PCL ERROR

HP 4100 FIVES PCL ERROR

HI Folks, I have cust. that is using a few of this model still. 1 of them is giving PCL ERRO/SUBSYSTEM: KERNAL
    ERROR: unsupported protocol...anyone help me with this? printer gives no error, everytime/everyone prints, this printer error page is the only thing that comes out....?, I can printer internal pages,cong. page, printer info, just fine. Customers IT guys insisits its the printer, theres another HP 4100 side by side, so I checked settings,,I dont see any conflicts..wondering if it could be the jet direct car gone haywire, and or the formatter pcb?
    printer is on network windows 7 32 bit, but other HP 4100 is working just fine....Thanks, any help appreciated...

Jaime
    Indep. Copier Svc
    CT.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: HP 4100 FIVES PCL ERROR

You could try swapping formatters (make sure the network card stays with the machine) but I'd swear this is a driver problem.

Actually, try swapping network cards too. First the formatters, then the network cards.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    HP 4100 FIVES PCL ERROR

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    You could try swapping formatters (make sure the network card stays with the machine) but I'd swear this is a driver problem.

Actually, try swapping network cards too. First the formatters, then the network cards.
    i have to agree.. some IT guys just don't like hearing that it's " THEIR" problem..since they ( like democrats ) MAKE NO MISTAKES!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

its the driver
    Izzy

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    HP 4100 FIVES PCL ERROR

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    its the driver
    Thanks Folks...your LL RIGHT, IT WAS THE DRIVER, BUT THE COMPANIES EGO IT GUY, WANTR TO BLAME THE THE PRINTER...!!
    but I did get a call, saying he switched to a pcl5 driver, and now its works...he wasnt around yesterday, for me to try it, as its locked down with permissions...Its, a very large attorney firm, here in New LOndon, CT..
    so thanks, All

Jaime P
    I.C.S.
    CT.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP 4100 FIVES PCL ERROR

Have a customer with a 4000 using a serial to USB (yeah, really) cable to a laptop. User logged in and I noticed they were using the newest UPD driver. Newest won't work. I don't trust PCL6 with old printers.

Have another customer with an old 1300. Again using the newest UPD. They also had an older UPD installed. Changed to the older version and it started printing fine.