Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ecosys M2535dn (pos) DV Unit Missing...

Hi all.

Have a 2535 that says that it lost its DV Unit and to install one. Has anyone dealt with this issue before and if so, how did you fix it. To us, it is looking like the main board. We replaced the DV Unit and did not fix it. Please help.

Oh, Happy New Year and yeah...

J

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Ecosys M2535dn (pos) DV Unit Missing...

J,
    Seen it twice, and the Main PWB resolved the issue on one of them. The second one I did not want to spend the money on, so I wound up installing a resistor between two of the toner container sensor legs and that resolved it. I am not certain now of the resistor value (don't think it is real critical), nor do I remember which legs, but could probably figure that out by looking at the wiring diagram again. The machine looks at that sensor to determine if the DU is installed or not.
    CP

Thanks CP! I looked in the manual and there are 3 wires, one 3.3v, middle empty and last is ground. Which ones did you put the resistor on knowing this? Greatly appreciate the help as I'm not much of an electrical engineer
    J

Technician

i had the problem, "install dev unit" message
    the problem: generic toner empty,
    the solution: replaced with a new original toner

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mad View Post
    Yep I have had many generic toner cartridges cause this problem, but I must say I have never had to replace main pcb

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ecosys M2535dn (pos) DV Unit Missing...

Mine was empty genetic toner on a 1135. Barely saw the machine flash "toner near empty " in between errors. Otherwise I don't know if I'd ever put 2 & 2 together

Quote Originally Posted by mad View Post
    What you're saying is use OEM? We tried using a new Gen Toner and it still came up. Sooooo much fun...(not!) And I'm sure that the boss will love this solution, that is if I can get him to order the cartridge. Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated..

Here is what you can do to keep machine working by now, but I'm strongly recommend you to clean up whole dev unit and then initialize it with OEM toner and then use only OEM.
    It's just 2 steps that might be useful for you.
    1 - You need to initialize new toner cartridge via procedure 130 (set developer). After it's done - you need to remove empty cartridge from Dev unit.
    2 - Stick the scotch tape with quarter (or another coin that you have) - in hole, inside Dev unit, - in front of the toner sensor. That way you "telling" machine that it has toner cartridge up top of dev unit.
    And that's should be pretty much it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Practic View Post
    Here is what you can do to keep machine working by now, but I'm strongly recommend you to clean up whole dev unit and then initialize it with OEM toner and then use only OEM.
    It's just 2 steps that might be useful for you.
    1 - You need to initialize new toner cartridge via procedure 130 (set developer). After it's done - you need to remove empty cartridge from Dev unit.
    2 - Stick the scotch tape with quarter (or another coin that you have) - in hole, inside Dev unit, - in front of the toner sensor. That way you "telling" machine that it has toner cartridge up top of dev unit.
    And that's should be pretty much it. Good luck!
    After all what we did, that did it!! I'm trying to get my boss to start ordering OEM toners but I think that he is going to figure out how to keep 'Quarter' fix in the dv unit....
    Thank you so much for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by jqueen View Post
    After all what we did, that did it!! I'm trying to get my boss to start ordering OEM toners but I think that he is going to figure out how to keep 'Quarter' fix in the dv unit....
    Thank you so much for the advise.
    I fight this battle everyday and have pretty much just given up and told the boss if he want to use non OEM toner I don't mind throwing parts at machines and we'll see who saves money in the end. Doesn't matter to me....it's his money...
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."