Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MFP/IT Technician.

Re: MFP/IT Technician.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    I'm both. I can do both. I'm billed at different rates for whatever job I'm performing.

I completely setup (ran CAT5e, punched the panel, setup server & PC's) in our original office. Once we moved, we had someone run the cabling and do the punching, but, I still setup the switch, Comcast (first), then Verizon (once they came to the building) and new server. Couple of years ago, I planned and deployed a wireless network in a Library. Consisting of 5 floors. User would come in, push a button on a little thermal printer for the amount of time they wanted and they would receive a code to connect to the wireless network. I'm the system admin for an off contract account we used to have.

I'm also the senior printer technician. I work on multiple models (as long as I feel comfortable), mainly HP though. Secondly, Dell, then Lexmark. I'm certified on all currently active HP printer certifications (no plotters), HP Workstations, Desktops & Laptops and Dell printers. I let my Dell PC certs slip as we don't do much anymore.

I think having an understanding in both fields should be a requirement.

See though, you ran and punched wires...most IT guys now a days can't do that, they use an electrician for that service so you have a leg up there.

Printers...big big difference in what you can and do service on a printer and on a copier. Generally different copy process too as most printers are mono-component and copiers are dual. I have seen lots of certified printer techs rotate in and out the door when they are in horror that they have to disassemble a fuser and rebuild it rather than just toss in a new one and don't get me started on imaging/developing unit rebuild.

Whats real fun is when me and my techs know more IT than the IT department..actually this seems to happen a lot.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MFP/IT Technician.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    And I'm one of them, an old fashioned hardware tech who has to struggle on for another 3 years and 13 days before I go the same way as typewriter techs.
    Hey, i still have people call in wanting to know if we will work on their typewriter from time to time ...if you want, i can send them to you... ;p

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MFP/IT Technician.

Whats real fun is when me and my techs know more IT than the IT department..actually this seems to happen a lot.
    Yup. Happens here quite often. Just recently, I was dealing with a corrupted print job sitting in some PC's print que somewhere. That's not my job. I have no access to PC's with this account. I tell them there is a job stuck somewhere and a week later, I'm told for troubleshooting, they changed the IP of the printer, but, it's still throwing the error. I go onsite, physically change the IP of the printer from the control panel and hook it up to my laptop via a crossover cable. Set my laptop to match. It sits there quietly and happy on my "network". Tells me Mr. Network Guru DIDN'T change the IP.

Printers...big big difference in what you can and do service on a printer and on a copier.
    Completely agree. One of our accounts asked if we could replace the HDD in a Toshiba e-Studio 206L. We don't touch copiers and I informed them of such. They respond that it's an MFP and used mostly for printing. And your point is???? It's classified as a copier. We don't work on copiers.

....when they are in horror that they have to disassemble a fuser and rebuild it rather than just toss in a new one and don't get me started on imaging/developing unit rebuild.
    Yes. I understand in the copier world, on-site fuser rebuilds is normal. I've done a couple of printer fuser rebuilds, but, at the shop. It just takes time. Time we usually don't have out in the field.

MFP/IT Technician.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent128 View Post
    Hey, i still have people call in wanting to know if we will work on their typewriter from time to time ...if you want, i can send them to you... ;p
    Thanks for the offer, my hourly rate is reasonable but my travel charge might be a little excessive
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Tech first. IT later. It don't matter if you can install a driver but can't fix jams or lines

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent128 View Post
    We still fix them. Get quite a few in the shop.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

MFP/IT Technician.

I was a PC gamer since 1977 and learned how a computer worked and learned DOS.
    Spent time in the Navy where I worked on a touch tone phone system that used octal programming from 1969.
    Got out of the Navy and got a job fixing copiers in 1983.
    Never lost my love of PC gaming and started building my own computers so I could play the latest games all the while working on copiers.
    When printers became laser instead of dot matrix, I was all over it.
    When copiers became digital some 12 years later, I was asked to be the IT guy because I had computer background as a hobby.
    In 2001 I went to night school to take MCSE courses and taught the class how to install Copiers as printers since I had been doing it for a few years.

In 2007 I started my own business that covered both IT and MFP installs and troubleshooting both.
    The phone never stopped ringing, because 5 independents and 2 dealers couldn't solve the problems.
    Had to close the business 7 years later due to health problems.
    I am just now getting back into the game.
    To me, a copier is a copier and a network is a network.
    Solving printing problems is a piece of cake. Scanning problems, I usually have to fight with the IT guy who thinks he knows everything and just sees me as a copier guy until I prove him wrong by research and installation guides from each manufacturer. (A network is a network).

I don't see a problem being both if you just do the reading and play with your own home network.
    I never touch servers. I leaves me open to liability issues. I will work with the IT guy supporting the server and most of the time he learns something, if he listens to me.
    Computers are easy to learn and or troubleshoot. They have something installed called help. Learn the terminology and look it up on the computer, or just Google it.
    Anyone can go to a school and pass a written test. Not all can apply it to real world situations, so certifications are BS without the ability to understand them.

Can a toner head also do IT work?
    I am a prime example that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Think about one thing.......................everything that is electronic is menu based.
    Learn the menu and the rest is cake.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MFP/IT Technician.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    Spent time in the Navy where I worked on a touch tone phone system that used octal programming from 1969.
    Got out of the Navy and got a job fixing copiers in 1983.
    Any chance that was an IVCS (Integrated Voice Communication System STC 1) phone system? IVCS was used on the LHA amphibious assault ships.

DTMF (dual tone multi frequency) dialing, reed relay switching matrix, octal coded binary programming language, optical mylar tape drive for loading the program, and dot matrix printer for output.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

There is one life lesson I have learnt :
    The "more skills you know, the more people expect DEMAND for you to do it." It gets to a point that I call Santa Clause Syndrome. People expect no less than wonderful happy surprises and free gifts that appear out of no where, all for nil effort and no extra cost.

If your a Santa Clause like me, you get hours of extra work load paid for with a thankyou and a smile.

My brother say's I'm a welcome saint in the moment, and that I'm clocking up Soul-credits for heaven. I say that's great!!. When can I cash the B@st@rds in for cash!!...

The only limits on learning any new skill is fixed only by the limits we place on ourselves. The universe is infinite, we are all learning new skills every day (especially those with alzheimer's) joking... just...

When you stop learning --you start dying....

Keep on learning, and never be afraid to step out of your comfort zone now and again....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

We are required to do both. Some take to like it was no big deal, some struggle and learn the basics, and some are just clueless and always need help.Since it is company policy, we deal with it the best we can.