Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: T1200 MFP printer/scanner question

Decided to just order a new encoder disc.

Tested WITH the white gear in place:

PWM AVG: 8480 / 8449
    Speed Error: 159.75 / 34.25
    St Dev.: 60.57 / 45.30
    PWM MAX: 8460 / 8638

Tested WITHOUT the white gear in place:

PWM AVG: 7823 / 7909
    Speed Error: 127.75 / 31.75
    St Dev.: 61.20 /49.76
    PWM MAX: 7983 / 8138

Checked the service manual and it says:
    "The first PWM avg result (forward move) should be between 7700 and 10560 and the second PWM avg (backward move) between 7600 and 10450".
    "The first Speed error result should be no more than 78.65 and the second no more than 112.5"
    "The first PWM StDev result should be no more than 162.5 and the second no more than 187.5"
    The first PWM Max result should be no more than 12250 and the second no more than 12125."

Still getting the high friction warning without the gear in place.
    So it looks like there's some numbers way out of whack.
    I haven't adjusted the media drive transmission yet until I get the new encoder disc.

While I was doing the testing, it started doing the skipping thing again so I cleaned the encoder wheel again because I could see a bit of a smudge on the outside of the wheel. Took care of the skipping. The smudge was there when I removed the left cover so not sure how it got on there.

Once I get the encoder wheel in, I'll do a new alignment on the media drive transmission and see if that fixes the friction warning.

Thanks for reading.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

UPDATE:

I went ahead and replaced the encoder disc with one from a T790. Before replacing, I tested the alignment on the media advance transmission and found it to be out of alignment. Tool was difficult to slide in place, indicating something wasn't sitting correctly. There are three screws that hold the transmission in place, one at the top and two at the bottom. Loosened all three and placed the alignment tool on and held it in place while tightening the three screws. When finished, the tool was bound up and wouldn't slide off easily. So I loosed all three screws again and tightened them one by one, checking that the tool was able to easily slide off between each tightening. The bottom two were fine but when I tightened the top screw, the tool got too tight. So I backed that screw off just a little bit until the tool was loose enough to easily slide off.

I no longer get the "High Friction" warning.

The "speed error" reading is now 22.75 / 14.25. That's a significant difference.

The "PWM St Dev" is now 47.72 / 42.41

The other numbers are similar to what they were earlier WITH the white gear in place.

Did some test prints and had no 81:01 error and everything worked as it should.

So I'll replace the encoder disc with a new one when it gets here and test it out for a few days and see if the problem is solved.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    T1200 MFP printer/scanner question

Good job!

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So I installed the new encoder disc today and did media advance testing and all the numbers came out just fine. No High Friction warning, no 81:01 errors.

Went ahead and put it all back together, tested again and it started skipping, just like it did before.

Took it back apart and found grease on the new encoder disc. WTF! I was so careful when installing the new disc!

Looked at the BACK side of the black spittoon cup that sits over the encoder and media advance drive gears and found piles of grease all over the back side/top of the cup. Also could see a track where the encoder wheel had been dragging through the grease. Not sure how the grease got there, whether from the factory or if the guys that worked on it before added it.

Cleaned all the grease off, put it all back together again and it's working fine.

That's something I should've checked when I first took it apart I guess. Just never thought to closely examine something as inocuous as the spittoon cup.

Live and learn.

So we'll use it for a few weeks and see how it behaves before declaring victory.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    T1200 MFP printer/scanner question

Wow.. well I'm glad you found where the grease was coming from! I seem to remember working on a printer (5000 maybe) that had a mountain of grease added to the helical gear on the paper advance motor. Like enough grease for 100 printers. Came from HP that way.

Also got a service station once from HP that had about a quart of the oil they put into the absorbers.. and it didn't leak out until I put the box on its side on my couch. Picked it up the next day and there was a huge stain on my couch and the box was soaked.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted!

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Been a couple weeks and no issues. Everything on the printer seems to work as it should now.

Of course, we had a power surge that toasted the power supply on the wide format scanner that is paired with this printer about a week after the printer went down. Checked for replacement PS and cheapest was around $250, with HP wanting about $385. Did some research using the model number on the power supply and found it's the same one sold as a replacement for a small form factor HP computer. Bought a brand new one for $29.00 off ebay, slightly higher wattage and installed and now the scanner is back up and running. But will need to go back into the scanner touch screen and do some adjustment on the extra wires that the new power supply came with like SATA power, etc. Need to trim those off and shrink tube the ends to make sure air flow is good.

So we're back up and running. (knock on wood)