Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

slow printing pictures from email or internet

I have a customer with a Lanier LP 126cn same as a ricoh sp c 4000. Printer prints everything fine except pictures from internet or emails, really prints that stuff slow. Any ideas will be helpful, can't find a firmware update available, if anyone has any, or knows a place to downlaod from. please let me know Thanks

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: slow printing pictures from email or internet

download the pictures then print.

there is extra data on a webpage that can slow or even stop it from printing

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I believe the problem is caused from deliberate oversize font hack java-scripts placed into webpages HTML/PHP code. The author/company protects their web page copyright from printout out using deliberate oversize font hack scripting. Over size fonts do not page render down for printing when using PCL or PS vector graphics or true type fonts, due to the mathematical scaling matrix conversion being quiet a large virtual memory size. Convert the web pages from windows onscreen vectors, or convert the web pages to simple raster image based graphics.

One method to solve webpage font hack scripting:
    SaveAs/Print the entire webpage(s) to an XPS or PDF format, and then print the save webpage(s) out as normal from the XPS/PDF doc file.

Free Programs like SumatraPDF can read and print XPS and PDF format.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Have you tried printing from more than one browser and got the same results? Internet Explorer is a big culprit for printing issues, especially with pages containing HTML5 content.
    Are the users just printing the page, or are they using a printable view option for a page? Too many people ignore the nice 'print this page' option built on a lot of web pages that will take out most of the content that can cause issues.
    Have you checked for an updated print driver, or tried a different one? Drivers get updated every so often, and often include things like better support for web fonts or other little fixes that help. PCL6 drivers also seem to just want to give garbage with a lot of web pages.
    Have you tried an ad blocker or tracking protection list (Internet Explorer only) to see about killing any third-party elements? Again, if there's less for the printer to render that it can't understand, the better the chances of getting a decent result.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Have you tried printing from more than one browser and got the same results? Internet Explorer is a big culprit for printing issues, especially with pages containing HTML5 content.
    Are the users just printing the page, or are they using a printable view option for a page? Too many people ignore the nice 'print this page' option built on a lot of web pages that will take out most of the content that can cause issues.
    Have you checked for an updated print driver, or tried a different one? Drivers get updated every so often, and often include things like better support for web fonts or other little fixes that help. PCL6 drivers also seem to just want to give garbage with a lot of web pages.
    Have you tried an ad blocker or tracking protection list (Internet Explorer only) to see about killing any third-party elements? Again, if there's less for the printer to render that it can't understand, the better the chances of getting a decent result.
    I agree.

Printing out of most email apps is never a good idea. Always save the attachment first, then print that file.

Straight printing out of nearly ANY browser is even worse. There is so much junk on web pages that any printer will have a tough time trying to wade through it all. Again, search for the elusive "print this page" option. Web pages never have been printer friendly.

I have seen a number of apps that are completely web based, and quite often users need to print from them. In fact, quite a few solutions have a thick client, which is an app that installs on the workstation, as well as a thin client, which is web based. Those thin clients are normally written so that they make printing less painful.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If you do not want to download first, then preview the page and print from the preview screen.