Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: T1200 MFP printer/scanner question

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Maybe I missed it but did they give you the special tool, that didn't work? I think you have a legitimate complaint. First off if I needed a special tool and it's a tool I wouldn't use much than I would do one of two things, like another poster said hide all or some of the cost of tool in the bill, or better yet tell the customer about extra charge for the tool, GIVE it to customer when job is complete and tell them it is a tool they will need for "proper calibration" in the future.

Hearing what happen with the original poster of this thread I feel bad. Wouldn't want that to happen to me. I must run my small business differently, can't remember last time I walked out of a customer's office with the machine still not repaired and handing them a bill. If I'm going to start guessing with parts than I feel an obligation to eat it if wrong. I will always try and research a strange issue before I start guessing with parts, special tools, etc.

Personally I would call the service manager and talk to him and about lowering bill. Point him to this forum. I hate these companies & techs that guess with part after part than after all is said and done they have the balls to hand you a bill to pay for all their wrong guesses! Than blame on something seriously wrong like a main board, etc etc. then walk away saying machine is shot. Bad business! Makes all of us look bad.
    They did leave us the tool after I asked them to. And the used media transmission and motor attached to it. But not the encoder disc.

They want to replace the carriage next but they're not sure that's the solution either. We're looking at other options. Omaha doesn't have a lot of Designjet repair techs available it seems.

Thanks!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    T1200 MFP printer/scanner question

Call HP directly and explain everything that has happen up to this point. Ask them for an "authorized" dealer in your area who can get factory support if they cannot resolve the issue. Tell them you will be buying new equipment soon and will not buy HP if you cannot get proper service/support!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Call HP directly and explain everything that has happen up to this point. Ask them for an "authorized" dealer in your area who can get factory support if they cannot resolve the issue. Tell them you will be buying new equipment soon and will not buy HP if you cannot get proper service/support!
    This is true. HP can send someone at a cost and it's a flat-fee regardless of what it takes to get it fixed. At least that's how they used to do it. I haven't inquired about it in many years.

Get the encoder disc replaced.

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I didn't know about the 86:01. If I had, I would have assumed the technician caused this. I wonder if it happened this way:

They see the 86:01 and it's described as a "paper jam." So they think in terms of driving the paper, and get the transmission & the encoder disk. They also clean or replace the encoder strip... maybe because they realized THAT's what would cause the 86:01. But they have to install this transmission, because the customer paid for it and the tool.

I've never seen the tool, so I don't know how it works. But I'm thinking they don't either, and they either used the tool wrong, or did the install wrong, and that's what is causing the problem.

I don't understand how they can charge that much money for that tool. The pics I'm seeing of it, it's just a little piece of plastic with a spring. I couldn't even afford one of those. I have to save up to buy a new screwdriver set.

Before spending more money on more parts (other than an encoder disk), I would start over and re-install the transmission. I'd bet my left arm that something was installed incorrectly.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I posted up a picture of the tool and the transmission/motor on post #21, if you're curious what it looks like.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    ... They see the 86:01 and it's described as a "paper jam." So they think in terms of driving the paper, and get the transmission & the encoder disk. They also clean or replace the encoder strip... maybe because they realized THAT's what would cause the 86:01. But they have to install this transmission, because the customer paid for it and the tool.
    This wouldn't surprise me. So many techs don't go for the 'least expensive item first' method. 86:01 is almost always caused by a encoder strip or encoder strip sensor problem. Unless the carriage is actually crashing into the media. Then if it's not that, you go for the roller encoder disc and sensor. THEN maybe its a carriage PCA problem with the encoder strip sensor? Or trailing cable, or EMOD... But like I said before, of all of the printers I've laid hands on, I've only replaced maybe 1 or 2 paper advance motors. Running the diagnostic tests should almost always lead you to the failing part. Though this is obviously a paper advancement issue, so that narrows it down pretty well.

And like the suggestion this tech has of replacing the carriage. Why replace the entire carriage? Unless it's physically broken, you just replace the parts.. like the carriage PCA. But there's no way the carriage is the issue here.

Also the paper advance calibration will not fix this gap in the paper advance; it's only for correcting fine gaps in carriage passes during draft mode. If there's a choice to restore the factory advance setting, I would do that and leave it alone.

I find it highly suspicious that they replaced the media encoder disc given the issue still remains. I would replace it again, and inspect it with a magnifying glass or scan it like I did.. look for defects in those tiny lines. I'm certain that's where the problem is at this point.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

UPDATE:

Got the Designjet 800PS 42 working with the scanner and all the computers that need to print to it are set up with the proper driver and everything is working as it should.

We're beginning to talk to the company whose techs worked (are working) on the T1200 to see about what we're going to pay for and what we're not going to pay for. Since the media advance transmission wasn't the solution we're going to see about having them come and reinstall the old part and take the new part (and the tool) back. Then have them put on another encoder disc. Our supervisor doesn't feel it's right to pay for a part that didn't fix the problem. I passed on the comments from this thread and he's starting to understand that maybe those techs aren't doing the job.

So that's where we are right now. Still looking for another T1200 to replace this one.

Thanks everyone! Your advice and support has been outstanding! At least we can print again!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Update #2:

Brought the T1200 home to work on. I have a T790 here that has ink station issues so I'm going to try swapping the encoder wheel and maybe the transmission from that into the T1200 and see if that fixes the problem. We're still using the 800 to print on and it's working very well but I'd like to find out the problem with this one just for my own knowledge base. I'm betting it's either the encoder wheel or the gear set that the transmission connects to to move the paper.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I was going to replace the Media Drive and Encoder wheel/sensor with parts from the 790 but noticed this in the Service Manual:

"NOTE: Never install a previously used Endoer Sensor PCA. This can cause serious problems and may make the printer unusable."

Anyone have an idea why this is?

I see used ones on LPS and on ebay but don't want to brick the formatter or something else.

I've removed the right hand cover and the sound made when the printer skips is defintely coming from the left hand side.

I removed one of the gears that drives the Print Zone roller and it makes the skip disappear when printing line drawings but it's still there when printing renderings.

My next move is to take the Media Drive transmission out of the T790 and install it into the T1200. Was going to do the same with the encoder wheel and sensor but ran into that note in the service manual. I STILL think it's a mechanical issue, not software, because of the consistency in spacing of the skips.

I think you're safe using the encoder from another printer. These printers do store things like the model and serial number in odd places, but the roller encoder isn't one of them.

I'm glad you're getting to the bottom of this issue! I'm curious to see what the problem ultimately is.

Kiran