Technician

Canon IR Advance C5051 Drum counter

Just wanted to confirm this counter. I have two of these machines, used but recently new to me.

Level 1>COPIER>COUNTER>LF

Displays the drum life %?

I'm getting yellow streaking on one of the machines.
    Curious if there is a drum count somewhere or just percentage. I thought these machines came with newer drums but on the streaking machine all the drums are 130+% if that's what the counter means.

Do these counters reset upon drum replacement or does it need to be manually done?

Thanks again.

Re: Canon IR Advance C5051 Drum counter

you have to reset the counters manually, when you reset them they start from 0 so I'm guessing yours has done 30% over its life, but id swap the yellow drum with your other machine to see if the fault moves before ordering a new drum

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

To clear Drum Part Counters > Service Mode > COPIER > COUNTER > DRBL-1PT-DRM = Bk Photosensitive Drum parts counterLv.1 = Details =
    1st line: Total counter value from the previous replacement■
    2nd line: Estimated life.
    Use case = When checking the consumption level of parts/replacing the parts
    Adj/set/operate method = To clear the counter value: Select the item, and then press Clear key.■
    To change the estimated life: Select the item, enter the value, and then press OK key.

Caution
    = Clear the counter value after replacement.
    Display/adj/set range 0 to 99999999
    Default value 0

other Drums can also be cleared-----
    PT-DR-Y Photosensitive Drums parts counters
    PT-DR-M
    PT-DR-C
    ================================================== ================================================== ===================
    The internal primary transfer roller in the old
    drums is probably causing the problem.

You can test this theory by using another new drum unit, but before inserting it in the machine, turn off "AINR" in Service Mode:

Turn off "AINR" in Service Mode...Copier>Function>Install>AINR to 1 to (turn off).
    Setting AINR to 1 will prevent the drum fuse from blowing.
    This is used as a troubleshooting practice in order to check the image quality of the drum unit.

Note:
    Be sure to return the setting AINR to "0" when testing has been completed.

================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ===

Service Mode "
    AINR"

When a new drum unit is installed to this machine, the state and data of the old and new drum units are initialized. Once a new drum unit is installed to narrow down the cause of an image failure, etc., the data of the old drum is cleared.

Even if the old drum is re-installed to the machine, its state is considered almost brand new, and a correct print image might not be outputted. Also, if a once-installed new drum unit is installed to another machine, the state and data of the old and new drum units are not initialized.

For these reasons, make sure not to use a new drum unit as a means to narrow down the cause of a failure.

If there is a need to replace the drum unit with a new one to narrow down the cause of an image failure, change the setting of "AINR" in Service Mode to "1" first, and then make the replacement. This setting temporarily disables the initialization of the drum unit.
    - Service Mode > COPIER > Function > INSTALL > AINR (default: 0)

Note: Make sure to set "0" to "AINR" again after the check operation is finished.
    Last edited by teckat; 04-11-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Thanks teckat , I see those numbers now. Then what is the LF counter?

I attached counter images from both machines Canon1 and Canon2. For example, "Canon1"
    Canon1-DRBL_1_2.JPG and and Canon1_LF.jpg, PT-DR-Y counter shows 00074903, 00050000, 149% that makes sense, but what is the LF counter Y-DRM-LF showing 135?

When replacing a drum unit, do BOTH DRBL_1 and LF counters need cleared manually?

Since we're discussing clearing counters, an aside question for some of the other consumable counters on the DRBL-1 screens, do things such as the transfer cleaning blade T-CLN-BD and waste toner WST-TNR need to be cleared manually when replacing as well? I'm asking since Canon1-DRBL_1_2.JPG shows WST-TNR at 491% which seem unrealistic unless the counter needed cleared.

What is the last column in the DRBL-1 as it has some different values between the two machines?

I understand from your post, I should turn AINR off (1) temporarily if I'm going to swap drums for testing, like swapping cyan and yellow, or from one machine to another.

Thank you again.

Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker73 View Post
    Just wanted to confirm this counter. I have two of these machines, used but recently new to me.

Level 1>COPIER>COUNTER>LF

Displays the drum life %?

I'm getting yellow streaking on one of the machines.
    Curious if there is a drum count somewhere or just percentage. I thought these machines came with newer drums but on the streaking machine all the drums are 130+% if that's what the counter means.

Do these counters reset upon drum replacement or does it need to be manually done?

Thanks again.
    They can go up to 150% with no problems but best if under 100%. Sounds like you need all the drums or just replace the yellow. I get more cyan and magenta streaks but yellow last. Sometimes you get a lot higher. The suggestion of swapping drums is good to find problem. Occasionally the toner builds up on mag roller of color causing streaks. Have seen this on all developers but think drum first, developer second. If there is another drum count I don't know about it. I use the percentage. This model it resets automatically, some models they don't.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts

Thanks teckat , I see those numbers now. Then what is the LF counter?

I attached counter images from both machines Canon1 and Canon2. For example, "Canon1"
    Canon1-DRBL_1_2.JPG and and Canon1_LF.jpg, PT-DR-Y counter shows 00074903, 00050000, 149% that makes sense, but what is the LF counter Y-DRM-LF showing 135?

When replacing a drum unit, do BOTH DRBL_1 and LF counters need cleared manually?

Since we're discussing clearing counters, an aside question for some of the other consumable counters on the DRBL-1 screens, do things such as the transfer cleaning blade T-CLN-BD and waste toner WST-TNR need to be cleared manually when replacing as well? I'm asking since Canon1-DRBL_1_2.JPG shows WST-TNR at 491% which seem unrealistic unless the counter needed cleared.

What is the last column in the DRBL-1 as it has some different values between the two machines?

I understand from your post, I should turn AINR off (1) temporarily if I'm going to swap drums for testing, like swapping cyan and yellow, or from one machine to another.

Thank you again.

Hi

Use green Info button.

Capture.jpg
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Hi
    If all the drums are that high I would suggest changing them all. We have had quite a few where you change one faulty drum and the others then start giving lines. Some do it straight away when doing the gradation charts you might get cyan or magenta lines, others a couple of days and we have had to go back with drums.
    Your choice of course but if the customer is far away then be prepared to go back.

I changed a set today, black was 193% and still ok colours 114-148% only cyan causing issue but replaced them all to prevent repeat call.

Tx cleaning blade and others parts need manual clearing.

Good luck

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by zoraldinho View Post
    Hi

Use green Info button.

Capture.jpg
    Thank you. Checked that for descriptions. Just curious why DRBL-1PT-BR-Y drum counter shows accurate 26% usage vs est life, but drum life, LF counter, Y-DRM-LF shows 50. What is the difference between usage/estimated life count percentage vs LF "drum life"?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Thank you. Checked that for descriptions. Just curious why DRBL-1PT-BR-Y drum counter shows accurate 26% usage vs est life, but drum life, LF counter, Y-DRM-LF shows 50. What is the difference between usage/estimated life count percentage vs LF "drum life"?

These models contain logic (a default setting) to help the dealer controlcosts by only allowing a toner bottle to be replaced by the end-usercustomer when approximately 5% of its content remains.
    However, thiscan be disabled in Service Mode thereby allowing replacement of a bottleat any time by the end-user customer. Please see the Service Manual fordetails.

For imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5051/C5045
    GPR-30 Black Drum Unit = 2776B004BA -171,000 *
    GPR-30 Color Drum Unit = 2777B004BA - 85,000 *

Estimated Life(copies/prints)

* Value is based on LTR sized paper.
    Estimated average values in the field, based on data from supplier.
    Data is subject to changedepending upon many factors including, without limitation, monthly copy volume, environment, type of image printed andcustomer handling of the equipment

A consumable part’s life expectancy is directlyrelated to usage factors, such as paper size, paper quality, environment, usageapplication, and machine maintenance.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

hi..if yellow streak is over the white of the page then drum surface has gone.if yellow is in the image part and not on the white of the page then its the charge roller.you can strip out drum,remove the charge roller.i use a damp cloth with sunlight liq and I polish roller.use clean dry cloth and dry.remove excess waste around unit and put in.not to much work and saves money