Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

HP office jet X476dn MFP (the high speed inkjet all in one) with print bar jam, open

this darn thing don't make no sense. the display will show "print bar jam" and a short video and description of how to "open the ink access door, remove any obstructions and close the door. once done, touch OK." but there isn't anything in there. its just a cavity that holds the ink cartridges? i have looked inside at the ? web station that slides over and back, the ? wiper scanner. after resetting it, it might work for a while, maybe not. the customer said that lately when they attempt to perform a print head cleaning, it will only start and freeze up on the first stage. they unplug and it may go into the 2nd stage next time, but never finishes.

does any one know what to make of this error? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you very much. have a nice day, Jim

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    HP office jet X476dn MFP (the high speed inkjet all in one) with print bar jam, open

Re: HP office jet X476dn MFP (the high speed inkjet all in one) with print bar jam, o

ink bar is the actual " printhead assmy.. may take some disassembly to get to look at it

Re: HP office jet X476dn MFP (the high speed inkjet all in one) with print bar jam, o

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    ink bar is the actual " printhead assmy.. may take some disassembly to get to look at it
    but as i understand it, the print head/ bar in those machines is stationary?? adding to the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post
    but as i understand it, the print head/ bar in those machines is stationary?? adding to the confusion.
    yes stationary... it sits left to right in the body of the machine.. more than likely there is paper caught under the bar.

yes stationary... it sits left to right in the body of the machine.. more than likely there is paper caught under the bar.
    yea, i was able to look at some of the "bar" with a mirror and didn't see anything in there. i also got a pretty good look at the cleaning roller web that is inside above where the copy receiving tray is. nothing i could find in there. is there a sensor that would cause this error indication that could be dirty? yes, its a pain to get in there. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post
    yea, i was able to look at some of the "bar" with a mirror and didn't see anything in there. i also got a pretty good look at the cleaning roller web that is inside above where the copy receiving tray is. nothing i could find in there. is there a sensor that would cause this error indication that could be dirty? yes, its a pain to get in there. thanks.
    yup if no paper then it would be a sensor.. start with the paper sully and work your way to the output area.. it it doesn't move or wiggles too much thats the one...if you have a dental pick ( right angle ) push it in behind the sensor flag.. could be a chunk of paper ripped off in there... or use a big paperclip straightened with a hook at the end.

yup if no paper then it would be a sensor.. start with the paper sully and work your way to the output area.. it it doesn't move or wiggles too much thats the one...if you have a dental pick ( right angle ) push it in behind the sensor flag.. could be a chunk of paper ripped off in there... or use a big paperclip straightened with a hook at the end.
    many of the sensors, at least inside the left side door and photo sensors. it looks like a royal pain to get it all apart? yes, do have and regularily use, my trusty dental tool. right next to my Phillips and torx

correction. "many of the sensors i saw are photo sensors" not the actuator style. is there a particular sensor location to check for this error? and how would anyone be able to clear a jam from the ink access hole??