Field Service Engineer 50+ Posts harps05's Avatar

Printing from 2 seperate networks

Hey Guys,

We are currently tendering for a new client. One of their requests is, the ability to print to one MFC from 2 seperate networks. Apparently Kyoceras' have 2 nics' which gives it the ability to do so.

Is this possible and how could this be achieved. For the sake of it, let's say they take a new CR4.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Printing from 2 seperate networks

Yes, you are right. Kyocera definitely can do this. Extra network interface card is needed I have one customer that is sharing offices with another company. They are connecting two networks to one MFP. you will set up one network card to one network and the other network card to the other company's Network. Not sure if the sharps can do this. It's sometimes referred to dual Nic.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

If you have an open USB port you can have an extra network connection. Just buy an inexpensive USB print server and set it up. Something like this:

Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-PS310U Single USB2.0 port MFP Print and Storage server, supports 4-port USB hub extension, Firmware upgradable: Computers & Accessories

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

If the 2 networks are using they same router/modem for their internet then you can print to the Sharp from both. You will have to manually enter the address on the other networks computers. Have done this with some of our clients. If they are two physically separate networks then it depends on if your Sharp copier has wireless capabilities then you can do wired and wireless and have them set to 2 different networks.Or at least that is the theory!!

Good luck.

Bil

PS That's assuming they have wireless setup within their office.

Field Service Engineer 50+ Posts harps05's Avatar

Thanks Guys

I dont get it...
    What kind of networks? Both are using NAT and they are on different network layer without physical connection?
    Basicly you dont need 2 network interfaces - i'm surpised there are machinces built this way. There are several ways acheiving the goal.
    You can put a simple router (the cheapest one on the market - you dont need Cisco to do the job) with static routing. You can even put a 5$ switch to connect both networks and the printer but this will definately cause serious DHCP problems since both networks will share the same data-link layer so each machine on these networks should be set with static ip address. So the 5$ solution (as expected) is the worst scenario.
    If both networks have internet access (no matter they are using NAT) you can asign a real IP address to the printer (if your ISP provides some) making it totaly accessible from everywhere. In this scenario you will have to turn-on auditing at least or put the printer behind firewall who will accept TCP/SYN request on ports 21,23,80,515,631,9100 only from speciffic networks or hosts.
    You can use a PC with 2 network cards to act as a bridge between these networks but using MS windows for routing jobs...tnanks,but no-thanks!
    Pesonaly if this is important job and i seek for security and versatility i would put as a router old PC running Linux and configure each interface and routing rules the way i like it. But this is only if I need to configure strict access rules including (if needed) MAC filters,port redirections etc. Actualy my AR-C260m is with real ip address (my ISP provides 5 static IPs per corporate clients as standart option) so i can access it even from home.
    At last: you said you are tendering for a new client. A company,right? And they have 2 networks inside the offices? Why 2 netowks - they need client isolation between networks but they will share 1 printer? They dont need client isolation but they have more than 253 host computers and they dont know they can use class B network? And they dont have a network administrator??
    ...Because everything you described is the job of their network administrator - not yours. They can share between networks even old 80 column dot-matrix Epson from the 80's. Depending on the network topology inside this company the goal can be acheived even without any aditional devices but a simple LAN cable. Everything depends on the network topology inside that company and unless you have more details - there will be many possible solutions,but noone will know the simpliest and most efective one.

Cheers,
    Stoyan