Page 15 of 107 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    I find it kinda difficult to see who the sheep are. The ones who believe scientists on the "for" side, or the ones who believe the scientists on the "against" side.
    I count myself outside either of those groups, mainly due to my own personal common sense. Summers are hot, winters are cold, and +/- 2 degrees centigrade isn't going to destroy everything. That, and there is no definitive proof that the planetary ecosystem is being irreparably damaged. If humans were capable of destroying the planet, wouldn't some crackpot moral nihilist already have done it?

When an outspoken majority agrees with an opinion and demands any opponents be silenced, rather than engage in an intellectual discourse, I stand against the majority.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    I count myself outside either of those groups, mainly due to my own personal common sense. Summers are hot, winters are cold, and +/- 2 degrees centigrade isn't going to destroy everything. That, and there is no definitive proof that the planetary ecosystem is being irreparably damaged. If humans were capable of destroying the planet, wouldn't some crackpot moral nihilist already have done it?

When an outspoken majority agrees with an opinion and demands any opponents be silenced, rather than engage in an intellectual discourse, I stand against the majority.
    Do you actually believe a majority of pro-climate changers "demands any opponents be silenced"? I'm sure you can find some fringe that is fanatical, but there are fringes on both sides of any argument.
    People who refuse to look at both sides with an open mind are the sheep.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Anyone who blindly follows without questioning.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'm certain we are contributing, deforestation, paving everything over, pollution, over population, it all adds up. I think that some countries do a much better job keeping the local environment under control, but many don't or just can't. I'm fine helping countries that don't have the money to fix these issues, but when I see China and the thick smog settling over their cities, or India and the massive garbage dumps that can be seen from space, the idea of taking more of my hard earned money to throw down the disposal for these nations makes my blood boil. Sea levels have risen and dropped for millennia, you can see records of this on the bottom of the Atlantic and the Gulf, and you can also see beach deposits inland when the sea level was higher. None of these events were "man made". I don't think polar ice caps melting makes the sea rise any more that melting ice in a cup of water causes your drink to overflow. There certainly are land masses covered with ice, but the percentage is so low that these melting aren't going to make a significant difference to the sea level either. I would be more worried about water trapped in the earths crust escaping and causing flooding than any thing else. BTW Mars seems to be getting a little hotter..Amazing how 1 or 2 rovers can effect the Martian climate. I think a 50% cut in the world population would curtail any man made problems, but sadly, we are on the way to 10 billion in a few decades. Think it's tough now??? Emujo

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Do you actually believe a majority of pro-climate changers "demands any opponents be silenced"?
    Most politicians do. The liberals in Sacramento even tried last year to make skepticism or denial of man made climate change a criminal offense.
    https://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf...cism-criminal/

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Most politicians do. The liberals in Sacramento even tried last year to make skepticism or denial of man made climate change a criminal offense.
    https://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf...cism-criminal/
    This bill failed. It was never passed and did not become law.

"A landmark bill allowing for the prosecution of climate change dissent effectively died Thursday after the California Senate failed to take it up before the deadline.
    Senate Bill 1161, or the California Climate Science Truth and Accountability Act of 2016, would have authorized prosecutors to sue fossil fuel companies, think tanks and others that have “deceived or misled the public on the risks of climate change.”"

Landmark California bill would allow prosecution of climate-change skeptics - Washington Times

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

If the left leaning users here are to believe the "Heartland Institute" and 'Sterling Burnett's' articles, than the right leaning users should accept progressive and liberal sites. JMHO
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    I thought the link was fairly obvious in describing that climate change and the heavy $ damages it has already inflicted is likely going to increase the cost of property insurance across the USA in the next 12 months. Even for those people who choose not to believe in climate change, caused by man or not, they will be effected by increased costs.
    The link includes not a single reference to global warming or climate change. All the link discusses is the probable increase in insurance rates following the hurricanes because of damage payouts. And yes my insurance on my home went up after last years hurricane Mathew hit where I live, a strong category one weak category 2 storm. Hurricanes are a fact of life in the southeast and gulf coast. And usually there is a discussion of probable insurance rates rising as a result of storm damages. I sure the remember them in the local news after Hugo hit here in 1989. And after Andrew struck Miami. And then after Sandy came ashore in the gulf.

Can you actually pull up a quote from the article you linked to? No never mind I know you won't there are none other than your own imagined connection.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Climate scientists widely agree that climate change did not cause devastating Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and now Maria, hurricanes are naturally recurring events. Unfortunately, climate change and global warming, caused increased sea temperatures which made these storms much more intense and much more destructive.

As Hurricane Harvey will be the most expensive storm in US history, property insurance rates have to rise.

Even if you do not believe in Climate changes caused by human activity, your cost of property insurance will likely increase in the next 12 months.