Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Technician

Re: 368 - new series DNS scan to smb issue

Does the computer or server your scanning to have a password set up on it, Ive noticed that if the you dont have a password the machine dosent like it. We add a 2nd user called Scans and apply a password to that account and set up the shared folder it seems to like that a bit better.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingrepairguy View Post
    Does the computer or server your scanning to have a password set up on it, Ive noticed that if the you dont have a password the machine dosent like it. We add a 2nd user called Scans and apply a password to that account and set up the shared folder it seems to like that a bit better.
    That's my "must do" step when I setup scan to SMB.
    And even when user already has password, sometimes it doesn't work with that account, and I need to setup 2nd one. It's strange but it works.

One other thing which I encountered lately:
    Windows 10 (fall update version) fresh install comes with SMB v1.0 disabled.
    Server connection error occurs. SMB 1 should be enabled (installed).
    Update on older instalations doesn't change this (SMB v1 stays enabled).
    Problem is only on new instalations where SMB v1 is disabled by default.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by MVPunisher View Post
    I have ran across this at a few installs lately where the new series will not connect to a host name. Most of our customers are scanning to email or to a server where it is not an issue.

But like today for an example. Replacing a bizhub 364e that scans to the 10 individual PCs on a smaller netowork. Plug the new copier in and it will only scan to ip address. Dns is correct, tried messing with all sorts of settings. I cannot ping the PCs host name from the copier. I can however ping the copiers host name from a Pc. I can also ping host names from pc to pc. So clearly DNS is working on the network, and even the copier "one way".

Not the first customer where this has happened. Anyone see anything I'm overlooking. Thanks.
    Try Creating a new User then in new user properties remove in member of so it won't display in login window.Also in network smb put in domain name.Enable DFS
    hope this is helpful.Click on the link below for more info

Configuring the SMB Transmission Environment

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by REGSIS View Post
    That's my "must do" step when I setup scan to SMB.
    And even when user already has password, sometimes it doesn't work with that account, and I need to setup 2nd one. It's strange but it works.

One other thing which I encountered lately:
    Windows 10 (fall update version) fresh install comes with SMB v1.0 disabled.
    Server connection error occurs. SMB 1 should be enabled (installed).
    Update on older instalations doesn't change this (SMB v1 stays enabled).
    Problem is only on new instalations where SMB v1 is disabled by default.
    Use caution when enabling SMBV1. There is a reason this was disabled. I believe it was the "Wanna Cry" virus. By enabling SMBV1 you are exposing the customer to this risk. Admittedly it seems like there is no other choice when in fact there are fixes. Firmware and other copier settings. Permission settings on the computer.

A tool I have been using recently is "Event Viewer" This is built into windows so it does not require and other installation of software. In the search just top in "Event Viewer" and it will be found. Then scroll through too:
    Application and Service Logs
    Microsoft
    Windows
    SMB Section (SMBClient, SMBDirect, SMBServer, SMBWitnessClient)
    When you click on each section there is an Audit, Connectivity, Operational, and Security

I have found most of my fixes under SMBServer, Security. Just look at the times and open it and read the errors. If there is communication is reaching the machine usually there will be an error of some kind. Sometimes it makes sense such as communication from SMB1 when SMB1 is disabled. The confusing one comes in to play when the error is related to authentication and you know the login and password's are correct. Then it is a matter of permissions on the computer not being correct someplace. This could be password not meeting security settings, (length/characters), sharing in "Advanced Permissions", etc,...

Sometimes services get turned off with windows updates a few I have found are:
    Function Discovery Provider Host

Function Discovery Resource Publication

SSDP Discovery

TCP/IP Netbios Helper

UPnP Device Host

DNS Client

Device Association Service

A couple of the above settings will also keep "Network Discovery" from staying enabled. It can be turned on but then you exit and go back it is off again.

If you run into a problem that everything works and after a very specific time each time check the "ARP" table settings. Had one years ago that after 15 minutes the copier IP dropped out of the Arp table and the copier would no longer email. Tried 5 different copiers and manufactures and customers IT still blamed the copier because they did not want to figure out why on their end.

And of course another option is FTP. IT will of course say FTP is not secure. Anonymous can be urned off and and use a login to make it secure.

The above is no guarantee of a fix but has helped get a few stubborn scans working. Since we support 3 manufactures the copier settings do not always work. Most of the reasons why SMB does not work is at the PC. It is just a matter of figuring out what the PC wants. I'm starting to look at using "WireShark" to read some of the reasons why SMB works and does not work. I'm new to WireShark so unless I find something specific I probably will not be updating on this thread about. I'll start a new one for that.