Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP201- Tray 1 Stuck

MP201- Tray 1 Stuck

A customer just called me. I wouldn't normally post prior to even looking at the machine myself, but I've seen this issue twice before and they were both at a wholesaler when I was buying machines.
    The issue is Tray 1 would only pull out about 1/2"- 3/4" and then its stuck and there is no moving it without breaking something.
    I fooled with them for a short time turning the machines upside down, wiggling the drawer, sliding in a coat hanger to try and feel 'something' and then just moved on as I was short on time, so I never found the solution.

I initially thought that the machine(s) may have fallen over in transport and somehow the paper end guide had come loose on the and was jammed uowards somehow, but I don't think that was it.

In the case today, the machine has been working away without issue nearly forever, and she just wanted to top up the drawer. It's not even empty, and she's actually still able to use it.
    I have no idea what could have come loose to cause this, yet have it still still work properly?

Anyone else come across this, and have any tips, before I get there and force the thing out and destroy something?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP201- Tray 1 Stuck

Re: MP201- Tray 1 Stuck

Every time I have seen this problem it was caused by a broken rear side fence.

MP201- Tray 1 Stuck

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Every time I have seen this problem it was caused by a broken rear side fence.
    That makes sense. Any trick to get the tray out? Or should just go ahead and force it, and make the repair afterwards?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP201- Tray 1 Stuck

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    That makes sense. Any trick to get the tray out? Or should just go ahead and force it, and make the repair afterwards?
    You may have to just force it. Be prepared to replace the paper out sensor.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP201- Tray 1 Stuck

DO NOT FORCE IT!!! Just take the output tray off, like you would to remove the fuser, and you should see the end fence underneath the power supply. With that cover off you can reach down in there and move then end fence to free up the tray. (OUtput tray/cover has one screw on left hand side of machine, open front cover to release hook).

MP201- Tray 1 Stuck

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    DO NOT FORCE IT!!! Just take the output tray off, like you would to remove the fuser, and you should see the end fence underneath the power supply. With that cover off you can reach down in there and move then end fence to free up the tray. (OUtput tray/cover has one screw on left hand side of machine, open front cover to release hook).
    Thanks guys!
    Issue resolved by the time I arrived. And in this case, it was the end guide, and they managed to work it out, so it seems this one wasn't as jammed up as I've seen before, but thanks for the tip on removing the output tray, because I'm sure I'll see this again

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

http://i.imgur.com/XStAict.jpg

If you tip the machine back and poke a screwdriver up through that hole near the end fend it tends to knock the paper in the tray around enough to pop the fence loose and it will fall over. If there isn't paper in the tray you might be able to poke it with a took through the hole.

It's best to replace them when this happens because that often means the parts that retain the end fence in place have gotten weak and it will likely happen again.