Page 18 of 107 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    Side question:
    Can solar power generators (otherwise known as those black roof panels) and their related accessories be sufficiently hardened against EMP?

#toolazytogoogleitmyself
    #KimJongUnIsNoKimJongFun
    #RocketMan
    #IThinkItsGonnaBeAJongJongTime
    the control unit would be affected... but not the panels nor the batteries

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    Side question:
    Can solar power generators (otherwise known as those black roof panels) and their related accessories be sufficiently hardened against EMP?

#toolazytogoogleitmyself
    #KimJongUnIsNoKimJongFun
    #RocketMan
    #IThinkItsGonnaBeAJongJongTime
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    the control unit would be affected... but not the panels nor the batteries
    In order to protect the panels would require sufficient shielding that the panels would be useless because solar energy would be unable to reach them. The control panel, batteries and inverter can be shielded.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    In order to protect the panels would require sufficient shielding that the panels would be useless because solar energy would be unable to reach them. The control panel, batteries and inverter can be shielded.
    -= from my understanding =- .. an EMP doesn't affect any thing that doesn't have a "processor chip" in it.. solar panels do not ( I have a customer that makes the panels, and was given a grand tour of his plant ) and neither does the deep cycle batteries that stores the power. ONLY inverter and control panel have them.

that is why we preppers are always looking for the older trucks/cars that do not have a processor board in it

Retired 10,000+ Posts

-= from my understanding =- .. an EMP doesn't affect any thing that doesn't have a "processor chip" in it.. solar panels do not ( I have a customer that makes the panels, and was given a grand tour of his plant ) and neither does the deep cycle batteries that stores the power. ONLY inverter and control panel have them.

that is why we preppers are always looking for the older trucks/cars that do not have a processor board in it
    It affects anything conductive by inducing electrical current sufficient to fry any type of equipment. It is most destructive to any solid state device such as a processor, an amplifier or a photo voltaic cell. Current induced in a battery will explode the battery. Unprotected conductors too small to handle the current will melt and possibly cause fires.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

-=

"that is why we preppers are always looking for the older trucks/cars that do not have a processor board in it
    "

What do you mean by "preppers"? Is that slang for someone who wants to prepare for any emergency?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Didn't a solar storm shut everything down in the 50s? That was like a huge EMP.

Personally, I do not believe in EMP weaponry. People have been talking about dirty bombs for years, and I have yet to hear of anyone actually producing one. I think it's only theoretical.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post

Personally, I do not believe in EMP weaponry. People have been talking about dirty bombs for years, and I have yet to hear of anyone actually producing one. I think it's only theoretical.
    For what it is worth EMP includes all sorts of different sources for interference. There have been nuclear weapons designed specifically and tested to produce EMP. There are also other natural occurring EMP effects, lightning for instance.
    Q: Why do nuclear weapons cause EMPs (electromagnetic pulses)? | Ask a Mathematician / Ask a Physicist

And then there is the home built little nasty devices. EMP devices do not have to be high powered. They can actually be made to really tick off your neighbor. Don't know it it is effective or worth the effort but your can build your own. Oh yeah just a little side fact. Static electricity is also considered an EMP source. Ever walked across a carpet and fried an old radio? I have and even some newer digital watches when I got zapped after walking across a deep pile carpet. Then there is the electro/magnetic field of power lines. You can hear it on your car radio if you sit under a power line at a red light occasionally.

https://www.electronicproducts.com/P...ectronics.aspx
    Last edited by gneebore; 09-29-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I just don't think they exist as an effective weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post

dirty bombs aren't EMP devices... they are a low dose fission explosions at ground level

High altitude fusion detonations are the EMP variety higher power

https://nuclear.duke-energy.com/2013...the-difference

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

While talking about the very unlikely event that of a EMP attack over America is interesting, it is a distraction from the human tragedy that has been happening to the American citizens of Puerto Rico caused by Hurricane Maria.

Both Texas and Florida seem to be making progress in recovering from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma but Maria is going to be a long drawn out event due to the massive destruction of infrastructure on the island.