Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HPDJ Z3200ps photo printer with Error code 79:04 44" model

Re: HPDJ Z3200ps photo printer with Error code 79:04 44" model

Try powering it up with the printmechPCA disconnected; unplug the ribbon cable to it from the EMOD. See if you get any different results. Could be you have a bad printmech board and it wasn't driving the service station correctly. Hard to know though!

Kiran

Kiran,
    I will give that a try. Why would it be hard to tell?

DR

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Kiran,
    I will give that a try. Why would it be hard to tell?

DR
    It would be hard to tell because HP's diagnostic codes can be vague. The code that you're seeing may be occurring because any previous step of initialization did not complete (that did not pull a code). Frustrating is too mild a word for this situation. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I don't always like the answer, but I have to agree on the vagueness.

DR

Kiran,
    I unplugged the prt mech bd & pwr'ed up. I got a 22.1:10. Pwr'd down and unplugged both prt mech bd ribbon cables. Got a 1.1:10 code. Pwr'ed down and reconnected prt mech bd and pwr'd up. This time the carriage moved and the svc station came back to life. Then it ask to have the paper path cleared when therewas no paper loaded. It moved the carriage in and out of the service station and the svc station was working. ( I ran the svc station diagnotic and it passed. Then it started the preparing printing system. I could hear and see it doing stuff. After the last step it asked for yellow ink and to have the two prt heads on the right replaced. I replaced the ink with a new after market ink
    and reseated the print heads. No joy on the yellow ink, it is stuck on that one. Put the old one back in and the same thing, it asked for the yellow ink to be replaced. Tried to run the IDS diagnostic and it errored out on the bongo, error BPS2.
    Ran the svc station diagnotic and it passed. And it just passed the electronics modual diagnostic.
    Restart and it give an 86:01 code and asks to have the paper path cleared when there was no paper loaded.
    That ended my day at 630pm.
    I'm going back today to double check on the symptoms. I will post the results later today or tonight. Now I'm getting a couple of call in and will need to respond to those.

Thanks for the help

DR

I sent you a PM (I think.. I've been sick as a dog.) Sounds like you have a bad encoder strip. I think you said you cleaned it and inspected it but found places where the lines had come off..? Also on the IDS test... I wouldn't worry about the error so much; the test is kind of a joke. If the bongos are moving, it's likely fine.

Kiran

Day what ever it is on this thing.

So I replaced the encoder strip, no problem and started to run the calibrations. OK so when I power it up it goes through the scroll 100%
    and starts the initialize part. It checks for paper and asks for it if not loaded. Then it checks it and knows if it is skewed. Then it wants
    to cut the paper. It goes over to get the cutter and does a double bump and leave the cutter behind. Then it goes to return the cutter
    and does a single bump and picks it up. As it goes in to the svc station it stops with an 86:01 code. It does this consistently.
    With the window sensor tripped and the window open I can manually make the cutter unlatch from the carriage and it acts normal.
    I thought I will run the calibrations so it will know where it is at. It passed the 3 service station calibrations.
    It errored out with a 58:11 code ESP fail during the carriage test. So I turned it off when that window was displayed and it passed the carriage
    calibration. Ran the ESP cal and it passed. Don't know if it's on or off at this point. Move on to scan axis.
    It passed the star wheel lifter. During the PRS test it gave a message "position unknown".
    Tried the line sensor and got this message "line sensor to black fail, return error 1".
    It also failed the cutter test, like it did not know how to pick up the cutter it did the double bump and left it behind.
    I did get it to print an alignment image but it did the double bump and left the cutter behind.

This machine is running me in circles. Can someone help me out of this loop? I think once I can get the thing to initialize without the 86:01 code
    it would finish the others. It still acts like it does not know where the carriage is. I say this because it picks up the cutter at the wrong time and
    jams the carriage as it try's to enter the svc station.
    I also got a couple of other codes. 58:11 color sensor ESP and a 42:10 high friction error. And I did lube the guide rod with 3 in 1 oil. A very lite coat.

Thank and I hope everyone had a nice turkey day.

DR

It will break the cutter if you let it keep trying to drag it into the service station!

Well you're certainly onto the problem; the carriage position is wrong. The only thing I know of that would throw it off, is a bad or wrong encoder strip. Or maybe, you have something blocking the carriage movement at either end where it gets its absolute position from.. but that's a guess.

You can try removing the cutter and see how it performs.

Are you sure you got the correct encoder strip? I had a customer once who tried to repair their own printer.. and in the process damaged the encoder strip so he got another one. Only problem was, he got the wrong one. I spent an entire day trying to figure out what was wrong.. finally looked at the part number on the actual encoder strip...

Try the scan axis test without the cutter and see what happens?

Make sure you can slide the carriage all the way to the right until the side of it touches the metal panel on that side. Also check that the carriage is secure to the belt. With the carriage free, try gently moving the carriage while pulling the belt. Make sure the carriage can't move independent of the belt.

You'll find the culprit eventually!

Kiran

Also I wouldn't suspect a bad carriage PCA (where the encoder strip encoder is,) but it's possible. Or a bad trailing cable. But I would think with your description of how it's working otherwise, these two parts are OK. If you're certain the encoder strip is correct and installed correctly and have ruled out everything else, then I would have to start suspecting the carriage PCA and trailing cable.

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Also I wouldn't suspect a bad carriage PCA (where the encoder strip encoder is,) but it's possible. Or a bad trailing cable. But I would think with your description of how it's working otherwise, these two parts are OK. If you're certain the encoder strip is correct and installed correctly and have ruled out everything else, then I would have to start suspecting the carriage PCA and trailing cable.

Kiran
    I had a Z3200 with similar problems. Replaced the encoder strip, nothing. I can't remember what else I replaced, but I ended up replacing the entire carriage unit, and that fixed it. I don't think I replaced the trailing cables... I'm not sure why I didn't try those first. And I think I would have tried the PCA instead of the entire carriage, but I usually don't give people that option.