Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: T1200 MFP printer/scanner question

Oops. Here's the old part.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    T1200 MFP printer/scanner question

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Kiran--does a transmission include the encoder wheel and sensor, do you know?
    I don't believe so.

Your scanner is the same as I listed. The CQ653A is the part number for the printer & scanner married together.

Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by D Hook View Post
    Picture of the media transmission that was replaced and the specialty tool they charged us for. The tool came in the same box as the transmission. Also picture of the box they both came in together.
    I'm sorry, but they charged YOU for a tool so they could fix your printer?? Wow. I've never had a situation where I had to replace one of those motors, and thus don't even have that tool. You could turn around and sell it and the motor on ebay and get some of your money back at least. That little tool is about $200 from HP. And you know the motor is good (thoroughly tested.

But to make you pay for the tool.. I find that really insulting and unprofessional.. sorry. I hope you can find someone else more competent to work on your printer. I guess the good news is, they at least did right by getting the tool at all.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Well, I thought it was strange also. Not sure that's going to get paid for entirely, especially since the replacement didn't fix the problem.

I just tried doing a paper calibration and got this result. They told me they did a paper advance calibration but I don't think they got a successful calibration done, since I've tried doing this calibration about 4-5 times now, both before and after they replaced the media advance transmission part.

Not sure what the "Scanning Problem" is though. If you look close, you can still see the skipping in the pattern it printed, especially easy to see on the bottom row of "ZZZZ's". Is it possible something is dirty on the bottom of the carriage, not allowing the pattern to be scanned? Or is it possible it is sensing those skips and cancels the calibration because of them? Don't know.

EDIT* BTW, that was printed out on a single sheet of paper 11 x 17. Not on the roll feed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scanning problem usually means the line sensor can't 'see' the print to scan it.. usually due to the wrong media being used. The manual says to use HP Universal Instant-Dry Photo Gloss. I'd suspect any photo paper would likely work.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks. I have a roll of glossy on hand. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Is it the line sensor that does the scanning function? Tried photo satin paper today and kept getting same error message. Will try to find some glossy photo paper tomorrow.

I worked on a Z6100 that refused to recognize the maintenance cartridge and it turned out to be the line sensor was bad, even though the LED was lit. Just wouldn't read. So that might be the next part we replace.

Thanks for reading. Any info anyone might have is much appreciated. I REALLY don't want to get beat by this POS!

I should have said this sooner; I don't think you're going to get a successful advance calibration with the paper advance problem you're having. I would resolve that first. The calibration isn't going to fix it.

Replace the roller encoder disc and sensor. The disc likely has either ink/dirt on it or a worn spot through the encoder lines. They're relatively easy to replace.

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    I'm sorry, but they charged YOU for a tool so they could fix your printer?? Wow. I've never had a situation where I had to replace one of those motors, and thus don't even have that tool. You could turn around and sell it and the motor on ebay and get some of your money back at least. That little tool is about $200 from HP. And you know the motor is good (thoroughly tested.

But to make you pay for the tool.. I find that really insulting and unprofessional.. sorry. I hope you can find someone else more competent to work on your printer. I guess the good news is, they at least did right by getting the tool at all.

Kiran
    Personally--I would have charged the customer, but they would not have known I was charging for it. Either I would have included it in the price of the transmission, or hiked up the service fees or something. I just mean--I wouldn't put money into a tool that I was only going to use for one single job. Then again--I probably would have charged for the tool and part together (as a kit) and left the tool with the customer. I've never done this job either, and I have no idea what tool you're talking about.

Anyway, I would follow Kiran's advice, and I think you'll be fixed. Replace the encoder wheel and sensor, then do the calibration.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I'll contact them tomorrow hopefully. They told us they replaced the encoder disc but I don't think they replaced the sensor.

We'll keep working at it.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.