Dicka24

I need help propertly networking my Toshiba es2309A

Hi all, let me start by thanking everyone in advance for any help/advice they might give. I own a small family business. We have 5 employees including myself, and we use Windows 7 based computers. We recently purchased a Toshiba es2309A. The purchase did not include network set up, so I opted to take on the task myself. It's been frustrating to say the least, but I did get it to work eventually. The problem I'm having is that the unit doesn't respond to print requests initially, or immediately. If I send something for it to print it does nothing 90% of the time. I see the print request in the printers log on Windows, but nothing prints. I then cancel, run the troubleshoot in windows, and try to print a test page a few times. Eventually a while later a test page prints, and I can then successfully print the file I originally intended to. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the "sleep" or energy saving settings on the unit, if I need to network it differently, or adjust some settings. Needless to say the manual is not user friendly, and there is scant info or videos online that might help.

Toshiba es2309A (with a Toshiba wireless dongle installed)
    Comcast internet with Mororola Surfboard SB6121
    TP-Link TL-WR841N router
    Five Windows 7 based network PCs (Cat5 wired network)

Again, thanks for any help and advice.

Rick

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: I need help propertly networking my Toshiba es2309A

Quote Originally Posted by Dicka24 View Post
    Hi all, let me start by thanking everyone in advance for any help/advice they might give. I own a small family business. We have 5 employees including myself, and we use Windows 7 based computers. We recently purchased a Toshiba es2309A. The purchase did not include network set up, so I opted to take on the task myself. It's been frustrating to say the least, but I did get it to work eventually. The problem I'm having is that the unit doesn't respond to print requests initially, or immediately. If I send something for it to print it does nothing 90% of the time. I see the print request in the printers log on Windows, but nothing prints. I then cancel, run the troubleshoot in windows, and try to print a test page a few times. Eventually a while later a test page prints, and I can then successfully print the file I originally intended to. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the "sleep" or energy saving settings on the unit, if I need to network it differently, or adjust some settings. Needless to say the manual is not user friendly, and there is scant info or videos online that might help.
    Toshiba es2309A (with a Toshiba wireless dongle installed)
    Comcast internet with Mororola Surfboard SB6121
    TP-Link TL-WR841N router
    Five Windows 7 based network PCs (Cat5 wired network)
    Rick
    1) make sure you have a static IP for the printer.
    2) confirm that you can ping the printer
    3) use auto define network speed ( fastest possible)
    web into the machine to make necessary changes to the config.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The wireless dongle on those ..well..sucks. It's just a little USB stick dongle and it's low power. I would highly recommend wiring it with CAT5e or better to the router.

Get out your cellphone, install a wifi signal strength app and stick it behind the copier.
    what's the WiFi signal strength?

I second the static IP, it's a must in smaller 'home use' quality networking structures and equipment, give it something outside the DHCP range of the cramcast modem or the router - whichever is the DHCP server.

Use an IP port for the printer setup and point it to the copiers static IP in wondows and NOT a WSD port because it's wonky in wondows.

Do NOT use the print driver windows auto chose from windows update, it's not a true Toshiba driver

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Step 1. Call a trained Toshiba install tech
    Step 2. Watch them configure your Print/Scan functions
    Step 3. Write Check for 1.5 hrs labor
    Step 4. Enjoy your new Toshiba copier

Advice: Run a Cat-5 cable, WiFi is just one more thing you'll need to fix again and again later so unless it's absolutely necessary, don't use it.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I know of no MFP or printer that offers any sort of dependable wireless functionality. No idea as to why, but they all seem to suck. You need to be wired if you want reliability.

IMHO, the words “wireless” and “MFP” don’t belong in the same sentence.

If it’s impossible or impractical to run a cable to the copier (as it is in my house), pick up a converter of some type to change the wireless to wired.

Lotsa choices (there is no such thing as a “converter” per se), but in my case I used a wireless range extender that has 4 ports on it. A trip to the local Best Buy, Fry’s, or the like will be quite beneficial.

It’s located a few feet from my printer, and the 2 are cabled together.

Cost me less than $50, and it took more time to take it out of the box and plug it in than it did to configure it.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Lotsa choices (there is no such thing as a “converter” per se), but in my case I used a wireless range extender that has 4 ports on it. A trip to the local Best Buy, Fry’s, or the like will be quite beneficial.

IOGEAR - GWU627 - | Wireless Ethernet | WiFi Ethernet

We use these.
    They seem to work pretty well and they are cheaper if you get them in bulk.
    We mostly use them for our postage machine equipment due to the fact that this equipment is still newish to using the internet and not a dial up analog connection so the customers infrastructure where the mailing equipment goes is still old as dirt....use the wall wort for power and not usb though.