Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Re: MX-3115 Random C4-00 codes

Quote Originally Posted by ctuinstra View Post
    The first thing we did was to replace the TC and the clutches per the bulletins. It does it for us so random, it's hard to know if we are making any headway. I'm beginning to wonder about the high voltage leads and receptacles.

The one time it did it for me, I noticed the paper stopping 2/3 the was out of transfer. About the last two inches of the image on the page had very light and blurry (not jittery) transfer just as if the transfer bias has issues. We are going to replace the TC board again since this was one from Hytec and the primary transfer unit, secondary unit and the PTC unit as a set. We'll see....

Yeah don't rule out a bad board from Hytec. I've had some failures in the past. double check your installation on the TC board and make sure all the lead contacts are making solid connections.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    PaperCut can easily be disabled for testing. Settings > Application Settings > External Application Settings > Disable (take note of which server(s) were enabled before hand). When you reboot, you will return to the standard screen, when done return the External Application Settings to Enable, and enable which ever server setting(s) where previously enabled.
    Unfortunately, the equipment was picked up by the driver and it was never disabled while still connecting to the server. In the shop it takes over a minute for it to time out trying to connect to the server. Until then, you can't even get into service modes. After the time out period, we can get into the service modes, but have no access to Settings to be able to turn it off. A real bummer when one is trying to work on the equipment and we are locked out of it.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    You can usually figure out which part is causing the problem by looking at the image on the ITB (or paper, if it got that far).

If the image is not formed, almost appearing as a black smear, then the clutches are the usual cause.
    If the image is formed, PTC.
    If no image, or partial image, TC board.

For me I go through the following order for C4-00, in order of precedence:

Update firmware, if needed.
    Replace PTC.
    Replace TC board.
    Replace ITB cluches.

Relevant bulletins: Attachment 37544, Attachment 37545
    The one time it did it to me, there was an image on the paper while stopped in the machine. We have a PTC on order, along with other items, and will try that next. We have already applied the bulletins.

Technician

Here is the final on this. The last thing I did to the machine while in the shop was to replace the TC board again (even though the first one was for this same issue), replaced the PTC again (and again was originally replaced for this issue), and the 2nd transfer (I really didn't think this would do any good, but why not). Since replacing the parts, we have run thousands on it. I have a batch file that will LPR a three page print job to the machine every five minutes to simulate an office environment and it's been running 24 hours a day for the last couple of days. I have not had another C4-00 code. Sorry not hard conclusive answer to what caused it, I'm still not 100% sure it won't come back. But that is the final, I've scheduled for the machine to be returned to the customer.