Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Memory stick on controller

The ram dimm on the controller board, usually has one stick of ram and an extra slot for additional ram. If a large office with many stations printing at the same time complains that sometimes the printing seems slow, does the addition of an extra ram stick in the empty slot, ie doubling the memory, does that help ? In this case its a mpc 4501, but this applies to all models. Anyone done this and noticed any difference ? I have added extra ram when sc899 has come up on these 4501's and haven't had a repeat yet. Anyone can confirm this ? Thanks.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Memory stick on controller

Slow printing on a network is usually something in the driver settings or the network. The following can cause slow printing:
    1. Use of the WSD port and not TCP/IP address or netbios name. This is common when IT lets Windows setup a new printer automatically.
    2. Use of the Ricoh Class driver and not a Ricoh model specific PCL driver. Again a result of allowing Windows to pick the driver.
    3. Not using a print server to act as traffic cop on the network. Forces the MFP to have to resolve network collisions.
    4. Graphics setting can also cause slow printing.

I have seen 1 and 2 above combine to cause a 1 page PDF take nearly 30 minutes to queue.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

In a word no, copiers dont work like windows PC's.
    Most important is to ensure your fw is the latest versions then update all drivers.
    Also check the users are printing via IP & not WSD.
    Slow printing can have many causes but these are the most common.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

IT is not my strong point, infact it is pretty basic, so forgive me if my questions seem naive. If port has not shifted from TCP/IP and PCL driver is still in use, then would memory have any effect ? Basically, what is the effect of the memory, if the MFP has a certain memory, others have more in the initial spec and others have less, there is an expansion slot, what is it for and when is this used ? Lots of jobs, large print files ?

Specific issue last week, an office with half a dozen computers , all seemed to be printing as normal, I couldn't see any delay, but if someone from a more remote location tried printing it seemed to lag behind a bit, thats why my first thought went to adding some memory, as we have a few spare machines lying around that could sacrifice an extra memory stick.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    IT is not my strong point, infact it is pretty basic, so forgive me if my questions seem naive. If port has not shifted from TCP/IP and PCL driver is still in use, then would memory have any effect ? Basically, what is the effect of the memory, if the MFP has a certain memory, others have more in the initial spec and others have less, there is an expansion slot, what is it for and when is this used ? Lots of jobs, large print files ?

Specific issue last week, an office with half a dozen computers , all seemed to be printing as normal, I couldn't see any delay, but if someone from a more remote location tried printing it seemed to lag behind a bit, thats why my first thought went to adding some memory, as we have a few spare machines lying around that could sacrifice an extra memory stick.
    A more remote location? Does that mean that they were coming in on a VPN or a dial in connection? What is the speed of the remote connection as compared to the LAN? My guess is that it is slower by a factor of about 50 to 1. Remember, the speed of the remote connection is going to be the speed of the slowest link. In most cases that is the upload speed of the remote computer. Example, I just tested my cable connection. It gave me a download speed of 29.53 mbps and an upload speed of just 2.52 mbps. My local cat 5 connection speed to my switch is 100 mbps.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Sorry Slim if I wasn't too clear. When I said remote I meant, the immediate office where the MFP is located and its surrounding desks, and remote as in from the next door/room offices. I'd still like to know about the memory.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The MP C4501 comes with 2GB of memory. Previous color models such as the MP C4000 and MP C4500 came with 1GB. Others came with as little as 512 MB.

Some previous B/W models that were available in a basic version that did not have printer/scanner function. Many of these basic versions only had 256MB or at most 512MB. The printer/scanner option for those with 256MB included an additional 256MB strip for a total of 512MB.

Too much ram could actually result in memory management slowing the machine down.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks slimslob, so what functionality does the mpc4501 with 2gb memory do better than the mpc5000 with 1gb memory ?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

My guess is that 2GB memory strips cost Ricoh less in the quantities they purchase.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

My guess is that 2GB memory strips cost Ricoh less in the quantities they purchase.
    not really the answer I was looking for...