Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Generational differences

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    no the comedians of the era NEVER did use " blue comedy " .. they did however make fun of themselves or parody ( in a good way ) different groups ( ie Keystone Cops )

it is just a reflection of the lack of moral values that we we see in " comedy " today.

I have to agree that colleges are nothing more than a liberal indoctrination center today. It has even slid down to the middle/elementary school levels. Doing work in many schools I am amazed to see what and how things are being taught. I have even witnessed a "teacher" in a middle school ridiculing a student on their views of the country - liberty - religion... shameful
    oh and lets not even get into the debate of teaching sex ed in school.
    There were blue comedians back then. Most famous being Lenny Bruce. And there were others less prominent. They did not have the exposure they do now because back then most of the country only had the three possibly four over the air broadcast channels. Before cable and fifty channels that had to compete for viewers so raunchy became a possibility because you were paying for the service . Richard Pryor was one of the more popular that used raunchy humor when he was just getting his start.
    And they had some really strict broadcast standards. For example "All in the Family" was the first broadcast show that actually had the sound of a toilet flushing. Then there was the problem on several shows with as they said back then, "scantily clad women" showing their belly buttons. You know like Maryann in "Gilligan's Island" or Jennie on "I dream of Jennie"

If you can receive a network called Decades they actually rerun "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" Be prepared to wonder at some of the humor it is after all social commentary from the late 60's and early 70's. But they are funny. And if you can actually see the source of the current blonde jokes humor. Her name is Goldie Hawn and as smart as she has shown herself to be her characters on the show were definitely the source of dumb blonde jokes. Then again back when the show was on the air the popular jokes being told were of an ethnic character. Either Polish or Italian ethnic groups were object of the jokes. But a certain comedian started telling the exact same jokes with rednecks as the butt of the sarcasm.
    Last edited by gneebore; 08-02-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    And how about the new trend in every show..At least one gay couple that must be shown making out. I can't tell you how many shows have been destroyed for me by this crap, save all the PDAs (including hetro) for the big screen where people that want to see this can pay for it. It's found it's way into the commercials now too. How can such a low % of the population have such an effect on the rest of us..And please, I really don't want to hear about how I'm such a homophobe, I couldn't care less what the gay couple down the street is doing in their bedroom at night, but I draw the line at the transgender stuff. Tattoo some stripes on me and surgically add a tail, and presto!! I'm a tiger. Geez. EMujo
    Actually getting even weirder. From one or two accounts that I have found, not confirmed yet in a more substantial news source, the reworked Roseanne show has added a nine year old going through the problems of being a possible transgendered child.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Generational differences

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    No i'm actually saying it is the dimwitted liberal leftist nonsense being used to indoctrinate the recent and current college students. Besides of course any leftist can imply Trump being blamed while conveniently ignoring the ten years reference. So no I'm actually blaming Shillary and her crowd.
    Sorry. I really wasn't trying to start anything. Shillary and Trumpski are off limits in this thread. There is another one for that.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re :TV, Comedy profanity....
    How the "human value system" or acceptable moral standard of todays broadcast to the wider community has changed drastically from old.

I remember in my day, when television first started broadcasting, comedy was on the production genere'.

We had a television comedian by the name of Graham Kennedy with many talents. (TV era: 1960s-1990s)
    His greats claim to fame was when he walked out onto the stage and said to the audience:
    "How the f#$^ are ya's". The outburst of profanity cost him a few years banned from Live TV and Radio.
    He returned to Television years later and become famous for his audible crow call arrrk arrk which
    he would add the consonant f.aaaarrrk f.aaarrk on national TV and Radio.

Point in question: profanity an its "expressionism" is given the normalisation in society, along with the overall social moral degradation that comes with it. What was once an un-acceptable moral from previous generations of people, is now acceptable moral with out any legal consequence's. If Graham Kennedy were alive, he'd be immortalised with the title "King of Profanity" instead of the "King of Television" title he has today.
    But the legal law back then stopped social moral degradation at the grass roots. The law today looks the other way when it's expressed on Broadcast media.

What social degradation will be normalised into our social system in the coming generation years.

Some further Trivia :
    hhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Kennedy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Kennedy
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 08-03-2017 at 04:37 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Re :TV, Comedy profanity....
    How the "human value system" or acceptable moral standard of todays broadcast to the wider community has changed drastically from old.

I remember in my day, when television first started broadcasting, comedy was on the production genere'.

We had a television comedian by the name of Graham Kennedy with many talents. (1960s-1990s)
    His greats claim to fame was when he walked out onto the stage and said to the audience:
    "How the f#$^ are ya's". The outburst of profanity cost him a few years banned from Live TV and Radio.
    He returned to Television years later and become famous for his audible crow call arrrk arrk which
    he would add the consonant f.aaaarrrk f.aaarrk on national TV and Radio.

Point in question: profanity an its "expressionism" is given the normalisation in society, along with the overall social moral degradation that comes with it. What was once an inacceptable moral from previous generations of people, is now acceptable moral with out any legal consequence's. If Graham Kennedy were alive, he'd be immortalised with the title "King of Profanity" instead of the "King of Television" title he has today.
    But the legal law back then stopped social moral degradation at the grass roots. The law today looks the other way when it's expressed on Broadcast media.

What social degradation will be normalised into our social system in the coming generation years.

Some further Trivia :
    hhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Kennedy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Kennedy
    Even later in the 70's was a radio dj in of all places New York. His name was Dom Imus. He was a very popular dj on a top forties station. His cause of banishment was to actually say the word booger on the air. Yeah the actual word for the nasty stuff in your nose. He was brought back to the NY radio audiences four or five years later and became a talk show host.

As for what is going to become normalized in the coming years heck it could be just about anything. Like all those years ago when Soap was first broadcast and it was ground breaking to have a gay character. Truthfully I do not remember if they ever introduced his partner or not. After two or three shows I gave up on the show because it just was not funny. And now the shows are almost required to have a gay couple as members of the core cast.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Generational differences

snip... And now the shows are almost required to have a gay couple as members of the core cast.
    Are you afraid that you'll become gay if you watch a show with a gay couple? Don't watch it if you feel threatened, or don't find the show amusing. And, boycott any of the advertisers, to make a point.
    Last edited by ZOOTECH; 08-03-2017 at 05:32 AM.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Generational differences

Like all those years ago when Soap was first broadcast and it was ground breaking to have a gay character. Truthfully I do not remember if they ever introduced his partner or not.
    They did. It was a star football QB.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Are you afraid that you'll become gay if you watch a show with a gay couple? Don't watch it if you feel threatened, or don't find the show amusing. And, boycott any of the advertisers, to make a point.
    You really have to be a left wing moonbat. I'm not threatened by the shows with gays. I just get tired of of a population that is less than 2 percent of the population becoming 40 percent of the core cast and being involved in major plot developments. The story lines are just not that interesting. It is as bad as just about every single rural southerner being portrayed as a bigoted redneck, or dimwitted barely able to tie their own shoes.

I just do not like the political correct nonsense being the major reason for character orientation or reasons for being added. And not interesting character plot lines being the major reason for the character being a part of the show. I also do not like having hetero couples being added if they have no reason for being part of the plot either.
    Last edited by gneebore; 08-03-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

There was a show called WKRC in Cincinnati. Since I grew up in Cincinnati, I really don't know if that was just a local sit com or if other people watched it. Anyway, one of the episodes was about saying BOOGER on the radio.

There seems to be a pattern with a lot of shows. As their ratings go down, they parade out the gay characters, and the jokes get raunchier.

I too get sick of it. I don't know very many gay people... and Cincinnati is supposed to be one of the most gay-friendly places in the nation. But every show has to eventually make the story line about someone's gayness. Even AGT. I just don't care, and I don't want to hear about it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Generational differences

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    There was a show called WKRC in Cincinnati. Since I grew up in Cincinnati, I really don't know if that was just a local sit com or if other people watched it. Anyway, one of the episodes was about saying BOOGER on the radio.

There seems to be a pattern with a lot of shows. As their ratings go down, they parade out the gay characters, and the jokes get raunchier.

I too get sick of it. I don't know very many gay people... and Cincinnati is supposed to be one of the most gay-friendly places in the nation. But every show has to eventually make the story line about someone's gayness. Even AGT. I just don't care, and I don't want to hear about it.
    Correction, the shows name was WKRP in Cincinnati.