Technician

Ricoh c820dn Paper Creases when Duplexing

Hi All,

I have a new issue with our Ricoh c820dn. When I am duplex printing tabloid sheets (11 x 17) I am RANDOMLY getting a crease in the paper.

I think it would be the back half of the sheet. Printer has a new transfer belt and NEW OEM Richoh fuser/roller kit installed recently.

Is it the fuser that is doing this causing this or could it be something else?

I have a pile of flyers that I need to print so I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions.

Thank you!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh c820dn Paper Creases when Duplexing

When the fuser parts were replaced, did this include the Press Roller?? Or is it a complete fuser unit (which I'm thinking it is if it was a Kit).

How old is the paper you're using? Sometimes if that paper sits in the tray or on the "storage shelf" too long, it will "absorb" some moisture (depending on conditions of office environment), and that "damp" paper can cause the wrinkles. (Try a fresh new ream of paper as a test).

Good Feed Rollers in machine?

You can check to make sure the side/ end fences in the paper tray are right up against the stack of paper (not too tight though).

Check to make sure it's not hitting some kind of obstruction in paper path (burr on a guide, metal static teeth on transfer/separation unit, Warped duplex guide).

Technician

Thank you for the suggestions. To your questions:

1) Yes, this was a fuser kit with the roller.
    2) New paper from a fresh ream, but the paper gets used fairly quickly.
    3) No obstructions that I can find and the pickup rollers were recently replaced also.

But I do have one possible cause ... When we had a Ricoh Tech come out several months ago to replace the broken black unit that the new roller snaps into (sorry, I don't remember the name) he peeled off a clear plastic film and then reapplied to the new case. I don't think he did a good
    job because it's not really "perfect".

Also, this piece he replaced sticks when I open the side door. He fiddled with the machine to try to fix this but it didn't really work...

Does this help at all? Do we need to have another tech come out?

Technician

I may have fixed my problem. I removed that clear plastic strip because it wasn't stuck back on smoothly. I could feel some ripples in it.

Since removing it, the printer stopped having these random creases.
    Last edited by chadderuski; 09-06-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Nice! Glad you fingered it out. That's the "Transfer Roller Case" you are talking about, and the rear plastic pin breaks off of those all the time. They have updated parts for that issue. Can you still move that unit up and down? You say it "sticks" when you open the door..? Do you mean the mylar was sticking, or that unit is sticking? If the whole unit is sticking, it may be broken again, or the bracket on the frame of the machine that the unit "docks" with could be broken (Something to check). I remember following after another tech that did the same thing with the mylar!! Rarely can you "re-use" a mylar without it falling off or causing problems like yours, best to slap a new one on there, if needed. in your case it'll be fine without it.

Technician

Thank you for the follow up.

"Transfer Roller Case" ... I'll remember that! Yes, we had one that had broke and was replace by a Ricoh tech.

The replacement "sticks" when I open the door because it's pressing up against the fuser casing Like it's a bit too tall.
    The tech tried to fix this by bending the bracket some, but it didn't seem to matter.

After opening the side door, I can push the case down a bit and it closes with out hitting the fuser.

Machine is printing fine without the mylar strip. The replacement Roller Case did not have the mylar.

Thank you again for the help and info. You guys have done a lot to help me keep this machine running!

Quote Originally Posted by chadderuski View Post
    Thank you for the follow up.

"Transfer Roller Case" ... I'll remember that! Yes, we had one that had broke and was replace by a Ricoh tech.

The replacement "sticks" when I open the door because it's pressing up against the fuser casing Like it's a bit too tall.
    The tech tried to fix this by bending the bracket some, but it didn't seem to matter.

After opening the side door, I can push the case down a bit and it closes with out hitting the fuser.

Machine is printing fine without the mylar strip. The replacement Roller Case did not have the mylar.

Thank you again for the help and info. You guys have done a lot to help me keep this machine running!
    The common cause for the transfer case catching when you open the door is the two guides on the machine side that guide the transfer unit home have broken.
    It happen about 6 out of ten times from what I've seen.
    If it keeps happening it will break the latch for the transfer roller.
    I've attached the parts for you to see what I'm talking about.transfer guides.JPG

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Hi All,

I have a new issue with our Ricoh c820dn. When I am duplex printing tabloid sheets (11 x 17) I am RANDOMLY getting a crease in the paper.

I think it would be the back half of the sheet. Printer has a new transfer belt and NEW OEM Richoh fuser/roller kit installed recently.

Is it the fuser that is doing this causing this or could it be something else?

I have a pile of flyers that I need to print so I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions.

Thank you!
    I agree, I know that the plastic side guides on the machine have been re-encoded / modified, like some parts of the PTR group

Technician

Are the position guides adjustable? They look fine.

When I have the side door open and am looking at the roller case, the inner portion appears to be spring loaded, and there is a slot guide at the top with a good 3/16" of movement so I can push the roller portion down.

If I push the roller portion down, it doesn't catch on the bottom of the fuser.

I also checked the "ears" on the roller case and these look okay (not broken) but they look
    awful small in comparison to the guides.

I am wondering if I was given the proper case for my machine. The Ricoh tech did have to break off a small "tongue" that was sticking out but said that was not big deal.

Are the position guides adjustable? They look fine.

When I have the side door open and am looking at the roller case, the inner portion appears to be spring loaded, and there is a slot guide at the top with a good 3/16" of movement so I can push the roller portion down.

If I push the roller portion down, it doesn't catch on the bottom of the fuser.

I also checked the "ears" on the roller case and these look okay (not broken) but they look
    awful small in comparison to the guides.

I am wondering if I was given the proper case for my machine. The Ricoh tech did have to break off a small "tongue" that was sticking out but said that was not big deal.
    Those guides I mentioned also have a small tongue at the top to stop the transfer roller assy from going behind the guide when the duplex door is closed.
    The guide would look complete to an end user but a tech would notice whether or not it was intact.
    Best chance of a good result is to call a tech and stop trying to save a buck fixing it yourself...you'll just end up either going around in circles or making matters worse
    Maybe ask for a different tech this time.
    If he's having to snap parts off a transfer case to make it fit then you might be better off with a different tech.