Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

CS 2551ci grey background

I have a CS 2551ci with grey background on the front of internal prints that kind of looks like a dirty charge roller. The back side of a single sided print has grey streaking that resembles cleaning blade failure that stops abruptly after about three inches from the lead edge. I first suspected after market toner, but this is not the case.Re-flashed the machine with latest firmware. Tried a new developing unit, new toner cartridge and swapped drums between two other colors. All supplies have around 50,000 prints and were done in December. (except the Dev., which is now new) Appears all the grounding spring are clean and intact, with relatively no misting in black. (a bit in magenta) Fuser looks great, and even the secondary transfer roller was relatively clean. The problem diminishes on longer runs but never really totally clears up. Any ideas on this one? Anyone out there seen this bat-shit crazy behavior before? I've attached a sample.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: CS 2551ci grey background

I've had to replace 2 primary belts that caused the back side background problem.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

If it was a transfer belt issue, wouldn't the background be in all 4 colors for a color print? I've looped the sample I posted, obviously a color print, not even a hint of the other three toners in the mix.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It looks like primary transfer cleaning to me too. Look at ColorPic:

primary transfer waste.JPG

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Copystar Tech View Post
    If it was a transfer belt issue, wouldn't the background be in all 4 colors for a color print? I've looped the sample I posted, obviously a color print, not even a hint of the other three toners in the mix.
    Not necessarily. Remember the primary transfer has a transfer roller for each color, so if one is not functioning properly you could get this result. The image on the back side is indicative of the transfer belt not being cleaned off and the previous image being transferred to the back side. I would definitely try another primary transfer.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Look at QA F162.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Yup, that QA describes testing and replacing the transfer pipe that takes waste from the transfer belt and brings it to the front of the machine. If you're finding that the transfer belt waste exit port(hole where it comes out) is plugged solid when you pull the belt and twist the little cover to expose it, or if that little twist cover is jammed, you need to address the pluggage/failure of the pipe. Cleaning-out or replacing the transfer belt will only work for a while until the waste builds-up again and starts leaving junk on the pages.

The pipe isn't fun at all to replace, but we have has a few 2550, 2551, fs-c8525 and such machines require it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts The_Murph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sparkycivic View Post
    Yup, that QA describes testing and replacing the transfer pipe that takes waste from the transfer belt and brings it to the front of the machine. If you're finding that the transfer belt waste exit port(hole where it comes out) is plugged solid when you pull the belt and twist the little cover to expose it, or if that little twist cover is jammed, you need to address the pluggage/failure of the pipe. Cleaning-out or replacing the transfer belt will only work for a while until the waste builds-up again and starts leaving junk on the pages.

The pipe isn't fun at all to replace, but we have has a few 2550, 2551, fs-c8525 and such machines require it.

This is the root of all evil on these models. Keep in mind that that assembly also drives the waste auger across the front for all 4 drums as well. I've had several instances where the waste system in the drums breaks as well and they need replacement too. Beware hidden symptoms.
    If you phrase your inquiry properly, you will get the answers you seek...

Good Luck ... You'll need it! HAHAHA!

~Big Dan~

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

So, went back to the site today and, sure enough, the cleaning auger of the transfer belt was backed up and impacted with toner. Vacuumed out all excess from the transfer belt and all recycling ports. Can someone tell me where I can find QAs on KDAConnect? Search doesn't bring up anything useful.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Go to Technical Resources>Service Portal. It's not real easy to navigate, but you should be able to find it with the QA number.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook