Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SMB Scanning Warning Low Memory

Have A TA6002i, doing smb scanning with the following settings enaled: 400x400dpi(ultra fine), PDF Quality 3, Continuous Scan, File Seperation, Border Erase, Blank Page, Auto Color/BW. Intermittently getting a Warning Low Memory error when scanning. Scanning to WIN 2012 R2 server with shared folders, using ports 139 & 445, both confirmed to be open. Problem occurs about every 2-3 days, its never occured while ive been on site. sat & watched user scan for 30+ minutes straight without an error. no error codes, just memory error.

Also, have swapped surges, patch cables, updated firmware & even swapped like machines. the account has 6 machines & 3 of them do the same thing. Only errors when using previously mentioned settings. never seems to error when just scanning with default settings.

Is there a setting that could clean the cache & temp files on the hdd, that can be scheduled for more frequently.

if anyone has any input, it would be gratefully appreciated! ive been fighting the problem for 6+ monthsKyocera Error 06-01-17.jpg

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

Re: SMB Scanning Warning Low Memory

Is there any particular document that can be used as a baseline? You would think you could reproduce the error every time the same document is scanned using the same settings. With these particular scan settings, there might be a lot of background memory consumed to process the blank page removal, border erase, auto color detect etc.

Since you have 3 machines doing it at the same location, my guess is that the machine just can't process the scan load being thrown at it using the desired scan settings. The machine can handle it, just not with those settings.

How many pages are they trying to scan when the error gets triggered?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

color and 400x400 are going to make a huge file to transmit. drop it to 200x200 and turn off color, unless they absolutely need it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SCBAKER View Post
    Have A TA6002i, doing smb scanning with the following settings enaled: 400x400dpi(ultra fine), PDF Quality 3, Continuous Scan, File Seperation, Border Erase, Blank Page, Auto Color/BW. Intermittently getting a Warning Low Memory error when scanning. Scanning to WIN 2012 R2 server with shared folders, using ports 139 & 445, both confirmed to be open. Problem occurs about every 2-3 days, its never occured while ive been on site. sat & watched user scan for 30+ minutes straight without an error. no error codes, just memory error.

Also, have swapped surges, patch cables, updated firmware & even swapped like machines. the account has 6 machines & 3 of them do the same thing. Only errors when using previously mentioned settings. never seems to error when just scanning with default settings.

Is there a setting that could clean the cache & temp files on the hdd, that can be scheduled for more frequently.

if anyone has any input, it would be gratefully appreciated! ive been fighting the problem for 6+ monthsKyocera Error 06-01-17.jpg
    Is there a reason the customer needs file separation? This makes every page a separate file to be transmitted and stored. If they are scanning 50 or 60 pages this creates 50 or 60 separate files which could cause a low memory warning as the HDD is not used in this case. Is there a reason to have each page stored as a separate file? Normally a user that scans a stack of documents want them stored as one file, if they need each individual page stored as a separate file have them reduce the number of pages they place in the DP to reduce the number of files created. Have you tried turning off the file separation to see if you get the same results?

Its dif size jobs, theyve stated its got the warning scanning only 1 page or scanning 70, its very inconsistant, ive personly scanned a 60 pg job, full color, 600x600 & other settings & it worked just fine, so i dont think being able to scan the same job will get us very far.

And they wont let it scan 300x300, says the quality is too poor & when reprinted it looks terrible. She has a program setup with all these settings & we tried changing them for testing purposes & we set it to 300x300 with pdf quality to 5 & she freaked out & said we cant do that. I think im helpless here, i think my cust is my problem lol. Shes keeps saying "well the old 5500i worked & didnt have this issue"

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Is there a TWAIN scan driver available? I would think there is.

If so, they can buy the full version of Adobe Acrobat (NOT Reader!) and scan with all the settings they want, at high resolution.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re. Low memory when SMB scanning:

Had something very similar on a rival brand(ricoh) machine.
    We swapped out all the RAM, optics CCD, HDD etc, etc.

It was fixed by one of the other Techs. I can't fully remember what he did to fix the fault. I believe it may have had something to do with the network share on the receiving PC timing out. Long time ago now.

Sorry I can't give any more light than the above...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

This may be nearly impossible, but worth a shot.

IF you can find a stack of originals that consistently has the problem, connect your notebook directly (old term "crossover"), and try scanning to it.

You will know very quickly if it's a machine problem or not.

Again, finding that magic stack of originals will be a challenge.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

i believe its something with there network, but im struggling to get any help from the IT ppl, its pretty sucure location & th same response i get is the old machines didnt have this problem.

Weve tried scanning directly to my laptop & couldnt duplicate the issue, but at the same time, ive been dealing with this issue for 7-8 months, goin to the site a cpl times a week & watch it scan & only 1 time have i seen this problem occur. the issue is the fact its an older lady how knows what all these features due & wants to try & use them all, she freaked out when we tried to change settings & she does use file seperation everytime, but she uses it pretty frequienty. no one else in that entire place has this issue except 2 ladies. & the older lady set up these programs with all these features, everyone else straight scans.

were tryin to get them to test pinpoint temporarily to see if the problem goes away, but there fighting that. im fighting a loosing battle, considering ther isnt anything wrong with the machine, in my opinion.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I feel your pain.

I had a customer just like this with a bizhub C224, that would print > then SMB scan the print > then print it again. The image had a light green watermark in the background which made this whole ordeal especially challenging. I ended up with 600x600, color, photo, background adj, sharpness ... all the bells and whistles, and it actually did exactly what they wanted ... at the price of 12M per page.

About 3 months down the line I got a service call for: "Won't Scan". Their terabyte HDD on their server was at 98%. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=